Mwo Gameplay :( Long

10 replies to this topic

#1 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:06 PM

I have been playing since late beta and with anything new it's very exciting in the beginning. However, today, I don't feel like the game has really moved beyond the beta elements.

I feel like many of us have focused too hard on balance, balance, and more balance. While it's true bad balance can make a great game bad, as much as I hate to say it, MWO was never a great game, just a good game.

There is nothing wrong with a good game, especially if the company is riding on profits, but for players, well good games are a dime a dozen these days, once we move beyond the glitz and glam of a new toy we quickly move on from good game to good game and occasionally find what we consider a great game.

It's not to say a company didn't do good work, MWO is great for an intense quick fix, but if you are looking for more than that it's just rinse and repeat.

I feel that Gameplay / Game Modes were the initial priority a few of the other issues would be a little easier to solve while adding some replayability to the game.

While I played MWLL, I seemed to have more fun once you managed to actually establish a decent match.

This didn't come easy though, MWLL had a lot of shortcomings from public development, access to the Cryengine source, lower graphic fidelity, buggy servers, latency issues, player population, and just general accessibility. You felt like you accomplished some great feat if you managed to ever get the mod working and stay in a game long enough for it to end.

MWLL was introduced with deathmatch also, well with a respawn. Not everyone cared for the respawn, but it also didn't feel like you were being cheated when you died immediately to something you didn't see coming. Nonetheless I still grew bored of it, respawn or not, it wasn't the issue. It would play roughly the same way as MWO with the typical engagement points, people trying to play it safe to get the next mech upgrade.

MWLL eventually released a base capture option, and I really feel that is where everything changed. People were all over the map, there were multiple engagements, there wasn't the one line that was always fought over every single time, it always felt exciting. I didn't feel like the goal was to get the most kills or highest damage, but to secure a win for the team. Eventually I left MWLL because the populations were not around when I was available to play, around the same time MWO development was announced.

While I am not stating that MWO needs exactly the same gameplay elements or style, gameplay options are missing and the game feels stagnant since beta.

If we had something more along the lines of MWLL it would open things up that people are complaining about, keep in mind I am not saying it has to be MWLL.

1.Weapon balance: More short range brawling would be possible when hold a base behind walls or engaging other short range units hold a base you needed to cap. Currently everything is peakaboo, high alpha. Clan mechs have terrible heat, if people could push on them they would fall apart, right now there just isn't a reason, heck people even build non sustainable IS mechs. ACs would have a bigger role for sustained fire and suppression. LRMs could be useful on more open maps especially with greater sight lines.

2.Purpose for lights: Hit and run on important map points, caps, sensors for enemy units, general map mobility. Lights could also be rewarded

3.Purpose for assaults: camping bases or assaulting camped bases, mobility wouldn't always mean survival.

4.Firing lines: Would be open, with all the flocking we have now assaults can't shine, they get stuck behind other units without being able to open up with their high alphas. They can push forward and pray they get assistance, but in pug play its suicide.

5.Boredom: or less of it.

6.Damage: Wouldn't be king, lights could actually do something else to earn points instead of running around in the quickest heaviest laden short range alpha strike boats. Assaults could get credit for defense or attack even if they only were able to take down a mech

Honestly I am not even sure how some of this would work without being able to swap chassis mid battle or some limited respawn, I just wish this game would have more to it than new chassis. I play this title less and less, I only return because it's part of a genre I really enjoyed on the PC. MWO may never be a great game, if not only for the genre alone, but it certainly could be better. Hopefully CW can be straightened out to help.

Edited by Zypher, 19 September 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#2 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

I been saying this for a long time. MWO is on a treadmill. There is nothing compelling about playing Team Death Match with different skins and slightly different geometry among classes.

There is a laundry list of things that could have made MWO a top flight game.

I don't think they can salvage CW at this point. This event hasn't even spiked its participation.

#3 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

I would recommend checking out http://mwo.netbattletech.com/

See if you can find a unit. It doesn't really change the mechanics of the game. But the fact you have to use mechs that your faction produces or your unit has to purchase them off the black market. Makes for interesting matches. At least so my unit tells me. It has it's problems too. But it's more practical than expecting them to change the game in some big way.

#4 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 19 September 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

I been saying this for a long time. MWO is on a treadmill. There is nothing compelling about playing Team Death Match with different skins and slightly different geometry among classes.

There is a laundry list of things that could have made MWO a top flight game.

I don't think they can salvage CW at this point. This event hasn't even spiked its participation.

CW doesn't need to be salvaged, many players prefer it over the regular queues, myself included.

The only thing wrong with this game is that when somethign starts to work, PGI breaka the crap out of it.

CW came out and balance was coming along witht he quirks, so I spent money on the game this year... the game is now off track again and focusing on mech packs and BAD balance ideas.... money is going to stop being spent now.

#5 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

My thoughts on this tournament this weekend (yay! I get to reuse this image!)

Posted Image

#6 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostLORD ORION, on 19 September 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

CW doesn't need to be salvaged, many players prefer it over the regular queues, myself included.

The only thing wrong with this game is that when somethign starts to work, PGI breaka the crap out of it.

CW came out and balance was coming along witht he quirks, so I spent money on the game this year... the game is now off track again and focusing on mech packs and BAD balance ideas.... money is going to stop being spent now.

Cool. You like a CW that has none of the elements they laid out from 3 years ago. Good for you. It is entirely unacceptable since there is no reason to play it. There is no reason to actually push for planets. No bounties. Rewards are not worth the time but you keep enjoying it that is your prerogative. I see the amount of people in the CW queues. It is pathetic even with an event such as this.

Edited by GRiPSViGiL, 19 September 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#7 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:08 PM

View PostRhaythe, on 19 September 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

Posted Image

That's still more variety than we had once upon a time.

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:11 PM

View PostRhaythe, on 19 September 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

Posted Image

I think that needs to be updated for the current meta.

Also, I got a tingly feeling when I saw the Wubhawk on the bingo board. :D

#9 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:19 PM

View PostFupDup, on 19 September 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

Also, I got a tingly feeling when I saw the Wubhawk on the bingo board. :D

Put'er on there just for you. The PeaceDove needed some representation.

I'm not acquainted with the meta enough. What updates need on there?

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

View PostRhaythe, on 19 September 2015 - 08:19 PM, said:

Put'er on there just for you. The PeaceDove needed some representation.

I'm not acquainted with the meta enough. What updates need on there?

Well, I think that 3 Gauss doesn't really apply anymore, since only 2 charge at a time. It's pretty rare to see more than 2 on a single mech now. 3 ERPPC is something that definitely is also rare. 2 PPC + AC/20 and 2 PPC + AC/10 are rare. 14 CERML doesn't need to be explained... SRMs aren't really that great right now, so many remove SRM36. Stretching "Meta" across 4 boxes takes up more space than it really needs to...

Probably want to add Magic Jesus Box and a box for Stormcrows. Also add Wubshee. Probably needs 6 ERML + Gauss. Honorable mention goes to the Urbanmech. Also add PSR Hell. Dual Gauss should be mentioned. Maybe add 6 MG Spider and 3-Second Jenner for lulz. Consumables (namely artys/air) should be mentioned. RNGesus might be relevant...

I think that Override should probably be on the outside instead of being the center. Maybe replace the center with "I'm having fun" (maybe even use the picture)? Maybe the middle could be the Paulconomy?

There needs to be a ggclose box in there somewhere, no question about it, and maybe even a #rekt one too.

Edited by FupDup, 19 September 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#11 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:39 PM

You, sir, are brilliant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users