#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:46 PM

Even though I seldom come around here anymore (because the Forums are a bit depressing, IMO, and the Fan Creation stuff has sadly been dead ever since the 2013 revisions), I reckon as a commission artist I do need to advertise, even if.. well, TBH, almost nothing ever came from advertising here.

That said, hey got my first official CGL Battletech assignment made official, and released to share, post GenCon. pg 61 of the new "Shattered Fortress" sourcebook, the lead art into Section 4: "The Dam Breaks" depicting the "Battle of Dieron".

Posted Image

Dunno if I'll keep up on it, really depends on if mood, circumstances and commissions keep the art juices flowing.

But for now, instead of running 1000 posts, I think I'll try centralizing again.
Some are WIP, will be updated with final pieces as they are finished, but here is where I am sitting on current projects:

Whelp, due to Photobucket's shenanigans, I have closed both accounts there. Anyone curious why,
http://photobucket.com/p500/

https://www.ghacks.n...-hosted-images/

Vulcan
Posted Image

that's it for now. Feel free to give feedback, critiques, etc. Also, feel free to look over at my DeviantArt page, contact for commission work, etc.
http://bishopsteiner.deviantart.com/

Cheers, fellow mechwarriors..... see you all dirtside!

Oh...and with the recent Photoshop bullcrap causing me to lose all my links... and thus having to take down my stuff....
Posted Image

and a new edit:
Posted Image
http://bishopsteiner...Mini1-694319110

Virgin casting of the Dingo. Gauging interest now, more info in the link.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 08 August 2018 - 06:29 AM.

#2 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:59 PM

So much win in one single thread.

#3 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:04 AM

Easily the best Vulcan design ever.

#4 kracked49

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 103 posts
  • LocationI quit!!!

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:23 AM

Great work! I like it. Keep it up.

#5 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:46 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 20 September 2015 - 12:04 AM, said:

Easily the best Assassin design ever.

100% agree.

(sorry Jou, I couldn't resist :P)

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 20 September 2015 - 12:46 AM.

#6 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:51 AM

Possible if you could do the Kodiak in MW: O style? I got no money to throw for requests/ commission but you can have my eternal thanks ^^

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 20 September 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

Possible if you could do the Kodiak in MW: O style? I got no money to throw for requests/ commission but you can have my eternal thanks ^^

well, thanks don't buy art supplies ;) , so no promises, but one never knows when the urge to do a Kodiak might hit, regardless.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 September 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#8 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

very impressive.

#9 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 September 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

well, thanks don't buy art supplies ;) , so no promises, but one never knows when the urge to do a Kodiak might hit, regardless.

to not offend but I think you did most of these on your on will for the sake of battletech love and assuming this was done on paper before editing/ computer, A pen isn't that expensive and/or it's ink [wella very good pen may, but it's still cheaper to buy a pen/quill / pencils for the whole year instead of buying a marauder pack just for the sake of a warhammer coming in ^^;]

However I could give you possibly a game from steam since I can pay with steam- eh... a pack from MW: O may do not I do think 20 dollars for a commission for a drawing of a kodiak is a bit to much... as much as I would love throwing money at you due to recent surgery and economic instability in NZ I do not have the space/ time to throw money ^^;
I can easily give you dino d-day from steam. I got a spare copy....

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:08 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 20 September 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

to not offend but I think you did most of these on your on will for the sake of battletech love and assuming this was done on paper before editing/ computer, A pen isn't that expensive and/or it's ink [wella very good pen may, but it's still cheaper to buy a pen/quill / pencils for the whole year instead of buying a marauder pack just for the sake of a warhammer coming in ^^;]

However I could give you possibly a game from steam since I can pay with steam- eh... a pack from MW: O may do not I do think 20 dollars for a commission for a drawing of a kodiak is a bit to much... as much as I would love throwing money at you due to recent surgery and economic instability in NZ I do not have the space/ time to throw money ^^;
I can easily give you dino d-day from steam. I got a spare copy....

not trying to milk anything from you. But as someone who supports himself in part by doing commission artwork, it's generally bad business to make exceptions.

What you say about love of the game is true, as is the need to practice. That is how some of the pieces you see like the Cicada came about. My needs/doodling coincided with something. And so, like I said, one never knows when the inspiration will hit and I crank out a Kodiak. I have messed with it in the past, and never been satisfied, so haven't posted. But, without trying to sound harsh, no, I have no plans to drop paying commissions to focus on forum freebies.

If it happens, it happens. Tis just how it works.

#11 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:36 PM

Impressive.
Do you have a funky Stalker by chance?

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:56 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 20 September 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

Impressive.
Do you have a funky Stalker by chance?

it's an older piece, but yeah..... made it before MWO had introduced one.....
Posted Image

#13 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 September 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

*snip*

My better half does art commissions, so I completely understand that concept and feeling. It's best policy to never cave on anything like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To comment on the art, though (did reference the deviant link for more info/details/backstory on the pieces):

1. The Vulcan IIC concept you have there is absolutely wonderful in both aesthetics and conceptual hardware. I wish I could have that design for MWO as a Hero Mech or something (seriously . . . 2 flamers and 8 machine guns . . . absolutely beautiful). I look forward to eventually getting the Vulcan in MWO, regardless of incarnation.

2. The Enforcer does a rather surprising job of putting a more anime-esque pose into the MWO art-style for impressive effect. I normally don't care as much for that embellished "come at me bro" type positioning but in this case it just . . . works. I applaud you there.

3. I want that Urbanmech. Period.

4. I saw it on your Deviant page, but not here (understandable . . . good to get people to actually go to your page). "40 Tons of Freedom". Yeah . . . I want to see all of those mechs in MWO . . . especially the Clint. That mech would make a glorious Contrast to the Cicada as a very tanky 40 ton fighter . . . especially if they quirked it right for the role. However, the Whitworth could fill a very unique role in MWO as a very low tonnage IS missile boat (either SRM/SSRM scrapper or fast LRM striker). That image is just a beautiful collage of MWO art-styled mechs.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:12 PM

View PostSereglach, on 20 September 2015 - 08:58 PM, said:

My better half does art commissions, so I completely understand that concept and feeling. It's best policy to never cave on anything like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To comment on the art, though (did reference the deviant link for more info/details/backstory on the pieces):

1. The Vulcan IIC concept you have there is absolutely wonderful in both aesthetics and conceptual hardware. I wish I could have that design for MWO as a Hero Mech or something (seriously . . . 2 flamers and 8 machine guns . . . absolutely beautiful). I look forward to eventually getting the Vulcan in MWO, regardless of incarnation.

2. The Enforcer does a rather surprising job of putting a more anime-esque pose into the MWO art-style for impressive effect. I normally don't care as much for that embellished "come at me bro" type positioning but in this case it just . . . works. I applaud you there.

3. I want that Urbanmech. Period.

4. I saw it on your Deviant page, but not here (understandable . . . good to get people to actually go to your page). "40 Tons of Freedom". Yeah . . . I want to see all of those mechs in MWO . . . especially the Clint. That mech would make a glorious Contrast to the Cicada as a very tanky 40 ton fighter . . . especially if they quirked it right for the role. However, the Whitworth could fill a very unique role in MWO as a very low tonnage IS missile boat (either SRM/SSRM scrapper or fast LRM striker). That image is just a beautiful collage of MWO art-styled mechs.

thanks. Appreciate it when folks understand. In my case, I live in a foreign country where I cannot work locally (yet), and so have to support myself through various online endeavors, and this is one of them. Sometimes people take it the wrong way, which is unfortunate, but love of the game doesn't pay the bills.

A few of those other DA pieces I need to clean up and post as finish pieces, along with this Stalker. Do need to revisit the Clint though, really not in love with what I did with it. Whitworth is pretty close conceptually, though. Sentinel....undecided.

But ATM, those are more time killers, than anything. Need to focus on resume and work pieces.

I usually avoid the anime feel, but sometimes, the dynamism draws me. Am still feeling out my own "style" tbh. Got a Vindicator Commission I am finishing up that might capture it....less technical than Shim or Alex, but not anime cartoony.

I am liking it, but only time will tell. One thing about the Enforcer, that surprised me, is that it's garnered more favorites on DA than any other piece of mine, and only been up for 24 hrs.

#15 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:00 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 September 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

*snip*

No kidding. I swear the number of people who seem to think my other half just magically craps art supplies and that labor doesn't mean anything are ridiculous. Granted, some things are cheap . . . but good micron pens, oil paints, and other supplies are frigging insane. Let alone "starving artist" syndrome while just trying to get by and pay bills.

Anyway, while I sadly cannot afford to commission anything, I greatly appreciate you sharing the hobby pieces you're doing. I'd love to see the Clint's final product when you revisit it. I shall patiently wait for your hobbyist inklings to bring you back to it. Despite my pyro tendencies, the Clint is one of those mechs I've always just liked. It's a solid mech.

I think the Enforcer is a good representation of that style you seem to be moving towards. I wish many good commissions your way as you come into your own style.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:07 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 20 September 2015 - 10:24 PM, said:

People just don't understand how much art supplies cost and how hard it is for artists to make a living off of art. Like Tombose Pro Pen sets that cost like 200 dollars, or paint sets from Liquitex that are around the same price, they just don't see how expensive it can be to be an artist. I am currently trying really hard to do commissioned work myself right now to try and get a little money for college so I sympathize with your struggle here Bishop. Thanks for the mechs and such you post here, they are really inspiring.

My favorite of yours here is that Mackie. You made that thing look so badass it's awesome.

Yeah.

I use cheap paper, for most stuff, because most things get transmitted digitally these days. Other than that?

Drafting pencils start at 5$ for cheap ones, $30 starting point for small sets of Graphites, Colored Charcoals, or Watercolor Pencils.

My last set of Manga Markers was $500 USD. And even usually working 8x12 surfaces, your primary colors rarely last more than 2-3 pages. I run through greyscale sets like a chain smoker though Marlboros. Microns? 5$ a pop.... and with their tips, you almost never even get to see the last of the ink, as they are so delicate.

Conversely, my tablet? Once bought, it's bought. Mind you, you can go way crazy. I would actually do digital art if I could afford the tablet that PGI uses, etc. Alex makes me very jealous, lol.

I do free hand art because that is my comfort zone and preference, but it certainly is not the less expensive option.

And that doesn't even touch painting, and other such things I have done.

#17 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 September 2015 - 05:07 AM, said:

Yeah.

I use cheap paper, for most stuff, because most things get transmitted digitally these days. Other than that?

Drafting pencils start at 5$ for cheap ones, $30 starting point for small sets of Graphites, Colored Charcoals, or Watercolor Pencils.

My last set of Manga Markers was $500 USD. And even usually working 8x12 surfaces, your primary colors rarely last more than 2-3 pages. I run through greyscale sets like a chain smoker though Marlboros. Microns? 5$ a pop.... and with their tips, you almost never even get to see the last of the ink, as they are so delicate.

Conversely, my tablet? Once bought, it's bought. Mind you, you can go way crazy. I would actually do digital art if I could afford the tablet that PGI uses, etc. Alex makes me very jealous, lol.

I do free hand art because that is my comfort zone and preference, but it certainly is not the less expensive option.

And that doesn't even touch painting, and other such things I have done.

Wow... And all I've got is a 20 cent pencil and a 30 cent eraser. All my drawings are drawn on 5 cent per sheet printing paper.So all in all, my drawings would cost a grand total of.... 6 cents!

Edited by GonaDie, 21 September 2015 - 05:32 AM.

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:33 AM

Liked for Commando especially Love the dynamic pose.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:51 AM

View PostGonaDie, on 21 September 2015 - 05:31 AM, said:

Wow... And all I've got is a 20 cent pencil and a 30 cent eraser. All my drawings are drawn on 5 cent per sheet printing paper.So all in all, my drawings would cost a grand total of.... 6 cents!

there's your starting point.

Material cost will increase as specifics and complexity does (plus the longer you do this, the more you discover how much headache some things save you. I didn't learn to appreciate paper stubs, for instance til about a decade ago. Proper gum erasers? Wow what a difference, etc). Some of it is simply time it saves, quality control it enhances, and techniques you can now regularly incorporate ( one can twist toilet paper as smudging stubs... but will never have the speed and control as with the prerolled ones. As an example)

Then comes the factor most people overlook with commission work: TIME.

How many draft, concepts, etc do you think Alex or Shimmering Sword go though for every finished piece you see? I know for me it's at least 4 to 1. When in the zone, I can knock out a concept, depending on complexity in 15 minutes to an hour. That's for a rough pencil sketch. And mind you, when I'm in the zone. There are whole days I can't knock out credible stick figures.

For a finished black and white line art piece? 2-3 hours of actual "pen time", but often with quite a few iterations, scans, edits, reprints, etc in the process.

What is your time worth? In the USA today, realistic non poverty wage for a 40 hr work week is about 15 bucks an hour. That ain't middle class, that ain't living the good life, but just paying the bills, with a used car, etc.

So figuring 4-6 hours of time invested in most commission pieces, one might think, 60-100$.
Well, reality is going rate seems to be closer to half that. So on a good run, unless you get a patron, employer of some sort, you are probably making minimum wage.

Mind you, most of us are compulsive itinerant doodlers, and anytime we are sitting down, our hands are likely sketching on any surface we can find. I do most of my best layout work while watching football, for instance.

But when doing commission work to pay the bills? It's a different world, sadly. In fact, it can downright sap the joy from doing artwork, which is why I would not recommend pursuing it to most people. It doesn't pay well, you are NOT your own master, and it can be downright drudgery. Just like any other job, lol.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 21 September 2015 - 06:00 AM.

#20 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:02 AM

Wish I knew what I actually need.There is a buch of pricey stuff on the net, but I have no idea if I need it.And I kinda don't want to spend a lot of money to simply ''try''.Cuz you know...space poor. Do you have any advice on what should I get besides a pencil and an eraser?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users