Thoughts About Tier Tuesday.

77 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

Well Tuesday we can see a our tier. What action will you take if any when you see yours and where would you like it displayed in game?

>Will you change your play style and builds to get better if you are a very lower tier?

>Would you like the tiers to be displayed (opt-in) after matches?

>Will you be happy if you are average?

>Will you come brag on the forums if you are higher tier than you thought?

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 20 September 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

I'd like the MM to display the sum of Tiers from both teams at the End of Match screen.

Lets you know how the MM Matched. No name and Shame either (unless you go searching who opted in on the Forums).

#3 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

Tuesday.
Not tomorrow....

#4 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:04 PM

I thought it was on the 22nd?

#5 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

Tomorrow is the 21st so yep its tuesday.

As far as the OP, I am moderately curious to see where I am placed but it will not change anything about how or what I play.

Also even if I ended up tier 1 (which I am fairly confident I am not) I feel no need to opt in to share it.

What is sad is there will be units out there that require it to be visible and of a certain tier.

#6 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

Posted Image

where will you be?...

In dog tier?

In heaven tier?

WHo knows?

and... who cares? :D

#7 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

Will I change my playstyle? No, not really. Sometimes I play the tryhard, sometimes I play just to try some stupid combinations.

I would find it interesting to have the tiers displayed ingame but on the other hand, it's just another thing to pick on.
"I have so many Tier 4-5 players on my team, f*ck PGI, f*ck the MM, I'm outta here - *disconnects*"
"We lost because of our Tier 5 players"
"We lost because our Tier 1 player didn't carry enough"

The only thing I'm afraid of is that I will be neither god tier nor steering wheel tier. Nothing there to be proud of if you're in the average tier. :unsure:

#8 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

It's probably going to be completely screwed up after this challenge though. I know after the 60th game without getting Crimson Strait I was just charging early to either die fast or get a really high score (the former happened much more often, though it got me a couple around 600).

The thing that concerns me most is actually people using it for these challenges. Tier one players intentionally doing terribly a few days before a challenge to try to drop down into 4 or 5. Hopefully it won't change fast enough to allow that to happen but after how badly they screwed up this challenge I wouldn't be surprised.

As to your direct question, I'll probably play more carefully if my tier is low but I know full well that getting into tier 1 is going to be about driving the best meta mechs too and that's just not fun. I don't want to spend the rest of my MWO days in a TBR just for the sake of my epeen.

#9 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

Tier 7, HERE I COME!!!!!

#10 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 20 September 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

Well tomorrow we can see a our tier. What action will you take if any when you see yours and where would you like it displayed in game?

>Will you change your play style and builds to get better if you are a very lower tier?

Yes, although I can already tell I'm not Tier 1. I think my IS account may be tier 2 and my Clan account may be tier 3. And the difference in the quality of matches is huge, which is the reason I want to pursue tier 1.

>Would you like the tiers to be displayed (opt-in) after matches?

Yes. Makes it easier to analyze the game. There's so much speculation going on right now. People are always blaming their "idiot teammates" if they get stomped. Public tiers would make players more educated about how the game works.

>Will you be happy if you are average?

It's not so much an ego thing for me. I accept that other people are better than me at video games. It's more about the quality of matches. If I'm average and my matches suck, then I want to be tier 1 and experience advanced gameplay.

>Will you come brag on the forums if you are higher tier than you thought?

Everyone will. But they'll do it real subtle-like.
"Your views on gameplay balance are a bit lacking. It's different at my level, you see. <wink, wink, nudge, nudge>"
and
"I don't care about rankings and all that, even though I'm tier 1. The important thing is to have fun. Ignore the meta, just relax, make some new friends and did I mention I'm tier 1?"

#11 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 20 September 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

Will I change my playstyle? No, not really. Sometimes I play the tryhard, sometimes I play just to try some stupid combinations.

I would find it interesting to have the tiers displayed ingame but on the other hand, it's just another thing to pick on.
"I have so many Tier 4-5 players on my team, f*ck PGI, f*ck the MM, I'm outta here - *disconnects*"
"We lost because of our Tier 5 players"
"We lost because our Tier 1 player didn't carry enough"

The only thing I'm afraid of is that I will be neither god tier nor steering wheel tier. Nothing there to be proud of if you're in the average tier. :unsure:
I think it would help people deal with the fact they are not so mismatched most of the time. :)

#12 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:33 PM

the biggest difference between t2-4 will probably be how much one plays meta builds and understands how to make them function in the mode.

I always try to play for the team, but my non cheese mechs allow me to push and get good results as easily and predictably. If folks spend more time in urbies and atlases (yes can do well in them) they may end up a tier lower than someone who may be a bit lower in skill, but who plays the cheese more often.

This is still an accurate number for predicting their overall performance in a large sample group, but I think folks get a little tied up in how the number reflects their individual skill.

Maybe we should get bumper stickers that say "my child is tier 1 in MWO"

#13 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:34 PM

View PostZoid, on 20 September 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

It's probably going to be completely screwed up after this challenge though. I know after the 60th game without getting Crimson Strait I was just charging early to either die fast or get a really high score (the former happened much more often, though it got me a couple around 600).

The thing that concerns me most is actually people using it for these challenges. Tier one players intentionally doing terribly a few days before a challenge to try to drop down into 4 or 5. Hopefully it won't change fast enough to allow that to happen but after how badly they screwed up this challenge I wouldn't be surprised.

As to your direct question, I'll probably play more carefully if my tier is low but I know full well that getting into tier 1 is going to be about driving the best meta mechs too and that's just not fun. I don't want to spend the rest of my MWO days in a TBR just for the sake of my epeen.
I am 99% sure you cant drop from tier 1 to tier 5 in a short amount of time.

#14 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

After this event I know I dropped a tier.

#15 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

I don't care, I think I'm T3 I would be very surprised if I was T2 because I've played crap the last week, I would be a little disappointed if I was T4, but I don't think so, from the names of the players I sometimes drop with.

Will it change my play style, nope, do I care not really, when I stop playing badly and rack up some damage it will make me happier, but do I care what tier I'm in, not one bit.

Will I display it

No I won't, because I don't believe displaying it is a good thing, I've said it from day one, though people should have the option I guess for their **** measuring contests, and there most certainly will be sad pointless people that will try use tier as a weapon in their little I'm better than you, so you don't count, arguments.

#16 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

hmm... I think I will be surprised, no matter which tier I am.

I won't change anything... I mean, come on... you can't get better overnight by pure will power.ok, playin sober may help, but I hesitate to go that route :D
Besides, I have the super fun matches since PSR was introduced, so it seems I'm right there where I belong.

I will disable the visibility whereever I can, though. I don't really care about it but information is ammo.

#17 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

I'd laugh if PGI trolled us by putting nobody higher than tier 3 for the first week before adding it for real.

#18 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:18 PM

View Post627, on 20 September 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

...playin sober may help, ...

Blasphemy!!!!!

#19 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

Considering the match score/teir system won't actually reflect the contributions one gives to the team... meh

#20 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

I'd like for the tier info to be visible for all players on the scoreboard after a match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users