Thoughts About Tier Tuesday.

77 replies to this topic

#21 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

Response tot he OP:

What action will you take if any when you see yours and where would you like it displayed in game? --- Probably grumble about it to myself.

>Will you change your play style and builds to get better if you are a very lower tier? Probably. I've been seeing better games lately (the first batch after the tier implementation sucked), but If I KNOW I'm low tier, I'm going to feel bad unless I improve.

>Would you like the tiers to be displayed (opt-in) after matches? Yes, though I doubt anyone will want to who isn't tier 2. Tier 1 won't because they won't want the shame if they did poorly. Tier 5 & 4 won't, because thy won't really want people associating their name with that tier (as a potential easy kill or weak link). Tier three will be embarrassed if they are do poorly, and yet won't feel good enough about their rank to want to brag.

>Will you be happy if you are average?
Hell yes. I'll be happy if I'm not tier 5.

>Will you come brag on the forums if you are higher tier than you thought?
NO. I wouldn't brag eve if I fell in tier 1.

#22 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostBilbo, on 20 September 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

Blasphemy!!!!!

don't worry.
welcome the offfisssll sponsr offf ze undrhive:
Posted Image

#23 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 20 September 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

>Will you change your play style and builds to get better if you are a very lower tier?

I would actually prefer it if I were in the lowest tier. I don't pugging so much and then I can be a PSR sandbagger for my teams in group.

#24 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:30 PM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 20 September 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

I would find it interesting to have the tiers displayed ingame but on the other hand, it's just another thing to pick on.
"I have so many Tier 4-5 players on my team, f*ck PGI, f*ck the MM, I'm outta here - *disconnects*"........

I am afraid of that.

The easy solution would be for PGI to count disconnects as "zeros" in score. Better yet, count them double or triple.

#25 Calh Paw

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:40 PM

I'm pretty sure tiers will not represent skill accurately. Players who pilot bad builds most of the time will likely be in a lower tier than those piloting good ones all the time, even if both can play good builds equally well.

Unless 2 players are separated by more than 1 tier, their rating, by itself, will not show who is better.

Personally, it will not affect me much, but it's nice to know where the matchmaker is trying to fit me when it's looking for a match.

#26 Col Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

hoping i get into the prestigious and coveted tier 42 :)

#27 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:45 PM

I predict it will be less than 24 hours before some blowhard Starts a post with "I'm Tier 1 (or 2) so you need to shut up and listen..."

#28 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 20 September 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

I predict it will be less than 24 hours before some blowhard Starts a post with "I'm Tier 1 (or 2) so you need to shut up and listen..."

A conservative estimate to say the least.

#29 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

I will be handing out free steering wheels come Tuesday afternoon. That how i feel about the whole thing.

#30 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

T3 or 4 is my guess. BUt heck, maybe im a steering wheel holder in the underhive.

#31 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 20 September 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

And I think it will not happen.

#32 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:02 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 20 September 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

>Will you change your play style and builds to get better if you are a very lower tier?

Probably not, I do see my fair share of crappy matches, but after playing a number of matches lately (enough that I presume I'm placed in the correct tier now) I'm mostly happy with where I am and wouldn't want to drastically change how I play to boost my tier further.

>Would you like the tiers to be displayed (opt-in) after matches?

Yes.

Considering how often I do more damage than the rest of my team when they play poorly and I don't, e.g team loses horribly on Caustic Valley while I get top damage, then no I wouldn't be entirely happy if I was just average.

Maybe? I would be very surprised if I ended up being in tier 1 and might gloat about it here or there a little bit, but generally no.

Edited by Pjwned, 20 September 2015 - 07:50 PM.

#33 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

How many teams are gon'a subdivide by "non-normal" PSRs?

#34 HexxyTheGrouch

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:15 PM

>What action will you take if any when you see yours and where would you like it displayed in game?
Note it, shrug, move on. I'm not the best. I don't think I'm the worst. Nor do I run "meta builds" so I have that going against me. Most likely I'll hide it. It's not really your business.

Nope. Keep on Keepin' on. And not play during prime time because I want to kill myself because of my team most times.

>Would you like the tiers to be displayed (opt-in) after matches?
Yes and no. There is a curiosity of who you are fighting, but then the point of "we were drug down by this baddie tier player" posts will become prolific until the mod hammer starts swinging.

Actually, yes. I'm not excited by units as a whole and I do sometimes find it hard to gague how good/bad I am. So average is acceptable.

Nope. I may tell my one friend who plays and will say that the rating system is on drugs, but if I can help it, you folks would never know my ranking.

Seriously, this is just a horrible plan to make a somewhat toxic community worse. Starcraft 2's l33t-pe3n anyone?

#35 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

I fully expect my tier to be over 9000.

If it is actually higher than 5, well, despite the shock I am sure I will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BECAUSE WHO GIVES A ****.

#36 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

If a Tier is displayed in game and no one is there to care, does it matter?

Don't really care what tier I am. I play with my digital toys for fun, that is all. I even don't care what tier other players are.

But being in the elusive Tier 42 would be great. Or at least something over 5. Yeah, maybe 11. I like 11, because everything needs to go to 11.

#37 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostRonyn, on 20 September 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

If a Tier is displayed in game and no one is there to care, does it matter?

Don't really care what tier I am. I play with my digital toys for fun, that is all. I even don't care what tier other players are.

But being in the elusive Tier 42 would be great. Or at least something over 5. Yeah, maybe 11. I like 11, because everything needs to go to 11.

I'm partial to 12. Not sure why.

#38 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostBilbo, on 20 September 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

I'm partial to 12. Not sure why.

12 would be pretty damn cool.

#39 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

Been locked up twice for protesting. They called them Tiers in Jail so no I don't want any tiers if that's ok. Someone can have mine if they like. You can have baloney and toast for breakfast too.

#40 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

What if getting into a high tier was actually easy... You only go down when you lose badly or lose without doing much. If you lose and the game ends and you had 5 more kills than the rest of your team combined with the damage to back it up then you'd actually be going up. If you win without doing much you still go up slightly, winning while also carrying means you go up massively.

This means that if you are mostly winning or you usually play better when you are the last man due to the lack of teammates blocking you and so you carry hard then you will easily be able to get to tier 1 or 2.

But what do I know, I once managed to do the best in my assault lance with an 11 flamer dual UAC5 executioner, along with a kill on an enemy thunderbolt, its crazy out there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users