We Need Map Selection

25 replies to this topic

#21 Odium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostCrispy Chicken, on 22 September 2015 - 07:08 AM, said:

I think the people discussing if map selection would ruin the game/match making are overlooking ONE quite important tidbit: we have currently (still) an event going that REQUIRES that players play specific maps to get the even price (And if the prices are worth the effort or not doesn't really matter for this).

I have seen caustic valley TWICE since friday ... once against EMP (3 minute wipe FTW) and the other one was not really that much better ...
thats 2 times in 5 days, as one out of 9 maps availabe during the event ...
and trust me, I do not lack played hours on the event, took me almost 20 hours nonstop to get a game in canyon network ... still waiting for annother caustic valley (note that I did say GAME, not WIN nor 20+score)

IF you issue such events, THEN map selection is required, .. OTHERWISE do not make the event dependent on certain maps that never come (while others coem repeatedly 5 or more times in a row) ... period

This problem was with the horrible event not the lack of map selection. You would think they would have learned by now.

#22 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 22 September 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

I dont see why being able to select one's map would be the death of MWIO when crashing every ******* time you try to land doesnt bother anyone but me apparently.

Why not do it exactly like we have the selectors available to us? Click the box of the maps you want to play and unclick the ones you dont. Works great for me not playing Conquest.

I just do not wish to play with/against overly specialized mechs on a limited selection of maps. I am sure some do and I really have no issue with their ability to do it as long as I am not forced to participate. Nothing more nothing less.

#23 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 22 September 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

Be funny as hell if Im tier 3 because you would then be provably wrong

Given that Id then be matching with everyone from every tier

Life is much better in the underhive. Take a deep dive to feast on exotic but plentiful bounty. ;)

#24 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:28 AM

The points brought up about map selection are all valid, and several also happen to coincide with Russ' own feelings about it.

I think the ability to downvote a map or two would be nice, just to lower it's weight. If there's certain maps that a majority of people tend to downvote, they'll hardly show up, and those can be targeted by PGI for redesign.

After a certain amount of time in queue, a release valve would open if a game wasn't found on any of the other maps, and they could still end up with it, but at a much lower chance.

The only reason I even think the downvote itself is a good idea is because there's a couple pretty terrible maps, and some that kill FPS for a decent chunk of players, ie, Frozen City(blizzard version).

I don't want to see people get complete map choice- then LRM boats could simply only play Caustic, Alpine, etc, vomit would choose all the cooler maps that don't promote too much brawling, cooler ballistics mechs could just stay on hot maps, etc... The queues would be dead, if you brought the wrong mech to the wrong type of map, you'd be stomped into oblivion, and it'd be pretty terrible.

#25 Crispy Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 136 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:08 PM

View PostKodyn, on 22 September 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

I don't want to see people get complete map choice- then LRM boats could simply only play Caustic, Alpine, etc, vomit would choose all the cooler maps that don't promote too much brawling, cooler ballistics mechs could just stay on hot maps, etc... The queues would be dead, if you brought the wrong mech to the wrong type of map, you'd be stomped into oblivion, and it'd be pretty terrible.

AMEN. IMHO map selection is a bad option, being capable of deselecting or unvote or deny one or 2 maps would probably help players with older hardware to avoid laggy/high FPS drop maps and therefore make the game better for them.

BUT, fact is that events like this territorial superiority event are simply terrible. you can't make an event that REQUIres that you make drops on a number of specific maps, and then NOT make SURE That those maps actually are selected in an equal rate for all players. My caustic valley drop did happen 30 minutes AFTER the deadline ... after playing 20+ hours waiting/hoping/praying that matchmaker would bless me with my last 2 maps ...

Mapselection will just maake metamania worse (and it is already way too overweighted in the game IMHO. MAp selection owuld be unneccessairy if the designers would not create events in an impossible to hande matter ...

then maybe they would have more time to concentrate on solving hitreg issues ...

Edited by Crispy Chicken, 22 September 2015 - 03:10 PM.

#26 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:39 PM

View PostMystere, on 22 September 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

Life is much better in the underhive. Take a deep dive to feast on exotic but plentiful bounty. ;)

ROFL I am tier 3 thats hilarious

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users