Territorial Challenge Nerfed?!

23 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:46 AM

OK, so this is wierd..

Yesterday, I was playing, and only barely menaged to scrape together enough points to win the solo que tier 1 reward... had a few tier two maps conquered and nothing in CW..

NOW...

I log into my account, and check the tournament page.. suddenly.. ALL tier 1 AND tier 2 solo maps are completed and both prize packs are on the way?

I look closely and see that the TIER1 prize requres 200 points, and TIER2 requires 300 points?

SINCE WHEN?!

I scored a gazzilion 380+ matches, so naturally, all Tier2 standard maps would be completed...

Is there a post about this in the works?

Anything we, the playerbase, autta know?

(If this is true, THANK YOU PGI for realising what needed to be done - and for once again listening to me! :P )

Edited by Vellron2005, 22 September 2015 - 05:49 AM.

#2 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:53 AM

It happened this morning. The Devs changed it up to mollify the seething masses of mewling malcontents maligning the missing maps the malignant RNG system kept misappropriating.

Enjoy the spoils of your war, my friend.

#3 GeneralArmchair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:54 AM

They failed to address the root cause of the event's problems. Terrible rng that kept some players from ever dropping on some Mapa, disqualifying them regardless of their skill. We told them that was the problem and they ignored us.

#4 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:56 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 22 September 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

It happened this morning. The Devs changed it up to mollify the seething masses of mewling malcontents maligning the missing maps the malignant RNG system kept misappropriating.

Well its nice to know that PGI won't shy away from admiting an honest mistake.. and that they listened to the playerbase.. I actualy suggested/said they should have made the match score 200, instead of 300, but I never though they would actually change it..

Good work on their part then.

Nice to know they listen...

View PostGeneralArmchair, on 22 September 2015 - 05:54 AM, said:

They failed to address the root cause of the event's problems. Terrible rng that kept some players from ever dropping on some Mapa, disqualifying them regardless of their skill. We told them that was the problem and they ignored us.

I don't think they CAN fix that, becouse that would mean messing with the Matchmaker, and that is a big task for them..

Letting us select the maps we drop on, right now, would be a major rework of the MM, and would wreak havoc with it..

So, I think by dropping the matchscore requirements.. they fixed what could be fixed to make the playerbase happy..

Edited by Vellron2005, 22 September 2015 - 05:59 AM.

#5 BlackHeroe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKasselhague

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:00 AM

I would be happy about it if they would have made it for the CW challenge, which is much harder. For the standard one it was easy, except map rotatio, time and many disconnectors. This is on CW challenge all tripled :P

#6 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:01 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 22 September 2015 - 05:56 AM, said:

Well its nice to know that PGI won't shy away from admiting an honest mistake.. and that they listened to the playerbase.. I actualy suggested/said they should have made the match score 200, instead of 300, but I never though they would actually change it..

Good work on their part then.

Nice to know they listen...

I don't think they CAN fix that, becouse that would mean messing with the Matchmaker, and that is a big task for them..

Letting us select the maps we drop on, right now, would be a major rework of the MM, and would wreak havoc with it..

So, I think by dropping the matchscore requirements.. they fixed what could be fixed to make the playerbase happy..

I think they should create a pool of guaranteed matches for next time.

5 matches on each map. They get spread randomly, a seed is generated for each player, and the matches all go into a bucket.

Once the pool of matches is gone, you go back to normal random drops.

#7 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:12 AM

View PostGeneralArmchair, on 22 September 2015 - 05:54 AM, said:

^^ This. I could have gotten all the rewards, even at 400 points, if it weren't for the RNG aspect. Instead, I get nothing, because I never even had the opportunity to run on Canyon Network. Not once during the entire event. It would just keep alternating between Mining Collective and HPG, over and over, and every once in a while it would throw me into a different map.

It's one thing to fail a challenge because you couldn't pull it off, it's another to fail due to something entirely out of your control. Extremely frustrating.

#8 GernMiester

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

RNG and required to drop on every map was a bad idea. The fact that not 1 person who works at PGI had figured out that this was an dumb idea is just friggen sad. This is stuff you should be able to figure out in middle school.

I got Mining collective a total of NEVER but I only played for 3 or 4 hours over the entire event. Still, that is total BS.
I got Crimson straight 2 or 3 times and my team was the one that was roflstomped each time. It happens, oh well.
300 was a cake walk when I played seriously but that's not very fun for long. This game is not a thinking mans shooter, its far to simple.

The disconnected players did nothing to hurt any of my games, they were insignificant, and just made it so I had less mechs to compete with.

It was such a great idea making an event that promotes disconnecting and then be so blind as to suspend players that played into exactly into the disaster that PGI created. No skill needed, just get lucky enough to get all the maps. GENIUS!! HAHA

#9 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:33 AM

It was a kind move from PGI. Now lets hope they never do an event like that again.

#10 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:37 AM

Guys?

How exactly would you make it so that RNG was not a factor at all, without letting players deselect maps?

People would just DROP whole maps entirely. Potentially screwing over a team worse than if they just DCd, because now they can't even land on the map.

Someone is going to complain that they STILL don't see X or Y map. Even if you weigh it down and only require a partial completion, or give partial rewards, someone else is going to pipe up about "not getting his full rewards" or "unfair RNG".

#11 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:39 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 22 September 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

You get a "Like" for stringing together so many m-words. :)

#12 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:44 AM

How exactly would you make it so that RNG was not a factor at all, without letting players deselect maps?

Easy. Base the prize packs on total score for ALL maps rather than specific scores for each map.

So getting 1800 points total would get you the CW t2 prize pack and 2700 points total would get you the public queue prize pack

#13 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:45 AM

Meh, as soon as I was corrected on how the event worked (I thought it was a per map basis with scores that high) I literally stopped playing for the weekend in annoyance. Now turns out I probably would have gotten it if I had just kept playing. Only maps I didn't have it on where two that I just never got dropped on.

#14 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

View PostKhobai, on 22 September 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

Easy. Base the prize packs on total score for ALL maps rather than specific scores for each map.

So getting 1800 points total would get you the CW t2 prize pack and 2700 points total would get you the public queue prize pack

That kind of defeats the spirit of the tournament title, but semantics.

#15 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

It was nerfed yesterday afternoon.

#16 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:48 AM

That kind of defeats the spirit of the tournament title, but semantics.

the whole point is that the spirit of the tournament was dumb. it never shouldve been map roulette to begin with.

#17 Gideon Grey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:55 AM

Plenty of ways to fix the RNG aspect if they put a little effort in.

Designate blocks of time for specific map drops for the weekend, with a published schedule. Hard core all drops within a given time block to drop on a specific map. Shuffle and spread out the time blocks enough that most people can find a time that works for the map they want without having to at 24/7.

That's just one option that I'd think would be pretty easy to implement. More elegant solutions exist, but would require more coding.

I

#18 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:58 AM

View PostGideon Grey, on 22 September 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

Plenty of ways to fix the RNG aspect if they put a little effort in.

Designate blocks of time for specific map drops for the weekend, with a published schedule. Hard core all drops within a given time block to drop on a specific map. Shuffle and spread out the time blocks enough that most people can find a time that works for the map they want without having to at 24/7.

That's just one option that I'd think would be pretty easy to implement. More elegant solutions exist, but would require more coding.

I

The issue there is we assume that the matchmaker can be configured in such a manner, to be fully automated.

If not, or we don't want to risk it messing up and only giving us one map because someone missed a semicolon, then someone has to stay over the weekend on duty.

#19 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:58 AM

"How exactly would you make it so that RNG was not a factor at all, without letting players deselect maps?"

Put ALL the maps in rotation (15?) and only need to score on 10 to complete.

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 22 September 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#20 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:45 AM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 22 September 2015 - 06:45 AM, said:

Meh, as soon as I was corrected on how the event worked (I thought it was a per map basis with scores that high) I literally stopped playing for the weekend in annoyance. Now turns out I probably would have gotten it if I had just kept playing. Only maps I didn't have it on where two that I just never got dropped on.

Yup, played some Matches but after getting 1 Kill, 5 assists and 425 damage and not reaching 300 match score, I bailed. Then they changed the requirements mid stream? Oh well maybe next time. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users