Black Knight Xl Engine?

15 replies to this topic

#1 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:57 PM

What do you guys think? Should I put an XL in my Black Knights? I've been torso twisting in ways that would make my Awesome proud but I still keep getting my center blown out. It feels like the CT hitbox is absurdly huge. Anyone else feeling this?

#2 Wootin87

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:09 AM

I don't see why not. I dont own the Black knight, but I always use xl360/340 on my Orions and they tend to perform much better than wieght consuming standards imo. I tend to use speed as my advantage and torso twisting is a must when it comes to brawling. I useually pump out 300-700 dmg before popping. So yeah, it's worth it. But keep in mind it depends on the pilot/play-style.

#3 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:15 AM

If the CT feels huge go for it. But then Q is how many lazors you can boat before the heat efficiency goes to dirt and the XL is just a liability for the trade off...

#4 Native

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:16 AM

the answer is always "all the lazorz!"

my Black knights seem to run well on XL engines. I've got XL360's in mine an mostly run 4 MPL and 4 ML. they take a beating really well IMO my W/L is 1.75 and K/D is 1.0 in the 11 matches I've played so far.

this is how I have mine set up:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...70ebc086c38c27f

also, usually the #1 way for a heavy to die is the CT destroyed, so that isn't nessasaraly a bad thing

Edited by Native, 23 September 2015 - 04:25 AM.

#5 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:33 AM

For what a command Console inside of a BK?

#6 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:38 AM

It seems very XL friendly in my experience so far.

I almost never lose side torsos; the CT seems to be quite a damage magnet. I think ill try an XL when I get out of class this afternoon and see how it works. I'll edit this post later with my thoughts (if anyone cares to hear them)

#7 Native

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:11 AM

View PostMarc von der Heide, on 23 September 2015 - 04:33 AM, said:

For what a command Console inside of a BK?

umm better sensor range/zoom, faster target details... 1 more laser isn't going to make that much of a difference damage wise, and there was tonnage to spare that couldn't be put into DHS.

Edited by Native, 23 September 2015 - 05:12 AM.

#8 Flushot

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:36 AM

Most of the builds I've been working with thus far I didn't feel like I would gain much by taking an XL. I really like that the hardpoints are distributed fairly evenly between sides so I'm still moderately effective after losing a side. Most of the stuff I take an XL in I figure if I lose a side torso I don't really want to be alive anyways.

#9 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

Dropped an XL385 in the 7KNTL before I played a match. XL360s in the other 2 Ive played, all deaths were CT or total wasting.

83.1kph out the gate carrying 2 LL 4 MPL 10 DHS. Can't do that with a Standard.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 23 September 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#10 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:48 AM

View PostRagingOyster, on 23 September 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

It seems very XL friendly in my experience so far.

I almost never lose side torsos; the CT seems to be quite a damage magnet. I think ill try an XL when I get out of class this afternoon and see how it works. I'll edit this post later with my thoughts (if anyone cares to hear them)

That forum signature... Awesome +1

I think I'll try some XL engines in my BKs... Can't be worse than what I'm running now!

#11 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

I think I'll try an XL when I can. I just have been getting brutalized in my Black Knights. I started my longest losing streak when they came out. It's a real shame, too. I keep running Standards engines because I have delusions of tanking with the "shield arm" since that's what I did with this mech in MW4. I would love to see the shield variant on here.

#12 Victorion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:57 PM

View PostDrRedCoat, on 24 September 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

I think I'll try an XL when I can. I just have been getting brutalized in my Black Knights. I started my longest losing streak when they came out. It's a real shame, too. I keep running Standards engines because I have delusions of tanking with the "shield arm" since that's what I did with this mech in MW4. I would love to see the shield variant on here.

Honestly, I was in the same boat as you.

I was running my BK's with STD300's, and was losing regularly, not doing any more then maybe 250-300 dmg if I was lucky.

Then I realized that I was always having massive chassis space open, or not filling up the tonnage, or both, and decided to go balls deep and stuff a XL350 in there, because I had maybe lost one ST in 30+ matches at that point.

Literally night and day difference. My damage numbers immediately doubled, I started getting more kills, and I started dieing a lot less, because the engagements that I'd typically get killed in a STD300 BK, I could disengage from with ease in my XL350 BK. Not to mention your heat management becomes soooo much better with an XL350 opposed to a STD300. The two extra internal heatsinks coupled with the 2 extra engine heatsinks is fantastic.

XL also lets you boat 2-3 LLas/LPL which I feel is the ideal starting point for the BK's offensive armament, and lets you hit consistently hard.

Because of all these factors, mobility, high damage, acceptable heat management, and acceptable damage taking potential, the BK has rapidly become easily my favorite IS Heavy.

#13 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Kurita
  • Hero of Kurita
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:26 AM

I have the BK's, but I have not even considered sitting in the cockpit after looking them over.

I think many of us old school MechWarriors are used to the Black Knight IIC ...and that is the problem. When I saw that these BK's had no jump jets or ecm...meh.

#14 CmdrA

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

For the moment, the black knight is very xl friendly because it seems its side torsos barely exist from the way my games keep going, but the bigger issue is how big its center torso is and how it seems to literally get 82 / 84 armor ripped off in one or two hits.

I've had some pretty terrible games in them so far because the center torso seems to get melted into a pile of molten slag because most shots seem to hit the ct only. So I imagine the hitboxes are going to eventually be revised so the xl friendliness could become less viable if the hitboxes don't stay as they are currently and get changed in the coming few weeks in a hitbox fix.

So until then, run xl's to your hearts content, go as big an engine as you want because it doesn't seem to be too detrimental towards dying because 9/10 times you'll die to a gaping chest than your sides being blown off.

#15 Victorion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostMechregSurn, on 25 September 2015 - 02:26 AM, said:

I have the BK's, but I have not even considered sitting in the cockpit after looking them over.

I think many of us old school MechWarriors are used to the Black Knight IIC ...and that is the problem. When I saw that these BK's had no jump jets or ecm...meh.

I've never really understood the phenomenon of theory crafting.

People who, even admittedly, haven't set foot in something, and yet still try to give expert advice on the use of that something.

Probably one of the more bizarre and useless human traits, in my opinion.

#16 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

I've literally died to a ST loss exactly once. The CT hitbox is so hilariously broken that it may be the most XL friendly mech in the game, until they adjust it on the 6th.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users