Looks Like It's Time For Me To Punch Out. Oh-Seven, Folks.

67 replies to this topic

#1 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

So as I’d predicted, I’m in rightabouts the uppermost quadrant or so of T4. I make no excuses for it – I’m a fumble-fingered failure when it comes to proper aim, and I’m not the most patient player MWO has ever seen. I am indeed average at best and I’ll own that. Frankly it’s good to know for sure – a little disheartening, yeah, I’m sure everyone was secretly hoping to be surprised by their own awesomeness, but people who were being honest with themselves more or less knew where they’d stack up. On to the Level Up process, I suppose. Will provide a nice little incentive to try and aim for at least solid T3 before the servers shut down.

Yep – I’m still here, still playing, and not really overly bothered by my tier placement in purely in-game terms. I’m not going to go on a flaming rampage demanding to know why the system didn’t place me at my ‘proper’ level (hint to all the trolls who are doing that – the game did), I’m not ‘Dishartened by being in Tier [4]’ outside that one regretful sigh of “whelp, guess I was right after all”. Not going to Quit Forever. Will still probably spend more money on this game than is remotely right or sane.

However, I’ve already seen evidence of what anyone with two neurons camping out in their cranial cavity knew was coming with this public tier listing stuff – the scorning and dismissal of anyone unable to prove at least T2 ranking. Even now, with what is effectively ‘private’ tier listings, screenshots of one’s (high) tier rating are starting to become mandatory prior to participating in discussions of the game – outside, of course, of threads wherein the objective is complaining about their low tier rating. Once public tier listings go into effect…well.

It’s been fun, folks. Really has – as much of a bubbling cesspit as this place can be sometimes, I’ve met better people and had better conversations here than I’ve had in just about any other game forum I’ve bothered with. I’m gonna miss it. Will still lurk around, and knowing me/how bored I get at work, prob’ly still post sometimes when I see a good opportunity to annoy Bishop or when I can’t take Twiafu’s hive-mind mentality anymore or stuff, but…well, my days of being able to chip in with ideas or comments on tactics, weapon balancing, ‘Mech viability, new/adjusted game systems, or other meaty stuff are pretty much done. Sucks, but it was sort of inevitable.

Ohh-seven, folks. No you cannot have my stuff, I’m still using it. Heh…and yes, I know not a single one of you cares. Just felt like writing it anyways. Sometimes a guy just ends up melancholy and wants to put it to words.

See you ‘round, forumites. Heh…just not in-game.

Edited by 1453 R, 23 September 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#2 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

Pitty to see you go.

I was always against like these things. Full disclosure is terrible, but most of from the Community voted for opt-in/out. So you still have a little control.

The thing what worries me that it's a matter of time when the bragg talk begins. Its all funny and dandy in the beginning but about in a year or so, or when Steam hits then i will predict elitist e-penises all over the place. More toxic.

Another fine reason why you shouldnt let the Community involved in certain (important) decisions. Guess time will tell how this settles out.

Edited by Sarlic, 23 September 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#3 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

I have seen threads where people boast about tier, but I haven't seen any discussions where tier was a requirement for participation. I agree it would be sad if tier becomes some sort of criteria to participation. WoT has sort of gone that way, especially when it comes to joining units. Of course I have no interest in joining units or guilds, WoW and SWG ruined them for me years ago.

#4 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

Having a low to mid tier doesn't invalidate your opinions on the game — If anything it makes them more relevant, in many cases.

Anyone that uses their tier level to try to assert that their opinion is more important than yours is a giant d-bag.

#5 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

I think if as a community and that means top tier players most of all to lead we should shun anyone who uses the tier tactic in a thread to dominate an argument.

Everyone in every tier needs to be heard and respected especially if this is such a small community. It's very easy for the self appointed top dogs to bully other posters and its pretty common place.

#6 JohnnyWayne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

Not like the people you discuss with would change. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

More over the public display is an opt in thing. Or should be?

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 23 September 2015 - 01:28 PM.

#7 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:35 PM

Just remember that if the typical bell curve of Tier distribution is used, then T3 players make up the majority and should have the largest input/voice within the community.

#8 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 23 September 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

I think if as a community and that means top tier players most of all to lead we should shun anyone who uses the tier tactic in a thread to dominate an argument.

Everyone in every tier needs to be heard and respected especially if this is such a small community. It's very easy for the self appointed top dogs to bully other posters and its pretty common place.

This.
If i ever see it happening i'll make it my bushiness to report/crush them

#9 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

:-(

This makes me sad...

Well, see you around then 1453 R...

#10 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

View PostSarlic, on 23 September 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

Another fine reason why you shouldnt let the Community involved in certain (important) decisions.

IMHO community should be involved to choose the next mech only.

#11 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

View PostKharnZor, on 23 September 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

This.
If i ever see it happening i'll make it my bushiness to report/crush them

Just do it politely if possible, if not, well...

But yes, like Mudhut said, trying to use your tier as a weight in a argument is not constructive in any way or form, and all opinions should matter, only if it strives towards the betterment of the community.

#12 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

Paul on Reddit literally said that T2 T1 all requires massive amounts of games played, it's substantially geared towards playtime.

https://www.reddit.c..._to_settle_out/

again, anyone wanting to say they are good because they are T2 T1...may not be, they may just not care for human contact ;)

#13 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 23 September 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

Not like the people you discuss with would change. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

More over the public display is an opt in thing. Or should be?

Tier display is opt-in, yes. What that means, in practical terms, is "anyone who doesn't opt in to displaying their tier is automatically assumed to be T5." Because in the minds of those who inspired this particular sad farewell*, the only reason not to opt in and display one's tier is because it's low. And, thusly, all hidden-tier folks are bads.

Yes I'm posting in this thread while it's a thing :P It's my thread and I see no reason not to have one last decent chatter with people in it.

#14 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

View Postcrashlogic, on 23 September 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

I have seen threads where people boast about tier, but I haven't seen any discussions where tier was a requirement for participation. I agree it would be sad if tier becomes some sort of criteria to participation. WoT has sort of gone that way, especially when it comes to joining units. Of course I have no interest in joining units or guilds, WoW and SWG ruined them for me years ago.

best time in wow [wrath] was a PUG styled guild that started out playing Uldar's tank event right before server downtime... ah Lastcall, best pug guild. best memories when i played then too. heh we even beat Arthas at %5 buff, lot of guilds couldn't even do it at full 30% buff.

also, TBF the minute PSR ranking was announced, any way of showing your tier would be needed for "competitive" groups anyway.

#15 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:53 PM

Man, don't quit just because people on the forums are elitist jerks. Who cares what rank you're in? I don't. If you have good advice or thoughts on a particular issue then it doesn't matter what tier you're in. Likewise, if you're having fun and shooting enemy robots dead, then who cares what tier you're in?

Just have fun and keep on keepin' on. I know I will.

#16 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

I think you're probably overreacting and letting the trolls win, but if the game no longer floats your boat, it's time to move on. Nothing wrong with that.

#17 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:04 PM

View Post1453 R, on 23 September 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

So as I’d predicted, I’m in rightabouts the uppermost quadrant or so of T4. I make no excuses for it – I’m a fumble-fingered failure when it comes to proper aim, and I’m not the most patient player MWO has ever seen. I am indeed average at best and I’ll own that. Frankly it’s good to know for sure – a little disheartening, yeah, I’m sure everyone was secretly hoping to be surprised by their own awesomeness, but people who were being honest with themselves more or less knew where they’d stack up. On to the Level Up process, I suppose. Will provide a nice little incentive to try and aim for at least solid T3 before the servers shut down.

Yep – I’m still here, still playing, and not really overly bothered by my tier placement in purely in-game terms. I’m not going to go on a flaming rampage demanding to know why the system didn’t place me at my ‘proper’ level (hint to all the trolls who are doing that – the game did), I’m not ‘Dishartened by being in Tier [4]’ outside that one regretful sigh of “whelp, guess I was right after all”. Not going to Quit Forever. Will still probably spend more money on this game than is remotely right or sane.

However, I’ve already seen evidence of what anyone with two neurons camping out in their cranial cavity knew was coming with this public tier listing stuff – the scorning and dismissal of anyone unable to prove at least T2 ranking. Even now, with what is effectively ‘private’ tier listings, screenshots of one’s (high) tier rating are starting to become mandatory prior to participating in discussions of the game – outside, of course, of threads wherein the objective is complaining about their low tier rating. Once public tier listings go into effect…well.

It’s been fun, folks. Really has – as much of a bubbling cesspit as this place can be sometimes, I’ve met better people and had better conversations here than I’ve had in just about any other game forum I’ve bothered with. I’m gonna miss it. Will still lurk around, and knowing me/how bored I get at work, prob’ly still post sometimes when I see a good opportunity to annoy Bishop or when I can’t take Twiafu’s hive-mind mentality anymore or stuff, but…well, my days of being able to chip in with ideas or comments on tactics, weapon balancing, ‘Mech viability, new/adjusted game systems, or other meaty stuff are pretty much done. Sucks, but it was sort of inevitable.

Ohh-seven, folks. No you cannot have my stuff, I’m still using it. Heh…and yes, I know not a single one of you cares. Just felt like writing it anyways. Sometimes a guy just ends up melancholy and wants to put it to words.

See you ‘round, forumites. Heh…just not in-game.

I'm tier 3 and i feel like I am very well respected by the members of this community. I have 200+ posts now and I have never seen anything from the known tier 1s (yeah, we all knew a few names that were guaranteed to fall into that category) that made me feel unheard or disrespected. If your ideas are valid (most...uh...some of the time) I think this community will listen. Don't let the PSR system dissuade you from making valid assertions and comments on this forum. Keep posting man :)

#18 Rasako

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:06 PM

This comes off as a pretty immature whine thread trying to guilt people into giving you attention because you believe that you don't have relevance anymore or something. If you weren't even in the elitist circle to begin with I highly doubt your status within the community has changed. This kind of stuff only REALLY matters for the top .1% and the plebs who idolize them. No need to go all shakespeare drama momma about it, and if you're really quitting the game over something this small I am 100% positive you weren't enjoying the game in the first place.

Edited by Rasako, 23 September 2015 - 02:06 PM.

#19 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

Oh balderdash. As far as I'm concerned you have far more worthwhile to say than many tier 1 players. You are one of a hand full of people on the forums that I truly respect and I enjoy your posts. I sincerely hope you will change your mind and stick around. I know there will be some crap to deal with from the L33T Pro players, but it has always been that way. They have no more effect than you allow them.

#20 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:14 PM

Heh...moderating my forum output Ras, not quitting the game. As I mentioned, this doesn't really affect me in-game at all. I've spent too much damn money on MWO to just flip a switch and turn it off because the Kristians of the world are being ponces.

But, realistically? If every idea, feedback, or other comment I leave in a thread that isn't mostly just forum screwing-around stuff like this one is going to start being met with "GTFO T4"...well, I may as well skip the frustration, eh?

Anyways. Yeah Tyler, I imagine there's going to be a few good guys out there who don't hold their rating over other people's heads. Some folks just want to play, don't care with who. Awesome on them, and I appreciate that. Just time for me to get my MWO jollies in-game rather than in forum discussions during downtime at work, that's all.

Besides...Heart of Thorns releases in a month, and Fallout 4's dropping a coupleish weeks after that. I was going to end up punching out for a while soon anyways regardless :P

...so much damn money... :unsure:

Edited by 1453 R, 23 September 2015 - 02:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users