36 replies to this topic

#1 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:56 PM

the quirk is 10 % less heat... so if Im not wrong thats 13.5 heat for a weapon that does 10 damage and has shitprojectile speed.

Youre still better off running a biger xl engine and running large pulse lasers since youre running less heat and more damage . I know thay decided they hatebig quirks but if they want ppl using weapons like IS ERPPC then they HAVE to go big with the quirks ir it doesnt work. 1.5 heat is lol worthy

#2 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:05 PM

-10% ER-PPC heat, and -10% general energy heat; making it 12 heat over all. Still not great.

Edited by Zeriniel, 23 September 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#3 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:06 PM

ERPPCs are bad for many reasons.

#4 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:08 PM

Kind of weird to put a sniper weapon on a mech with hardpoints at hip level. It's like the CTF-0XP problem. Sure, you can equip gauss and ppc's. But you still have to stick your whole massive torso into the line of sight to fire those weapons. Even with ECM, you're not sneaking up on anyone. You get your assbutt handed to you by gauss jagers.

#5 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,994 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

ERPPCs' are joke weapons

You only use them if you are bored with the game and want something different

PGI does not like long range so if you do install them be sure to mark down how many kills you get

#6 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

ERPPC's should really be changed to what they are used for - Short Range PPC's maybe a maximum range of 3-400m with a heat penalty? Let PPC's be the long range version and remain ineffective at short range.
Yes, the Black Night came with a ER PPC, which was immediately removed as there is no point in using an ERPPC because of the heat.

#7 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:13 PM

Just boat LPL and MPL on them and be done. We love us some point and click combat!

Wait.... I don't love that.... I wonder who does that the current state of weapon balance is where it is.....

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:30 PM

View PostGenghisJr, on 23 September 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

ERPPC's should really be changed to what they are used for - Short Range PPC's maybe a maximum range of 3-400m with a heat penalty? Let PPC's be the long range version and remain ineffective at short range.

Then there is no reason to call it Extended Range PPC, is there? Instead regular PPC should retain the shorter range but can fire at point blank, while ERPPC should fire at longer range but with minimum range penalty. The velocity of them need to be buffed further to make them a better sniper weapon. They need to be good weapons without relying on quirks. Hell, all weapons need to perform in their ideal situation without relying on quirks.

Right now it is lasers, lasers and... a Gauss or two.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 September 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#9 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, I always thought it was bass-ackwards how the short-range PPC can't shoot up close but the long range one can. That's totally counter to convention.

#10 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

The ER-PPC is a perfect example why those huge weapon quirks are bad. If they just down the heat to 12 or so there will be mechs with insane quirks and we'll get the thunderbolt situation back in no time.

#11 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

View PostEldagore, on 23 September 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

Wait.... I don't love that.... I wonder who does that the current state of weapon balance is where it is.....

NGNG and secret squirrels

#12 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:20 PM

the problem is not just the quirks, it is the fact that to use that so called Long Range ER PPC, you have to stand and up and show half your profile to the enemy just to get a shot. I can imagine other LR sniper mechs like the raven or the thunderbolt going wut? thats insane! which ****** sniper willingly shows himself ??

#13 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:38 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 23 September 2015 - 08:38 PM, said:

Yeah, I always thought it was bass-ackwards how the short-range PPC can't shoot up close but the long range one can. That's totally counter to convention.

It's mostly handwavium designed to balance the extra heat of ERPPC in TT as it allows you to drop a few of the backup weapon in favor of more heat sinks. Frankly I still prefer normal PPC in TT with enough ML+SRM back up weapons for when someone gets close (and to crit seek).

#14 Victorion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:43 PM

I think they just need a velocity buff, a significant one.

Heat and damage wise, at least on this particular chassis, they feel fine for what they are, a mid-long range direct fire support weapon.

#15 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:08 PM

I must admit that, since i like cool mechs, i've divided my Black Knights weapons in two groups: 2 PPCs for poking, and 6-7 ML/MPLs (still testing) for close range.
The PPCs are in the right arm, since they are useless when the CQC combat starts.
The PPCs are great at suppressing the enemy, and while the mediums are nothing incredible, they are still strong and cool enough to win a brawl against non-dedicated brawlers.
It's working ok for me... not the strongest build ever but serviceable... which feels like a win on the Black Knight.

Edited by TheCharlatan, 24 September 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#16 Ragnar Bashmek

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 60 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationChandler, TX

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

I'm thinking the BL is just hopeless. The crappy hardpoint locations are pretty much the "kiss if death" as far as being preferable to other IS mechs. Being saddled with these "facepalm" hardpoints no amount of "quirking" will ever make this a good mech. I'm not going to waste time trying to level these POS mechs.

That's really sad, the Black Knight was a pretty good mech in the old PC MW's and I was looking forward to their release. PGI could screw up an iron ball with a rubber hammer.

Skol,

Ragnar

#17 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 23 September 2015 - 08:38 PM, said:

You can thank whoever's decision it was to write that into the original BattleTech tabletop rules about 30 years ago. Then you can thank everybody who thought it was their duty to adhere to that in every iteration of MechWarrior since. And if you have any time left, you can write a big thank you to all the fans of the franchise who wouldn't have it any other way.

#18 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

I built this one as 5 MPL + 2 LPL in the right arm. I use the left arm as a shield arm with reduced armor.

It's a decent corner poker. I put the LT+Head MPL in one group, RT in another group, and the RA a third for heat management.

I tried with the erPPC but didn't much care for it. I seemed to get better results with just using Wub.

#19 2MyBalls

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBamberg

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:45 PM

This is how the Black Knigth feels:

Posted Image

looks cool but is kinda messy.

#20 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts