39 replies to this topic

#21 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 24 September 2015 - 06:32 AM, said:

I have a good message - in dangerous self tests I developed a test so you can determine

how skilled you are.

The good - the test is good enough to identify your ability in the following activities.
  • controll of your mech

Ahah... I see what you did there.

Con-Troll identified. New term - This should be the new word in describing how players intentionally place their mechs in positions or perform actions to troll the friendly team, such as:

Moving into the line of fire, forcing the you to either let them get their kill (or doesn't fire at all) or make you core their back resulting in team damage or possibly a team kill.

Firing into the air intentionally showing the enemy where your team deathball is at so they can adjust accordingly.

Popping a UAV no where near an enemy team again to show where friendly mech mass is at.

Standing behind a mech that moved out of cover that is trying to reverse back into cover.

ect.

People like that conTROLL the match so that friendly team has harder time trying to win. You've all seen this happen before, there just wasn't really a term for it, until now.

#22 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

Everything works out great for me until I get shot to death - but otherwise I kick butt up to that point.

I guess my biggest weakness is that I rarely jump ship with more than 5 tons of armor... And I love taking risks - so dying a lot comes with the territory.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 24 September 2015 - 12:17 PM.

#23 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

I have a Pretty Baby and I try to play it now and then.

#24 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

My biggest "problem" is my refusal to run meta builds.

Other than that, I don't really know, I'd need an outside observer to identify my problems/flaws for me.

#25 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

Interesting thread. By observation I'd say that my aiming abilities are better than most and my map knowledge / positioning is decent. My main issue is and probably always will be impatience and the rapid death that can so often result from acting on it.

#26 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

I jerk my hand when I fire for some unknown reason.

I can't see the circle aiming thingy and the enemy Mech at the same time, depth issue.

I try and twist to spread damage, and just present my backside more often and get cored from the rear.

I know I should follow the group, and NASCAR, but they are going to be right there in my sights any moment (Fire, Fire, Die!.... dead).

I know they will focus fire me if I show my self....shows self.

I will not play meta laser vomit, (Dies in laser vomit)

Can't use Gauss; see jerky firing epidemic above.

Sees talk of convergence being an issue, sees ballistic rounds never converge on target, get's frustrated and keeps face tanking trying to hit with all ballistics that seem to go everywhere but where I want them to and never converges, and I die.

Uses mixed builds to try and be supportive at all ranges....dies.

Tries to use fire discipline with UAC's and always jams, and instead of twisting, just keeps mashing buttons hoping I have enough time to face tank to do a few more points of damage....dies.

Always plays assaults (not quire true, but can't control faster Mechs - old man syndrome).

Fixated on the fact that I am a Tier 2 pilot and cannot figure out why when playing, mind wanders while playing, "How can this be!" dies.

Presses Engage Overdrive at the beginning of every match; you know, just in case (hahaha).

Thinks when incoming missiles are hitting me, that turning around is providing cover (this one is very serious, see over twisting above - what a jerk).

I am good at knowing where the enemy will be, but it does me little good....because I go there.

Edited by Aphoticus, 24 September 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#27 Foxfire kadrpg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

In reading the underhive's complaints about given weapons, I did stop and ponder the question "What weapon system do I most often die to?"

Paying more attention to my disassembly in combat I've learned that when I die, 99% of the time, I died in view of more than one mech. I strongly suspect my greatest weakness (which I am working on improving) is the tendency to expose myself to fire.

#28 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

I mostly die to laser vomit and dakka Dire Wolves.

#29 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

I would say my biggest problem is that I sometimes get myself into trouble by moving too aggressively.

I know where I want to be and the faster we get there the better chance of catching the opposition disorganized and split. But sometimes my team is on a different wavelength. I need to do better at recognizing those situations sooner and matching their play style before I get myself killed.

Either that or I need to get better at Rambo-ing.

#30 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

Im all footwork, and aim like ****. Its all the weed and booze. Gives me blurry vision.

As brawlers get phased out, I'm getting phased out. Pixel sniping at 600+ meters is no fun for me, it actually HURTS my eyes.

Ive maintained a solid KDR and W\L in my EXE though, I consider it the last viable brawler. Since brawling is basically dead...

Tier 2 btw, cause it totally matters, especially to the T1 players who say it doesnt. ^_^

Edited by LordBraxton, 24 September 2015 - 01:01 PM.

#31 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:18 PM

One of my biggest issues in this game is how grey everything is and how everything blends in at distance. A grey, pixely looking mech, against a grey, pixely looking background with this odd haze covering everything. Most the time I cant even see what im shooting at. I just see a grey blob and fire somewhere in the middle of it.

Never before this game have I see a game where everything blends in so well with itself. Planetside 2, I can spot an infiltrator sitting on a ridge from 500m away at night without any enhanced Optics, I can kill said infil from 500m with just a 2x optic on my EM6. All the old CoD games, Battlefield games, I got hackused all the time for shooting people at ranges and in places thye didnt think I could. My vision and target acquisition and aim is fine in every other game.

But MWO? I can never even make out a mech until it fires at me, or I get the red target marker. Then maps like Forest Colony where we cant even get anything in target lock for some unknown reason just makes it that much harder. If this game ran on sweet FX, I think my performance would improve a decent amount. Since, seeing the target is half the battle.

Yesterday on FC, I was dancing with a Raven and I was firing at his box, but he was darting in and out behind a tree...couldnt even make his mech out. I was just firing at the box...

#32 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

In solo queue, my biggest problem I think, is being too aggressive and playing like I have a team. I need to learn how to sit back and let the game develop a little bit more before trying to force a play to happen. Essentially give the "me" on the other team the chance to push and get shot up alone before making my move.

I think once I can master the art of pug farming, my rank will go up. Right now I'm still willing to risk my mech to help a teammate.

#33 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:04 PM

Sorry but their is very little skill in this game for most, Just the ability to aim and position and use the manufactured advantage pgi created.

MechWarrior for dummies, Learn to aim , Learn to position, Equip the latest meta, Win.

No real skill involved.

#34 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:09 PM

I believe my shortcomings to include the following:
  • I am an intel junkie; I have to know what the enemy is doing. You can't respond well if you don't know this, and I sometimes risk more than I ought to to get more intel for the team or myself.
  • I occasionally suffer from tunnel-vision; this makes me get hung up on rocks and the like more often than I would consider acceptable, and it's a problem for fragile Light 'Mechs.
  • My 'Mechs are fragile; I don't have anything that can really sustain front line damage, the best I got is an STK-4N but it will lose all of its guns on the front lines. I also primarily drop in Locusts and Blackjacks, and to carry in those requires a team that can at least stay alive long enough for you to do damage, else you spend more time evading than shooting.
  • I have issues holding a burn at high-speed; this one is more conditional: I am not good at holding a Medium burn at 169.3 kph without lower arm actuators. I'm pretty good at holding a medium burn with lower actuators, though.
  • I do not run well with other Lights; almost every time I try to play in a group with other Light 'Mechs, I crash and burn. I think there's a difference in play-styles going on; they are usually Cheetahs and Firestarters, brawlers, while the Locust is more of a hill-humper. But, I also don't run well with other Locusts; I can't be worrying about avoiding collisions with somebody as fast as me trying to shoot at the same guy, that's just extra overhead I don't need.
  • I can be too aggressive; I can feel the blood rage upon sighting an open CT or XL ST. When you run really fast or have big armor, it's hard to not go for it. I usually don't die when I do this, but I do often make too large of a trade in armor and it can hurt both me and the team.
  • My 'Mechs do not have big damage; the most powerful alpha sported by any 'Mech in my arsenal is 46 points - that's 4x LL and 2x ML on a Jester. Everything else tends to top out between 30-40: moderately dangerous. That means I need longer periods of time to deal large damage than 'Mechs that can spit out 50+ every 5 seconds or so, and it means I need more pokes, losing armor. It's not even a question of how I build these 'Mechs, it's literally what they are capable of. You can't do better on a Jester, you can't do better on a BJ-1X, you can't do better on a Jager (2xAC/10 + 4xML or 2x Goose), I've min-maxed every 'Mech I own as good as they will get, but I could do better if I played EBJs, HBRs, and SCRs. I will certainly be buying into the EBJ.
  • I usually play when I am exhausted; I am sure that does no favors for my decision-making skills or reflexes.
And finally, as Kiiyor storied, I need to learn to trust my gut. I always know what's going to happen, and then ignore the warnings. It's like, I have to confirm I'm going to die if I take one action to finally accept that I will, in fact, die by doing so. Herp-a-derp.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 24 September 2015 - 03:09 PM.

#35 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:06 PM

My issues?

1. Minimum spec machine (18-24 fps)
2. Poor internet connection (1.3 mps up / 0.3 mps down)
3. Lack of opportunity to play (spouse, child with special needs)
4. Prefer to play "support" mechs (Catapult-C1(F))

#36 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

i have a hard time seeing non moving targets in night vision mode. its just hard to distinguish mech from surroundings. some of the newer maps with day/night rotation kind of have issues where its harder to see things under night vision than it is with it turned off. especially where range is beyond what thermo can detect.

#37 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:04 AM

OK i really have to work on to "transmit" my message.... reason have to be that nobody in the world understands Karls German Humor...

play MWO - when you are complete boozed; jagged; what ever - as long as ~ half a bottle of rum went trough your mouth down the throat.
In this state your body is only capable of recall most basic things - and when you hit a Victor right in the face with a Gauss - passing between two pipes - i would say shooting and using of Gauss is very well trained.

This topic has the same meaning as Controll a battleMech (thx saKhan)

Edited by Karl Streiger, 25 September 2015 - 12:04 AM.

#38 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:08 AM

My attempt at an honest appraisal of my flaws:

I don't know what to do when my teammates do something stupid.
I rage at my teammates when they do something stupid.
I give up too easily.
If I don't fight with some sort of advantage, I'm terrible.

#39 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:18 AM

One of my many issues is positioning.

Im pretty patient at poking and waiting for the main engagement but I usually push at the wrong time.

Then when its painfully apparent that I should stop pushing and find cover, something in my brain is shouting

"Dont stop, drive on through and cleave their line asunder. They'll break and flee before you......" and then Im dead.

1600 matches later I still havent learnt and Im still driving through

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users