#1 BadKimche

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

I need some help with this one.

I'm running Win 10 Pro and an upgrade install from Win8.1
My first Win 10 install went bad and I had to do a restart through Win 10 which removed my applications and games, maintained user data. I installed MWO 64bit and it crashes after login. I upgraded to Win 10 Pro. Same issue.

I have updated the drivers for my ASUS Strix 4GB GTX 9600.
I have set the 64bit exe to run in compatibility mode for Win 8
I have set it to run as Administrator.
I have run the repair tool.

There are posts about similar issues but they are too old for me to assume they remain valid.

#2 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostBadKimche, on 24 September 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

I need some help with this one.

I'm running Win 10 Pro and an upgrade install from Win8.1
My first Win 10 install went bad and I had to do a restart through Win 10 which removed my applications and games, maintained user data. I installed MWO 64bit and it crashes after login. I upgraded to Win 10 Pro. Same issue.

I have updated the drivers for my ASUS Strix 4GB GTX 9600.
I have set the 64bit exe to run in compatibility mode for Win 8
I have set it to run as Administrator.
I have run the repair tool.

There are posts about similar issues but they are too old for me to assume they remain valid.

Don't have Win10 so I'm fumbling around in the dark but you could try installing this:
https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=14632

Also make sure all your drivers are updated.

#3 BadKimche

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:11 PM

Problem is, it's not supported by Win8 or better.
The only way I could see it possibly work is if I installed this and then ran MWO in compatibility mode for win7. Even then, there is no reason to think it would work when it isn't supported by the Win10.
I'm not thinking I could also run this Visual C++ Package in compatibility mode as well, are you?

Still, maybe that is the right direction of sorts, maybe I should back off on compatibility mode for the game from Win8 to Win7.

I'll try it and let you know.

Edited by BadKimche, 25 September 2015 - 08:12 PM.

#4 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

View PostBadKimche, on 25 September 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

Problem is, it's not supported by Win8 or better.
The only way I could see it possibly work is if I installed this and then ran MWO in compatibility mode for win7. Even then, there is no reason to think it would work when it isn't supported by the Win10.
I'm not thinking I could also run this Visual C++ Package in compatibility mode as well, are you?

Still, maybe that is the right direction of sorts, maybe I should back off on compatibility mode for the game from Win8 to Win7.

I'll try it and let you know.

My computer competence is somewhere in the "semi-knowledgeable idiot" range so I can't really help much if it gets more complicated. Win7 compatibility might be the way to go as there were some troubles with win8 and MWO some time back.

Did you try running the game with the 32bit client ? Someone had success with that and win10.

#5 BadKimche

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:44 AM

Ironwithin, after my last post I did try the 32bit client and it worked. After getting into game and on TS with my clan I found others who had this problem. They all say it's an issue with DirectX. I found something like this on a MS support forum and the MS guys told people to reinstall Win10 with the content creation tool, which I am pretty sure I have done. Frankly I think this whole thing is MS being on their ass again pushing into new territory and leaving it up to the rest of the world to catch up.

It seems though that somewhere I saw a setting related to MWO where I could chose the version of directX to use, between 9 and 11 I think. But I can't remember where, I am looking for that right now. I want to set I to 11 because I think I chose 9 before and I think that might be my problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users