227 replies to this topic

#141 Goober goos

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

View PostVoid2258, on 25 September 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

Except I generally play as a team. I picked that specific example that had a large number of kills so I could point out the incongruity, but that wasn't from me hogging, it was incidental. I am in fact generally the biggest into team coordination and tactics of anyone in my matches. My point was that I got those stats above (8 other people on my team were alive and we had a decent spread of damage and kills so you know we weren't playing stupidly) and for some reason I didn't get over 300. You have something similar and do. So that means there are some invisible and unexplained factors that give you your score and me mine, and that is the frustrating thing: I am not playing badly or selfishly, but yet the game never seems to give me a good score no matter what.

PGI tweaked the end score to take more from Wins.

#142 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:34 AM

View PostCmdr Hurrell, on 24 September 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

So again, we need a high score in the matches, to get a paltry 4 million... after playing 80 f**king matches (80 f**king matches above 300 points that is, which for me translates to about 120 matches) Another event where you pretend for us to get sick of grinding and seeing disgusting min maxed metamechs? Really, this is your way of showing us you learned from the last event mistakes? Yeah sure now I am completely convinced about whether or not get the Marauder package. Spoiler alert, is not a yes.

I noticed the high bar requirement again. In previous events (before PSR) it seemed a lot more players were achieving the required match score to qualify for event goodies....

#143 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:44 AM

View Postmark v92, on 26 September 2015 - 05:00 AM, said:

good. that means you will now get a bonus for that match. thats it.

pgi isnt forcing everybody to do all the matches +300.
see it as them giving you a bonus when you have a nice match

People are thinking all wrong about this.
You dont need to earn all of the 4 million. that is the max
if you plan to get the full 4 million you will get frusterated.
just dont. just play. be happy when you get a small bonus.

See that's the wrong mentality. For the high scores that means killing/damaging the enemy, which means others aren't getting it those points. So instead of having to play 80 to 100 matches, you have to play, what? Twice that? Three times that? More?

They even said in the event description: hey, don't have your hundred matches in? Now's the time to get it and get your event bonus as well. Thing is, if you're fighting against other players, team mates to get your score, it just an exercise in frustration.

#144 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 26 September 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

See that's the wrong mentality. For the high scores that means killing/damaging the enemy, which means others aren't getting it those points. So instead of having to play 80 to 100 matches, you have to play, what? Twice that? Three times that? More?

They even said in the event description: hey, don't have your hundred matches in? Now's the time to get it and get your event bonus as well. Thing is, if you're fighting against other players, team mates to get your score, it just an exercise in frustration.

yes, so? if it was 80 matches to get it PGi could have just given everybody that was online this weekend 4 mil.
its an event with a small challange in it. You still have to do something for it.

you are the one with the wrong idea if you think pgi should reward you with 4 mil after 80-100 matches.
the game itself rewards you with that.(in my opinion not enough but thats a different discussion)
PGI just threw in something extra if you play a good match. be happy for that. its better than nothing (heck its better than last weekend)

Edit: it doesnt even have minimum games requirment. Even if you get 40 matches in you will still get that 2 mil. you dont have to do anything special. just play, have fun and check next week how much you get.

Edited by mark v92, 26 September 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#145 HUBA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:09 AM

Yes the match score changed not to my favor. Before I was in the top 1/3 now I'm in the bottom 1/3. I guess it is because damage become a strong (the strongest) part in the score while the other rewards just get a little buff.

#146 Apamis

Rookie

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

Another "high" score event...

Match score weighs offensive events (damage/kills/component destruction) much higher than defensive events (like damage taken/components lost, there are a few taken into account like spotting and lance formation but they pale in comparison to the damage/kills effect on match score).
Do not get me wrong, in recent months there have been good improvements to the Match score calculation.

However, the net effect (on solo play) turns MWO from a team FPS strategy game into a twitch FPS solo game. People bring the "best" they have in the weight class and blob out (too bad if your too slow, since winning the match does not matter) and do as much damage/kills as they can. This is demonstrated by the point that it has become a competition among teammates to get kill shots, so much so that large numbers of team mates will disengage and dive on one weak enemy Mech just to get the kill.

Strategy and team play largely go out the window.
Truth be told this style of play is fine if you like twitch based solo FPS games. (We can all name a few of these)
However, from the ground up MWO was built as a team game where strategy does matter.
This event with the previous event has served to undermine that basic premise.

I want to be clear, I am not against having events where "high" match scores are needed. I just feel like the match score calculation should be better balanced to offensive/defensive actions (not an easy task, I will say) beforehand.

#147 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostApamis, on 26 September 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

Another "high" score event...

Under the old scoring system, a lot more people were able to complete the event...

#148 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:54 AM

The score required is too high and the payout too low.

Not enough for me to give up my plans and play MWO this weekend.

Should be match score 250 and 100k per game - but with the same potential maximum reward.

Edited by Jabilo, 26 September 2015 - 11:54 AM.

#149 Boaz Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 96 posts
  • LocationApperently , back on the island

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

The new scoring really is what I have come to expect here. Screw something up double down on It, then make some changes to it that make I better much later while saying bigger changes are coming. I just hope they get it right before they hit Steam. I am just going to ignore the "events" as to me they just hammer home how little they must be playing the game themselves to think scoring is even close to something that works atm. I have been playing on hopes and dreams since day one why change that it has worked for them so far.

#150 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:42 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 25 September 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

I disagree; this time, you don't need to buy two mech packs, plus the Resistance Pack or God knows what else just to qualify for the prizes-now EVERYONE can earn them.

Thank you, PGI, for continually putting on events.

You might want to check your math. Blood money in non resistance mechs (i.e. everyone who didn't purchase resistance packs) earned 10 million C-Bills for 40 matches, and only required a match score of 150. Versus 4 million C-Bills in 80 matches with a required match score of 300 for payback.

So, not only did Blood Money earn *everyone* more than Payback, it was a far easier goal to accomplish.

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 24 September 2015 - 06:42 PM, said:

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 30th 11:59:49 PM (PDT) (October 1st at 6:59:59 AM UTC)

September 30th is Wednesday. So does the event end on Tuesday, or on the 30th?

Edited by EgoSlayer, 26 September 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#151 tee5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

Devs should play their game more often.

300 Matchscore in Lights and Mediums is pretty demanding. Since their Matchscore-Formula is merley based on damage.
I dont say it is impossible, but you will definetly need more than 20 Matches to finish this challenge on lights and mediums.

I would say for 20 succesfull matches, maybe 60 trys.

Did I allready said, that your Matchscore-Formula is Bad in CW and Pug Games? No? Simply look at my signature.

Edited by tee5, 26 September 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#152 r4p70r

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

I finished Assaults, Heavys and Mediums but i have problems with my lights.
Its so frustrating, any tips for me to get points besides damage?
With the other chassis i dont had that problem but with my light, awful, i try really hard!

#153 Ian G

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:10 PM

My lights are done, after roughly 6 hours playing. A about 40 games I did it. Was ok to do, not very easy but ok. Just had to focus in getting quick kills on the lights (hint: shoot side torso for xl death) and then run to enemy assaults and lurm boats and kill them from behind as quick as possible.No component farming, just go for CT and kill it. Stay alive and win the game.
Oh, and scout ahead and drop a uav when enemys team is chasing you. It gives you a great scouting bonus. And equip a strike and hit enemy with it, you get all the assists which give you massive Matchscore bonus.

Now i started playing my stormcrow with the 6 MPLas and so far I had one game that did not qualify. Just pouring damage and getting kills. A lot easier, but a little bit boring. My key to sucess: Lurms do no to less damage under 180m. ;)

Use these Tipps and enjoy your C-Bills.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Ian G, 26 September 2015 - 05:11 PM.

#154 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

50k extra is a little cheap for 300+ scores. not really even an event unless your collecting MC

#155 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:14 AM

View PostIan G, on 26 September 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

...scout ahead and drop a uav when enemys team is chasing you. It gives you a great scouting bonus. And equip a strike and hit enemy with it, you get all the assists which give you massive Matchscore bonus...

Use these Tips and enjoy your C-Bills.

Spend 80K CBills to potentially win 50K CBills...?

I guess that really is 'pay back' ;)

#156 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:43 AM

Hmm, considering the mess the last event ended up as - nothing new learned :(

#157 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:35 AM

Can we just try not having an event every damn weekend?

I used to look forward to events when they came once a month or less but now they are just ruining any chance at normal gameplay.

Burnt out of all this stupidity.

#158 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 27 September 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

Can we just try not having an event every damn weekend?

Opportunities to earn more are great ... and are especially necessary since they nerfed the crap out of earnings.

They just need to de-derp the scoring formula to incent players to play well.

The current formula overly rewards damage, incents people to do the wrong thing in matches, and to only bring tanky, long range Mechs.

Edited by Appogee, 27 September 2015 - 06:40 AM.

#159 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

View PostTsuki Ookami vas Mugunghwa, on 26 September 2015 - 04:19 AM, said:

this event is so punishing for lights. (and maybe smaller mediums).

i have to nearly overdo my whole playstyle.

as in:
- avoid killing blows.
- try to get 12 assists. which forces to change my setup to something with ERLL. can't tap the whole team with small pulses.
- clip off all components, no matter how irrelevant. like the little wings on cicadas. aiming on torso just makes enemy die faster and gives me less time to shoot at arms and legs.

pls, for the love of god, give lights a matchscore multiplier. it doesn't even have to affect XP/CBill gain. with only a 10% multiplier i would get 5 times more qualified matches than now.

Avoid killing blows ?... Nope. Wrong.
12 assist ? Yes. If you get a laser glance at someone for no risk. Do it.
Farming damage ? You could but you should not need too.

Regardless whether your a light or an assault.
Damage is king for match score... Being a frontline light fighter close to your team, UAVs, UAV kills, Good ARTY strikes all helps.

I don't get his argument that people should not aim for the kill..
First question you should ask yourself.
Can you even kill a enemy mech fast in a normal game ?
The only time why you should consider on farming damage is when its the last mech and its an AFK...

Else if your wasting time early or mid match, your contributing your team's chances of losing...

--

Lights should play their strengths do damage with hit and runs... Over and over... You will get your 300 match score no problem.

Edited by ShinVector, 27 September 2015 - 07:45 AM.

#160 shopsmart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

Been playing an assault more and easy to get 300, but run a light. Did 2 games just now doing great. Didn't even break 250. Game favors high damage. Lights hopefully will get a boost in PSR when rebalance comes throug.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users