Payback Event

227 replies to this topic

#161 Polkastein

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

Would be nice to see a multiplier applied to mediums and lights if match score is going to be the general rule for most events.

#162 Devolton

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 44 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSG

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:59 PM

I know this sound weird, I saw all my qualifying round for the event, i mean my score is above 400 for public event and not a single 300 plus , which make me wonder am I the only one. hmmmmmmm.

#163 Ren Grey

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

Sorry but 300 is not a big deal. I accomplished my light segment while leveling Urban Mechs for christ sake and I am an average player at best. While I certainly agree with the fact that events do bring out character flaws in many players and I take issue with a number of things in this game, the amount of complaining in these forums is just plain ridiculous.

Edited by Ren Grey, 27 September 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#164 PT1

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:28 PM

Been running a SCR laser boat for this event. Running around (a lot) and hot. The firepower cannot match heavies or assaults but the speed is what saves me from many near death situation. Barely made it in terms of score. Lots of peeking and stealing shots (sometimes even behind friendlies).

Gave up on heavy, dies too quickly before reaching the damage required.

#165 PT1

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:58 PM

Not sure if this was discussed previously, if the scoring system is to foster collaboration, then perhaps the scoring could be segregated by mech class e.g. Lights scoring higher (as high as inflicting damage currently) on scouting, uav, counter ecm etc. i.e. encourage players to contribute based on the role their mech is supposed to play, of sorts.

Just my 2 cents, feel free to disagree.

#166 Javenri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:16 PM

Lights in general score less than heavier mechs. Of course there are players that can easily break 300 with them but it is not the majority of average players and it is not for every light (or medium) model. That was quite evident in the previous event with lights in qeues under 10%. The solution is quite simple actually; add a multiplier when calculating damage so lights and medium get better score with less damage. The lighter the mech, the higher the multiplier. I believe this is easy to implement and will solve most problems.

#167 DebaucheryNShenanigans

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:41 PM

anyone else struggling to get 300s...?

#168 BlaineCraner

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:24 PM

View PostFluero, on 27 September 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

anyone else struggling to get 300s...?

Some times, though I'm tier 5.

This event is better than the previous one, but still has the same flaw of all "get teh pointz!" events. It doesn't really introduce anything new, and the players that can't get 300 points just feel left out.

Seriously PGI, the best reward a player can get in any game is more gameplay. Not more grinding, not more points.

#169 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:50 PM

Running around in a medium, spotting all the things, TAGging all the things, NARCing all the things, AMSing... well, large volleys of missiles. Flanking, assisting, harassing, crippling and otherwise being a useful medium. Completed a tier of the medium assist achievement.

Games over 300: 1

Switch to an unskilled Mauler loaded with LRMs. Vomit LRMs at the red triangles whenever I see one.

Games over 300: Just about every one.

There are some challenges medium 'Mechs can win. For everything else, there's massed, unthinking, brute force damage.

#170 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:52 PM

I've switched to Assaults too. It's easier to achieve the 300 points. Heavy queues are all clogged up. Mediums could do it, but don't have enough armour for the crazy playstyles people are adapting now. Lights... pfft forget it.

#171 maxmarechal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 551 posts
  • Locationnext to you...Bro...

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:09 AM

View PostPolkastein, on 27 September 2015 - 03:58 PM, said:

Would be nice to see a multiplier applied to mediums and lights if match score is going to be the general rule for most events.

this!!!!!
been upping my shadowcat all WE...last game with team i get two kills 5 assist 300 dmg with a uac10 shc and i get a matchscore of 280? is that a joke?
it takes much more to achieve that with my cat than if i play my Tbolt 5SS full mpl....not fair at all....!!!

Edited by maxmarechal, 28 September 2015 - 12:10 AM.

#172 QuulDrah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 181 posts
  • LocationAachen

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:47 AM

PGI? a suggestion...

compile a statistic, work out average damage and average matchscore calculated _without_ factoring in damage during the event for each of the four weight classes. (advanced version: do it five times, once for each tier)

don't show anyone, yes, we would love that kind of statistics, but i do understand, that this is your data... but do it, and look at these numbers yourselves...

hypothesis:
no-damage-matchscore will be more evenly distributed across weight classes than damage (and thus current matchscore).
damage will be more dominant in heavy/assault, assists/scouting/etc more dominant in light/medium...

by rounding up the above table, you might get a good estimate on what weighting/multiplying/balancing might be a viable option.

/my 2 cents

#173 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:17 AM

View PostRen Grey, on 27 September 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

Sorry but 300 is not a big deal.

It really depends on both the PSR tier you're in as well as the time of day you're playing.
I tried to verify that with a sample base of 1 (me), and when logging in with a fresh account, which after completing the tutorial and buying a firestarter with the earnings, is on the border of Tier 4/5, I can almost routinely score 500+. When playing in my regular account (this one) with a higher tier, I manage to get 300 points roughly 1/3rd of the matches, with 1/20 being 400+.

For me, it also greatly depends on the weight class. I tend to do better in (fighting) lights (Firestarter, Cheetah) than in medium (even in cheese-SCRs!) mechs. Will try Heavy tonight and assaults maybe tomorrow, if there's still time (which I doubt given my working hours).

Scoring in general, IMHO, is way too dependent on damage dealt. Given „real“ warfare, A victory with 12 consecutive headshots would be best. Least amount of ammo used, maximum amount of salvage possible, least amount of friendlies' damage incurred. Yet, in MWO, attrition warfare yields WAY more points (have one match from yesterday, where several people from both teams scored more than 700 DMG with match scores of 3x 450+ for our team and one 700ish for the enemy).

That leads to the rise of the lurm-bots, which several people asserted in chat as one of the easiest ways to get the necessary DMG values (note: they referred directly to DMG, not match score, which is kind of telling in it's own right). It also hinders diversity on the battlefield - playing as a team supporter almost never gets you the necessary scores, no matter how many hundreds of Lurms you prevent from hitting your assault buddys, no matter how nice a flanking attack you cover with your ECM. It all boils down to damage done. And that needs to change.

My suggestions for scoring:
- Make winning a larger contributing factor to final score
- Reduce damage done in its overwhelming influence (1/3rd of the factor it is now maybe? Or tie that to damage potencial or weight class)
- Introduce scores for providing team support (ECM, AMS should be easily trackable, scouting and holding locks might also work)
- Introduce a threshold to assists. 1 DMG from a laser sweep to a Dire Wolf is not an assist, but natural fluctuation. Make that 5 points for example or do even count only damage previously done to the hit location that kills the mech, i.e. only CT hits, or head hits.

Edited by PFC Carsten, 28 September 2015 - 03:18 AM.

#174 R1CK D0M

• PipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:21 AM

pls for the love of god lower the requisite to 200 on monday. I've spent 6 hours playing assaults and getting 280-290 match score over and over and it's killing my soul.

Lights and meds were easy. Heavies I haven't done yet. I've spent a day stuck at 5 wins for assaults. as;lefkjasle;kfj

edit: this is making me regret being tier 3.

Edited by R1CK D0M, 28 September 2015 - 03:22 AM.

#175 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:30 AM

View PostBlaineCraner, on 27 September 2015 - 10:24 PM, said:

Seriously PGI, the best reward a player can get in any game is more gameplay. Not more grinding, not more points.

Thank you! Yes! There are people out there that understand this. PGI I am not supporting you with real $ so that I can keep getting these crappy "events". I am supporting you because I want to see you make something worth while. Expand on that recent tutorial you made, make a campaign, add more game modes, etc. You can't possibly run out of ideas considering that the fan base is coming up with TONS of them.

View PostSparks Murphey, on 27 September 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

Running around in a medium, spotting all the things, TAGging all the things, NARCing all the things, AMSing... well, large volleys of missiles. Flanking, assisting, harassing, crippling and otherwise being a useful medium. Completed a tier of the medium assist achievement.

Games over 300: 1

Switch to an unskilled Mauler loaded with LRMs. Vomit LRMs at the red triangles whenever I see one.

Games over 300: Just about every one.

There are some challenges medium 'Mechs can win. For everything else, there's massed, unthinking, brute force damage.

This is why I didn't even bother. I just focused on mastering my Jenners, Hunchbacks, Orions, and Highlanders before the IICs come out. Funny part is that I didn't even bother with the Orions since the queue was 46-50% heavies all weekend.

Although the amount of LRM vomit was kind of annoying. LRMs should be support weapons, not the main battlement of a force. Hell, earlier I gave out information on how to make an LRM15 adder that I used to play when it first came out for funsies, that was never meant to be a serious build for someone to make specificially for match score events.

View PostPFC Carsten, on 28 September 2015 - 03:17 AM, said:

My suggestions for scoring:
- Make winning a larger contributing factor to final score
- Reduce damage done in its overwhelming influence (1/3rd of the factor it is now maybe? Or tie that to damage potencial or weight class)
- Introduce scores for providing team support (ECM, AMS should be easily trackable, scouting and holding locks might also work)
- Introduce a threshold to assists. 1 DMG from a laser sweep to a Dire Wolf is not an assist, but natural fluctuation. Make that 5 points for example or do even count only damage previously done to the hit location that kills the mech, i.e. only CT hits, or head hits.

They need to explore options for scoring for sure. Specifically they need to focus on rewarding teamwork to encourage people to not be crappy players. Reward scouting, reward when people practice tactics, reward ECM coverage, reward when someone has 2xAMS and they are shooting down all the missiles for their teammates, etc.
Or they could... You know, focus on new gameplay modes, campaigns, and actual content to keep the community engaged.

#176 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:31 AM

View PostGrayson Sortek, on 28 September 2015 - 05:30 AM, said:

Or they could... You know, focus on new gameplay modes, campaigns, and actual content to keep the community engaged.

Preferrably gameplay modes, where it's not „look, we have re-done this map, it's xx% bigger now and allows for much more tactics“ - while it doesn't. But gameplay modes where there's actual objectives to complete.

Ideally, new, immersive content and a scoring system that facilitates more teamplay come hand in hand. Heck, this would even allow for asymmetric gameplay modes like a lance of lights needs to cross a map held bei 2 or more lances of heavier mechs - giving bonus points when they do so unnoticed. Just as a quick example that comes to mind.

#177 Ren Grey

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 28 September 2015 - 03:17 AM, said:

It really depends on both the PSR tier you're in as well as the time of day you're playing.
I tried to verify that with a sample base of 1 (me), and when logging in with a fresh account, which after completing the tutorial and buying a firestarter with the earnings, is on the border of Tier 4/5, I can almost routinely score 500+. When playing in my regular account (this one) with a higher tier, I manage to get 300 points roughly 1/3rd of the matches, with 1/20 being 400+.

For me, it also greatly depends on the weight class. I tend to do better in (fighting) lights (Firestarter, Cheetah) than in medium (even in cheese-SCRs!) mechs. Will try Heavy tonight and assaults maybe tomorrow, if there's still time (which I doubt given my working hours).

I don't see this. I play nearly all day when I do play (on again off again player). I was placed at the top of tier 3 (97% to tier 2). I see now and saw even more often prior to PSR, players that are now tier 1, in matches (the amount does seem to depend on weight class). My scores have always been consistent. I don't struggle much to get a 300 in any class and I don't think I am being modest when I say I am an average player. In regard to weight class, the mech, etc. my reference was an Urban Mech which as I said at the time I was leveling, I had not even unlocked the basics yet. It is a pretty underwhelming mech even mastered. I favor medium class in which I rarely see a sub 300 score, followed by heavy and lastly assault which is probably my worst class as I think any success I achieve is due to good maneuvering which is difficult in a slow mover.

The rest of your observations and suggestions are spot on. In particular, there definitely needs to be more focus on role rewards.

I don't want to rant on about all the problems that game has but it does still feel very "beta" to me but I appreciate two things about it; 1) It is free to play, 2) Turning a table top game into a working FPS type game is a daunting task. I will end in saying that the game certainly has room for improvement and the community make a number of very reasonable suggestions that would not be hard to impliment. Many of which can be done without impacting income, yet PGI keep making their own weird changes seemingly ignoring these suggestion almost entirely. This is probably why I keep taking long breaks from playing every so often.

#178 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

View PostRen Grey, on 28 September 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

I don't see this. [...] My scores have always been consistent. I don't struggle much to get a 300 in any class and I don't think I am being modest when I say I am an average player. In regard to weight class, the mech, etc. my reference was an Urban Mech which as I said at the time I was leveling, I had not even unlocked the basics yet. It is a pretty underwhelming mech even mastered. I favor medium class in which I rarely see a sub 300 score, [...]

That was only my very personal observation, I seem to do better in lights than in mediums it seems. Good to see that you have more options to choose from even when trying to get good scores! :-)

#179 MaD hAtTeR nInJa

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 24 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

Just had a match where I pulled 412 damage, 4 kills, 4 assists, and got a match score of 291. So 20 more damage would have gotten me there, what a load of crap. This event is really annoying me. Based entirely on how much damage you deal not on how much you play as a team.

#180 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

I have one thing to suggest. Assist with most damage done should pay out way more than a kill. So many times have I gotten into a scrum, trading massive damage, only to have someone across the map Indirect fire a lrm5 for the kill. So I limp off to the next location to then get killed by a feather.

33 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users