Payback Event

227 replies to this topic

#101 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 763 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

Nice event but...
I think the score threshhold is far too high. I am a Tier 4 player and I have serious trouble scoring 300/400. Pls plan upcomming events in a way, that there is at least a chance for lower Tier players to earn something. Otherwise, its just frustrating. And a game should be fun in the first place...

#102 Nacho Cat

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:16 AM

Reading these posts is like listening to a class full of kindergarteners trying to convince their teacher that they’re all special because mom and dad said so.

Guess what, kid, you’re not always going to be special. You’re not always going to be a winner. And you know what? That’s okay. Use that as motivation to figure out what you could do better next time. Learn how to build upon your failures. Don’t whine about it until teacher gives you a shiny gold sticker just so they don’t have to listen to you cry anymore. This event is supposed to be a reward for players who occasionally have an exceptional game, it’s not meant to be a lowering of the bar so everyone can feel exceptionally special.

Just play the game and have fun. Thank PGI for creating a game that is entertaining and for providing the extra incentives that you will occasionally manage to achieve.

/end rant

Ugh, it’s been a long day at work and reading these forums for a break was a bad idea – apologies, I’m aware that my post isn’t really contributing to the quality of the feedback.

#103 Cerberus Rex

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:24 AM

Calling this a "event" is like calling "social skill" when you post what kind of color your **** had today.......
Very easy to get 300points in a spider with 2ml or 90% of any other mechs ingame.....yeah you trully give payback-time to your players - like a soziopath who is angry about something, someone..who cares he hates the hole world and someone must pay the price......

#104 Intactus

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostSereneChaos, on 25 September 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

Reading these posts is like listening to a class full of kindergarteners trying to convince their teacher that they’re all special because mom and dad said so.

So much this.

I like the game. I like the steep learning curve (Just started two months ago). I like this event. (I mean, free mc and cbills. What is there not to like?) I even like most of the player base thus far but dear god all this drama on the forums. :blink:
So many entitled brats.

I mean c'mon, Its 300 points. Play a decent match and get a little bonus or just chillax and do your thing, you aren't missing anything spectacular anyway. No reason to rant and whine.

Also, first post ever so hi everyone. o7
See you out there.

#105 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostIntactus, on 25 September 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

So much this.

I like the game. I like the steep learning curve (Just started two months ago). I like this event. (I mean, free mc and cbills. What is there not to like?) I even like most of the player base thus far but dear god all this drama on the forums. :blink:
So many entitled brats.

I mean c'mon, Its 300 points. Play a decent match and get a little bonus or just chillax and do your thing, you aren't missing anything spectacular anyway. No reason to rant and whine.

Also, first post ever so hi everyone. o7
See you out there.

Welcome aboard. You're batting 1.000 if this is your only forum post (that means 100% success rate if baseball metaphors don't translate to Finnish). We could use more rational voices like yours on the forum :)

#106 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 750 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostTWIAFU, on 25 September 2015 - 03:49 AM, said:

So, just like Solo queue every day, with or without an event.

There is a two word solution to that, but you are not going to like it.

Group Queue.

Seriously? Your solution for not seeing meta mechs is a group queue? Like those on CW that just so happen to bring exclusively metas?
I really hope you were trolling or drunk when you wrote that.

#107 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

View PostCmdr Hurrell, on 25 September 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

Seriously? Your solution for not seeing meta mechs is a group queue? Like those on CW that just so happen to bring exclusively metas?

Yes.

If you want to play in matches where you are not surrounded by 11 selfish players, some even running lame meta - badly, Group Queue.

Are you trolling or just drunk to not be able to understand that?

#108 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostCmdr Hurrell, on 25 September 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

At least with group queue, if you can surround yourself with 2-11 players that can plan and organize with you.

#109 Girth Fillmore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 174 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

To all the naysayers upset that this challenge will change the way people play, with their unfair ERLL and boring gauss, and whatever other system the commenters can't seem to find a counter to: How exactly will a potential 50K cbill boost change the way pilots behave?

THE END TIMES ARE UPON US!!!!!!!1

Do you react this way any time someone activates premium time? Bear in mind this could be happening EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I suggest you take to the forums to let everyone know how terrible the minor injection of potential spacebucks will ruin the game for the duration of the event, and how you will not be participating.

Maybe for the duration of the event, you can change the way YOU play! Respond to an evolving combat situation with countermovement and team coordination. Focus fire. Call out and destroy enemy UAVs. Piggyback on team ECM or bring your own.

Or just don't play, and keep warm and cozy in your assertion that every external element in the game is the reason you perform poorly. It has nothing to do with you at all.

#110 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:31 PM

My Locust 1E is going to see some action, methinks...

#111 shopsmart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:34 PM

So far I have been pleasantly surprised with the lrm rain being alot better than last week.

#112 Void2258

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

If you want to base a contest on match score how about making it so I can't come out a match victorious, not dead, with 4 kills and 11 assists and 400+ damage and with 8 teammates alive and still not get a match score greater than 300. Based on that I apparently need to score at least 6 kills or have more than 800 damage in order to break your threshold.

Edited by Void2258, 25 September 2015 - 05:43 PM.

#113 BlaineCraner

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:53 PM

View PostSereneChaos, on 25 September 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

Yeah, but that viewpoint doesn't show the full spectrum of the problem. It can be as toxic as the complete opposite whining. The issue is often not about skill, but about time. Many players don't have time to master the game to rank up the "simple" 300 points.

To be honest, there should be more events that not just reward the player with more "points" for doing what you are doing when playing on any other day. There should be events that change something in the way we play, while still giving other players the option play the normal, traditional matches. The best reward for a player in any game is more gameplay, not just another number that will go "ding!" on the account.

And by more gameplay, I don't mean more grinding.

Edited by BlaineCraner, 25 September 2015 - 02:53 PM.

#114 shopsmart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

View PostBlaineCraner, on 25 September 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

Yeah, but that viewpoint doesn't show the full spectrum of the problem. It can be as toxic as the complete opposite whining. The issue is often not about skill, but about time. Many players don't have time to master the game to rank up the "simple" 300 points.

To be honest, there should be more events that not just reward the player with more "points" for doing what you are doing when playing on any other day. There should be events that change something in the way we play, while still giving other players the option play the normal, traditional matches. The best reward for a player in any game is more gameplay, not just another number that will go "ding!" on the account.

And by more gameplay, I don't mean more grinding.

Know what. Something that alters the game. I like this. Could always do theme events. Like stock mechs only or 3025 tech. Clan on clan only. Stuff like that would suit a number of fans. But with the coming steam roll in, that option might well just die off.

#115 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:44 PM

Ok it's not super easy but I already have 8 qualifying games for the light bracket. If I am not upper tier than I guess you all should take heart.

What I like about this event is that the grind is only as long as you want. There is no end-prize... the only goal would be to get as many qualifying games as possible. You don't depend on rng, you don't have to collect ANYTHING. Show up for a game, do you your best and cash out. No its not the BEST reward ever but for that reason the douchebaggery may actually be tolerable. Only the completionists will be batcrap Loco to get all teh spacebux.

Edited by MovinTarget, 25 September 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#116 Intactus

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

View PostVoid2258, on 25 September 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

If you want to base a contest on match score how about making it so I can't come out a match victorious, not dead, with 4 kills and 11 assists and 400+ damage and still not get a match score greater than 300. Based on that I apparently need to score at least 6 kills or have more than 800 damage in order to break your threshold.

I dont get these posts. And that's coming from a total rookie. See this:

Posted Image

There you have 312 points with one kill, 10 assists and 359 damage. That's all it takes if you at least pretend doing some teamwork in between targets.

Now see one above: Same kill and assists, adding that 800ish dmg you mentioned. That's already whopping 500 points.

Now again see one above: same 800ish dmg, got NINE kills but only 3 assists. Equals almost the same as just one kill and 10 assists.

So what does this mean?

It mean's your doing it wrong.

It means it's a team game. Playing the way that benefits your team and helping your buddies win gets you better results easier than being a selfish bastid and trashing around trying to inflate your own purse.

The points themselves are easy. Playing smart and being an actual asset for your team. Making a difference. Now that's hard. Really hard. Or at least that's what i have concluded so far in my two months of stompy robots...

And by the way, It's a videogame. You are supposed to have fun playing it.

#117 Egg90

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

Cheers PGI :)
I came back to MWO a week ago & saw the customer appreciation rewards. Ok 100 matches for 2mil cbills, nice.
Got ~4mil cbills doing the new acadamy stuff, sweet!
Then I saw the the Marauder packs. I was thinking of investing in a Firebrand, but 3 new mechs + extras for less money, and qualifying for the Inner Sphere Reward of a free Wolverine? SOLD!
Oh hang on, if I buy MC for 30 days premium time I also get a free Cicada? Well spank my ass and call me Charlie if I don't jump right on that!
Now I get upto 4mil cblills dumped on me at some point in the future + free Marauder MC for just playing as best as I can.

I haven't been LRM boating or sniping more than usual, infact I've done best and had the most fun in my pulse lasered Raven 2X, and haven't been abnormally annoyed by people doing the former. Probably 2/3 of the time I've made the 300 score and it's making me a better player.

All this for less money than a night down the pub, I'm one happy warrior.

#118 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

Again a stupid anti pinpoint event ... whatever rewards are pointless this time

#119 blah40000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

reward is small enough to not care about if you don't get it, but it's easy enough to get that it's not worth complaining about. this is certainly a MASSIVE step in the right direction for community events. this however does not excuse the fiasco that was the last one.

#120 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

Not seeing many 300 match scores in the matches Maybe 3 to 5 both teams. Maybe set it to 250 next time.

39 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 39 guests, 0 anonymous users