Battletech Kickstarter

716 replies to this topic

#701 Haazheel IIC

• PipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

Played a few hours and i love it! Alpha strike in the back feels very satisfying, killed one pilot with a critical headshot (only once)..yea i had a blast so far! Nothing to complain

#702 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostHaazheel, on 02 June 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

Played a few hours and i love it! Alpha strike in the back feels very satisfying, killed one pilot with a critical headshot (only once)..yea i had a blast so far! Nothing to complain

Yes, there are a few bugs like the Atlas sprinting as fast as a locust, but not bad for an early beta.

#703 PanzerTC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 104 posts
  • LocationA Tank

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

12 games 4 losses. Fun so far. Needs some tweaking, but that is what those Beta Reports are for. Taking all the chances to provide some input. I hope it helps.

#704 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:21 AM

beyond the turned based nature of both games, I almost feel like it's XCOM with mechs.

That's not a complaint.

#705 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:20 PM

I just bought the beta tier and am about to play!

I hope it lives up to my expectations and more!

#706 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

View PostJohn Archer, on 03 June 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

I just bought the beta tier and am about to play!

I hope it lives up to my expectations and more!

Just remember that it is not the final product. Make sure you report any bugs you find too.

#707 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

Been really enjoying the beta!

Very much looking forward to the rest of the game. I so want in at the rest of single player stuff and the mechlab :)

It's a little weird playing builds and mechs that wouldn't touch in mwo... and enjoying using lots of lrms lol

Edited by chucklesMuch, 03 June 2017 - 08:35 PM.

#708 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

I reported a bug... managed to make 2 mechs occupy the same spot.

#709 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:29 PM

Most fun match I have had was with two medium lances (I forget which). I had the one with a Centurion, Orion, Commando and Hunchback. Hunchbacks are just plain awesome in 3025 and Orions are not bad either. The Centurion-A was surprisingly good, much more useful than in MWO.

#710 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:27 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 05 June 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

Most fun match I have had was with two medium lances (I forget which). I had the one with a Centurion, Orion, Commando and Hunchback. Hunchbacks are just plain awesome in 3025 and Orions are not bad either. The Centurion-A was surprisingly good, much more useful than in MWO.

RNG and no ability to just shoot the hump? ;)

#711 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:41 AM

I've seen some gameplay videos. Not impressed by the enemy AI, but it's a must buy for me. I won't partecipate to the early beta though, 60$ to report bugs it's too expensive for me. You should pay less if you help the devs reporting bugs, not more...

#712 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:18 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 02 June 2017 - 08:52 AM, said:

What, a pilot can't get a lucky shot?

A lucky shot could be something like hitting despite a low hit probability. Somethnig with a mangeable impact. A lucky hit being a head shot that removes a pristine mech from the game is not acceptable if you only got 4 mechs to play with.

Why bother with a complex rule system, setting up a battle field, and planning your moves, if the end result is just a result of chance that could negate every decision you made?

Of course there should be random elements - but their impact must be manageable and overall the final sucess must come from the decisions made by the peope playing the game, not the dice rolls.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 06 June 2017 - 03:21 AM.

#713 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:40 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 06 June 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

A lucky shot could be something like hitting despite a low hit probability. Somethnig with a mangeable impact. A lucky hit being a head shot that removes a pristine mech from the game is not acceptable if you only got 4 mechs to play with.

Why bother with a complex rule system, setting up a battle field, and planning your moves, if the end result is just a result of chance that could negate every decision you made?

Of course there should be random elements - but their impact must be manageable and overall the final sucess must come from the decisions made by the peope playing the game, not the dice rolls.

QFT

Although I feel that is much better manageable compared to the real dice rolling in TT.
When you move to the side arc of a target much more shots will hit that location. In TT it did happen that you suddenly only hit the other flank (luck)
or you did accept risks to get in the rear of a target only to hit legs or arms.

Same with PSR - missed a roll of +4 and you hunchback crumbled got damaged and the ammo went critical.

The main reason I started (to try to convert TT to something else was to get rid of dice rolls - keep the statistic drop the luck)

#714 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:03 AM

I think you can keep dice rolls, you just have to think about what you roll for, what your spread is in probabilities.

For example, somethnig ike a (deadly) head shot should probably just not be something that happens just because you roll on some hit location table. Too random.

But if you said... "Target must be shut down, prone or unstable, you must be within 3 Hex of the target if you're at low heat and haven't run or jumped this turn. Then you can shoot only one weapon, and then you can roll an attack against the head."

If you are okay with "non-simulationist" rules you could have Pilots with a "Decapitation" special ability that allows them to a head shot once per match. Say, roll a difficult target number if some conditions are met, you fire only one gun this turn. If you succeed, you hit the head, if you fail, you can try again next turn - but of course, you're spending a lot of time where you could have dealt a lot of damage instead of trying to get that magic head shot. If you fight with larger mech groups, this might also be okay.

The point is such a critical event should be something that is based primarily on player decisions that actively lead to the situation, and only secondary due to randomness.

#715 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

I am loving it so far. I actually have no problems with the lucky shot.
It does seem like you are more likely to get devastatingly lucky crits with MGs and SRMs!. Then LRMs and ACs.
Lasers and PPC seem tremendously under powered to me so far. I will say they are great if you knock a mech down with your missiles then the next mech targets with MLs!

All in all it is not overly buggy. I have had a couple matches were at around turn 8-12 the enemy mechs just move and don't attack. I reported it of course.

The exciting thing to me is this is just a small sample of the game and it seems to be pretty well polished. It makes me think the game will be pretty amazing upon final release!

#716 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:33 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 06 June 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

This is a recreation of the table top game though and removing critical hits and RNG would essentially involve having a different game - MWO sounds more up your street as thats "skill based".

#717 Icantswim

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

So I was browsing youtube recently
and I found a video that is no
doubt some of you might find mildly
entertaining. It's from a
recent E3 event.

You get around the back of a battlemech and BAM! Penetrate!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users