So, Battletech. Thoughts?

98 replies to this topic

#1 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:05 AM

PGI is backing Battletech not just with models and art but are now organizing a 0 hour Alpha Strike money bomb to fund it.

My thoughts,
I played TT some when I was a kid, read a few of the books, totally obsessed with the 1P Shooters.
I still enjoy boardgames, play with my kids, but Im just not into turn based pc games.
I like shooters above all else, that's why I rank Mech4 Black Knight as 1 of the greatest games of all times. Up until recently I kept an old xp machine around just to play it from the discs.

I love Battletech Universe. It is one of the best fleshed out Universes in scifi, so I want to support the new game even though I won't play it. I see it as an investment in the BT Universe as a whole, might help the budget of a movie if there are multiple games going with the Creator involved.

So yeah Im going to throw some cash at this.

Thoughts? Opinion even?

#2 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:41 AM

Hopefully, art is the only influence PGI will have on the new Battletech game.

#3 Kushko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 493 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

If im not mistaken, the guys making it are the guys that made Shadowrun, which means it should be pretty interesting. Shadowrun but in the battletech universe with mech battles? Heck yeah! And we know the mechs will look good since they're using the MWO art and models.

At the moment it feels like a solid investment to me and i cant wait to see their kickstarter page.

#4 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

I am going to support it for sure. Any traction for the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe is good traction.

#5 Lootee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostAethon, on 26 September 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

If PGI has anything to do with the new game besides art and 3D models I'm not backing the kickstarter.

#6 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostTractor Joe, on 26 September 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

PGI is backing Battletech not just with models and art but are now organizing a 0 hour Alpha Strike money bomb to fund it.

My thoughts,
I played TT some when I was a kid, read a few of the books, totally obsessed with the 1P Shooters.
I still enjoy boardgames, play with my kids, but Im just not into turn based pc games.
I like shooters above all else, that's why I rank Mech4 Black Knight as 1 of the greatest games of all times. Up until recently I kept an old xp machine around just to play it from the discs.

I love Battletech Universe. It is one of the best fleshed out Universes in scifi, so I want to support the new game even though I won't play it. I see it as an investment in the BT Universe as a whole, might help the budget of a movie if there are multiple games going with the Creator involved.

So yeah Im going to throw some cash at this.

Thoughts? Opinion even?

I would donate, but unless there's an option to pay without having a creditcard I'm not aware of, I won't be able to.

#7 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:04 AM

I'll only donate if they have Quadruped mechs in.
Oh who am i kidding, i'll probably chime in, even if they don't, BUT I SHALL DO THAT RELUCTANTLY AND WITH OBVIOUS RESENTMENT

#8 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

Depends on the features. I want in depth salvage and at least some logistics.

Also price point-to-feature will be a factor. MegaMek offers obscene amounts of features for no cost.

#9 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

View PostLootee, on 26 September 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

If PGI has anything to do with the new game besides art and 3D models I'm not backing the kickstarter.

I would imagine they have a 'You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' relationship. I'm hoping that's how it is. I plan to back the new game, but if PGI has their hands in it (Other than helping with art assets), I'm not too sure. Weisman is really good at what he does and with what his team has done with Shadowrun, if any team deserves to have a funded kickstarter, it's his.

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:14 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 26 September 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

I'll only donate if they have Quadruped mechs in.
Oh who am i kidding, i'll probably chime in, even if they don't, BUT I SHALL DO THAT RELUCTANTLY AND WITH OBVIOUS RESENTMENT

Fielding Scorpion, Goliath or Xanthos? That would be great!

#11 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:14 AM

ZING! quoted for truth

#12 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:15 AM

View Postmartian, on 26 September 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

Fielding Scorpion, Goliath or Xanthos? That would be great!

Xanthos is sadly extinct during the 3025 era (but i do believe it gets revived during the Jihad)
So, just the Scorpion and Goliath.

#13 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostLootee, on 26 September 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

View PostRonyn, on 26 September 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

I would imagine they have a 'You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' relationship. I'm hoping that's how it is. I plan to back the new game, but if PGI has their hands in it (Other than helping with art assets), I'm not too sure. Weisman is really good at what he does and with what his team has done with Shadowrun, if any team deserves to have a funded kickstarter, it's his.

Do you guys follow CGL at all?

There's a video on YouTube where the head CGL guys were at a convention and they talked about the HBS Battletech game, explaining that they'll be handling the rules the game operates by.

Meaning all the combat will be strictly TT based rules.

PGI is only, only handling the mech art aspect.

#14 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 26 September 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

Do you guys follow CGL at all?

There's a video on YouTube where the head CGL guys were at a convention and they talked about the HBS Battletech game, explaining that they'll be handling the rules the game operates by.

Meaning all the combat will be strictly TT based rules.

PGI is only, only handling the mech art aspect.

I have watched it, but, after many years of using dis ere internet box, I'll believe it when I see it.

PS I still plan on backing them.

Edited by Ronyn, 26 September 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:54 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 26 September 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

Xanthos is sadly extinct during the 3025 era (but i do believe it gets revived during the Jihad)
So, just the Scorpion and Goliath.

Xanthos had XNT-30 IntroTech variant (exactly the variant for 3025 era) that went extinct during Succession Wars. BattleMechs can survive for centuries, so inserting one into the game should be no problem.

#16 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

View Postmartian, on 26 September 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

Xanthos had XNT-30 IntroTech variant (exactly the variant for 3025 era) that went extinct during Succession Wars. BattleMechs can survive for centuries, so inserting one into the game should be no problem.

No, i'm pretty sure it got extinct by the time of the 2nd Succession war which was during the ~2830-2860.
It only re-emerged during the Jihad, when they found the designs.

#17 White Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

I wonder if there is a way to contact HBS or JW directly, we need to find out sooner rather than later if PGI is involved in any development.

I second what others have said here. Art work is fine but if PGI is involved in anything other then that, i'm not interested in the slightest. Looking to what happened with Transverse, it's very safe to say almost everybody shares the same feelings.

#18 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 26 September 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

I would donate, but unless there's an option to pay without having a creditcard I'm not aware of, I won't be able to.

You can use a pre-paid card if you've got a remaining balance at least $1 more than your pledge

#19 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:23 AM

I already got burned quite well by MW:Tactics, thank you,and a few others over the years. As a result, I will never pre-fund a game again.

I`ll take a look at it and if I like it buy it when it`s out, IF it comes out, and that`s it. Maybe I`ll prepay a symbolic dollar, assuming that gets me something of tangible value when it`s released.

Edited by Zerberus, 26 September 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#20 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:39 AM

Considering how many Shadowrun games they managed to put out. They at least have a good track record. Assuming they aren't puling the old switcheroo on us. Just stay informed. Wait to get as much of the whole picture as you can before choosing to back them. Don't make wild assumptions about what you're entitled to. As far as I've heard, it's not going to be F2P, so you don't have to worry as much about a drawn out development cycle while you play the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users