Can We Leave General Pieces Of Advice For People Here? Because Seriously...

83 replies to this topic

#1 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

If someone is sitting still on the field, half concealed, facing toward the general area of the baddies...they're aiming. Don't park in front of their gauss. They might not be able to see you while zoomed in and all you're going to do is get hammered, mad, and screw up both your scores.

Edited by Makenzie71, 29 September 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#2 Duke ramulots

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

I have one. if someone is popping up over a hill to shoot and returning to the same spot over and over, don't run into their spot when they jump up. It gets them killed 60% of the time, every time...

#3 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

^That is one of my favorites. Step back into cover waiting for alpha to cool down...some idiot uses opportunity to pop out right where you were and gets clobbered by the entire red team and dies...then you can't see anything because smoke.

Edited by Makenzie71, 29 September 2015 - 10:35 AM.

#4 Trev Firestorm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

Related: Don't decide to start a peek and poke right in the middle of the ramp the rest of you're team/lance is trying to walk up, they will block your retreat, you will die, and it will be your own fault.

#5 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

Don't camp on ramps.

I made it rhyme to help it be retained.

#6 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:36 AM

If your team is surrounded, find the enemy's weakest point and push. Staying put leads to death.

#7 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:36 PM

*Pick a blo*dy firing line and stick with it. Don't use your acceleration curve to laterally block 25 metres of everyone elses fireing lines by constantly moving forwards and backwards across them.

*Don't expect a Dire to get out of your way. Move your damned arse out of their way.

*Don't stand right the fu*k behind someone.

*Don't keep reversing unless you know what you're reversing into. You're forcing half your team to take evasive action to avoid your sorry ass.

*You've got a whole damned zone to move in. How the hell do you run straight into my Dire?

*If a red light is behind the team and spotting/sniping - tell us. Then pray we have a light or medium pilot who is not so fu*king ret*rded that they simply ignore them in favour of C-bill farming damage in the main line.

#8 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:43 PM

Everything you know and do in this game doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you can't aim worth a $#!+. So resist the urge to hammer down on the trigger the moment you're generally pointed in the direction of the bad guys, and take a moment to make sure your crosshair is actually on top of said bad guys before you pull the trigger.

#9 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:47 PM

View PostSignal27, on 29 September 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Everything you know and do in this game doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you can't aim worth a $#!+. So resist the urge to hammer down on the trigger the moment you're generally pointed in the direction of the bad guys, and take a moment to make sure your crosshair is actually on top of said bad guys before you pull the trigger.

...unless you're cored and that that smoking red Dire is looking at you funny, in which case hit and hope.

#10 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

Advice: Stand up straight.
extend arms rigidly toward the ground.
bend over. open your hands.
grab on tightly.

You have now found your own ass with both hands. This is step one.
step two, soon to follow.

#11 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

View PostRandom Carnage, on 29 September 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

...unless you're cored and that that smoking red Dire is looking at you funny, in which case hit and hope.

I still can't agree to that. Yes, in all likeliness the Dire Wolf will blast you into next week. But I think it's more valuable in the long run to develop the self-discipline NOT to shoot until you're fairly certain you're going to hit something. And if you practice that, you gradually speed up your aim and accuracy. It's how I developed through playing first person shooters.

#12 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

View PostSignal27, on 29 September 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

I still can't agree to that. Yes, in all likeliness the Dire Wolf will blast you into next week. But I think it's more valuable in the long run to develop the self-discipline NOT to shoot until you're fairly certain you're going to hit something. And if you practice that, you gradually speed up your aim and accuracy. It's how I developed through playing first person shooters.

Yup, I'm not disagreeing with the concept. Just observing that you probably have half a second left in game and if you spend it "aiming" then more often than not you'll simply die and achieve even less than if you wing them on the way out, and you may even kill them before they get their shot away.

#13 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:06 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 29 September 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

If someone is sitting still on the field, half concealed, facing toward the general area of the baddies...they're aiming. Don't park in front of their gauss. They might not be able to see you while zoomed in and all you're going to do is get hammered, mad, and screw up both your scores.

+1.

If a friendly is stationary, move BEHIND them.

#14 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:15 PM

We have these threads every other months but...

Stop chasing your own lights, i can't stress that enough. They are not leading a charge or a nascar. You call a grid? fine, make sure everyone understands but leave the fkin light to do their things. You dont need them hovering around you, they are fast and can come back when needed.

Stop side capping in anything else than a light. So your scr moves at 106... i dont care go shoot something.

#15 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:06 PM

1. Don't just follow the noob in front of you.
Chances are he has zero clue as to where you need to be.
2. Don't be selfish with that ECM cover the main body then go snipe.
3. If you have ECM learn to counter theirs.
4. Stop the damn noob firing, test the weapons in the testing grounds before the match.
5. Light Mechs got you down?
Shoot the damn legs, and if the sucka is jumping all over the place wait til he lands you have about a second.
Before he starts to move.
6. Before you run that shiny new mech go to the training grounds and learn it's capabilities.
7. If somebody has a plan listen it might just be worth it.
8. If you are a LRM boater like myself stay with the brawling pocket for protection.
Firing LRM's at 900 meters only allows a longer flight time and a chance for everybody's AMS to shoot them down.
9. Be a team player.
10. And last but not least don't be the damn primary target - "DON'T BE THE NOOB."

#16 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:16 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 29 September 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:

1. Don't just follow the noob in front of you.
Chances are he has zero clue as to where you need to be.
2. Don't be selfish with that ECM cover the main body then go snipe.
3. If you have ECM learn to counter theirs.
4. Stop the damn noob firing, test the weapons in the testing grounds before the match.
5. Light Mechs got you down?
Shoot the damn legs, and if the sucka is jumping all over the place wait til he lands you have about a second.
Before he starts to move.
6. Before you run that shiny new mech go to the training grounds and learn it's capabilities.
7. If somebody has a plan listen it might just be worth it.
8. If you are a LRM boater like myself stay with the brawling pocket for protection.
Firing LRM's at 900 meters only allows a longer flight time and a chance for everybody's AMS to shoot them down.
9. Be a team player.
10. And last but not least don't be the damn primary target - "DON'T BE THE NOOB."

If you see a teammate being focus fired on, move up and shoot. Cover your teammates.

#17 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:21 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 29 September 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

We have these threads every other months but...

Stop chasing your own lights, i can't stress that enough. They are not leading a charge or a nascar. You call a grid? fine, make sure everyone understands but leave the fkin light to do their things. You dont need them hovering around you, they are fast and can come back when needed.

Stop side capping in anything else than a light. So your scr moves at 106... i dont care go shoot something.

+1

So much that!!!

I can´t count the times I tried to flank the enemy in a light and then see a nice line of blue triangels on the minimap.

Don´t you chase your own lights period!

The best is when you flank and hold a lock and then get ratted out by some guy grazing your enemy at max range with a medium laser.

#18 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:46 AM

Note to self; when in Dire, don't chase my lights. Gottit.

#19 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:14 AM

Do not, under any circumstances, ever, stand directly behind a teammate. People need to reverse sometimes. Just dont do it. ever.

#20 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:42 AM

This goes for any chokepoint that you want to go through but primarily Therma. The team inside can bring more weapons to bear, in theory they can bring the enrire teams firepower but mostly it's 3 or 4 mechs. The team outside can bring 1 or 2 at a time, in an effective way. You walk up deliver x points of damage. The enemy delivers 2 or 3x damage while you back away. Who do you think will win a war of attrition if that's the ratio for every exchange?

Rush center, if the enemy is already there wait outside. If you arrive first go in. If you arrive at the same time you have 2 options.

1. Wait outside
2. Charge in and brawl and may the chips fall...

Edited by Catra Lanis, 30 September 2015 - 01:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users