General

6 replies to this topic

#1 Whatzituyah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

I remember hearing about the recent Crytek engine and the reason why PGI won't use it that it does not have Direct X 9 support. However their is Linux compatibility with the newer Crytek engine build Steam Box uses a Modified Linux OS. Maybe if they ask Crytek programmers to make Direct X 9 compatible with a new Crytek build or maybe modify it themselves they can have the best of three worlds possibly. Windows users, Linux users, and Steam Box users could all have access to the game. I know it would be difficult but we could have possibly more players this way.

More players=Possibly more money=possibly more stuff for the game in general

Thoughts? Opinions? I am curious what you think about my thoughts.

I hope this isn't the wrong place to put it if this is supposed to go to suggestions I am sorry. I just thought we discussed this here in the general forum at least the announcement of Paul saying their would be a steam edition.

Edited by Whatzituyah, 30 September 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#2 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:47 PM

A native linux build would be great, I agree.

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:22 PM

I fear it would suck due to be horrifically unoptimized... by which I mean MWO.

#4 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:47 PM

not sure why you think it doesn't have DX9 support. There is an option in settings to run MWO on DX9. In fact, for a long time I got better frame rates running in DX9 over DX11. Seems Windows 10 has changed that and I get better frames in DX11 now. But still, DX9 is very viable.

#5 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostCoolant, on 30 September 2015 - 03:47 PM, said:

not sure why you think it doesn't have DX9 support. There is an option in settings to run MWO on DX9. In fact, for a long time I got better frame rates running in DX9 over DX11. Seems Windows 10 has changed that and I get better frames in DX11 now. But still, DX9 is very viable.

Newer Cryengine builds past the one MWO uses loses support for DX9.

#6 Whatzituyah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:09 PM

View PostMatthew Ace, on 30 September 2015 - 03:50 PM, said:

Newer Cryengine builds past the one MWO uses loses support for DX9.

This is true which is why PGI is not on the boat to using it but it could open possibly more doors then it closes anyway in the new crytech engine. but they don't want to lose their DX9 users for good reason possibly because most people playing the game are playing it on a DX9 computer.

#7 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:57 PM

View PostWhatzituyah, on 30 September 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

This is true which is why PGI is not on the boat to using it but it could open possibly more doors then it closes anyway in the new crytech engine. but they don't want to lose their DX9 users for good reason possibly because most people playing the game are playing it on a DX9 computer.

To add, unless the general playerbase benefit more from DX11 than DX9, they can't move up. Part of the reason why people stuck on DX9 is also because of systems that don't support DX11 (old computers etc.).

With the advent of Win10, DX12 is hyped to be the next big thing for CPU-intensive games such as MWO (it will run better on lower specs than with DX9 and 11). It also drops DX9 support completely and that's one of the reasons ehy Imperius fights hard to get PGI to consider upgrading the engine again.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users