70 replies to this topic

#1 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts
  • LocationI live in a Mech Hangar

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

Ok, I've seen good and bad players and we all have I'm sure. However I've had only 1 person I've ever seen that used a Joystick play it well enough to earn my respect. That doesn't mean I respect all Joystick users. Some players are just not meant to use a Joystick. If its that noticeable even from someone previewing you when they die, you are usually pretty awefull. If you are good enough that it keeps up with a mouse user, then by all means keep doing what you do.

I understand practice makes perfect and we all started out somwhere, but if you are in a CW drop using a Joystick, I dont want you on my team, EVER! So it comes down to this question. Do you prefer teammates using a mouse or joystick?

#2 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:50 PM

Joystick... ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edit:
In all seriousness though - how I play, I couldn't care less what people use. I play for fun. But when it comes to CW, I can see how using a joystick can have it's downfalls and affect the team. Doesn't mean that the player is incompetent, just that accuracy and reactions are known to suffer from using joysticks.
If the person is comfortable enough using joysticks in a competitive environment, then more power to them, but I think it's fair to expect them to perform on the same level as everyone else.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 30 September 2015 - 10:53 PM.

#3 YokiLin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 154 posts
  • LocationCa, USA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:55 PM

i played over 37k matches with joystick............................. and i can't play with out it. :ph34r:

i don't see any problem play MWO with joystick.. :huh:

People just need time to learn how to use.

>> if you are in a CW drop using a Joystick, I dont want you on my team, EVER

umm....... good luck next time when u see me in Red team...

Edited by YokiLin, 01 October 2015 - 01:19 PM.

#4 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:56 PM

Mouse, but only because joystick support sucks for this game and I do no have everything I need for a better set up.

EDIT: Hey Powder Puff, did you go back BATTLETECH on Kickstarter? PvE is the main focus.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 30 September 2015 - 10:58 PM.

#5 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:09 PM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 30 September 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

Do you prefer teammates using a mouse or joystick?

Well, let me start off by saying that I am a strong believer in that it's your game that you paid money for, so you can play it however you damn want to: Mouse, keyboard, joystick, or gamepad. Use your toes instead of your hands for all I care. I also play several other games that have gamepad support that people sometimes use, and I believe if they are taking the time and putting up some money to play the game, that's their decision I have no business in dictating.

On the other hand, if you're playing with a joystick, I do sincerely hope you end up on the other team whenever I PUG drop.

#6 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:11 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 30 September 2015 - 10:56 PM, said:

Mouse, but only because joystick support sucks for this game and I do no have everything I need for a better set up.

EDIT: Hey Powder Puff, did you go back BATTLETECH on Kickstarter? PvE is the main focus.

No not yet, I was going to donate the $10,000 but someone grabbed it I think. I will wait till the next 1. I just got done reading all the stuff you get with the package deals but when I saw there will be higher tiers available later on Im going to wait and see what else comes out. I'm willing to pay them $500,000. I would nvr pay PGI that kinda doe tho, after all the **** theyve done, and all the useless Devs they hired. Nvr again PGI, you guys screwed this game up so bad, and you still cant even making a damn chat box to meat a 2015 standard.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:23 PM

i was using a joystick with pedals and rudder. ultimately stop using the stick because it started showing its age and was getting a bit sloppy around the center. so i grabbed my old dead wireless laser mouse out of the junk bin, re[laced the dead keyswitches, swapped out the dead lithium cell and started using that (attempts to fix the joystick were less successful). needless to say my stats got a major buff after that. i continue to use the throttle and pedals though.

the game's joystick support is kind of lacking. somewhere there is a really good post that dips into control theory and explains why joysticks fail so hard in this game (if i find it il edit the link into the post linky). if you've ever used a joystick in mechwarrior 2, you know how its supposed to be.

Edited by LordNothing, 30 September 2015 - 11:33 PM.

#8 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:36 PM

If you want analog movement use a splitfish. But use a mouse for aiming. You can do fine with it after you get used to it. I would suggest a good gaming mouse the splitfish mouse is junk. And of course keyboard works fine if you like to use them :)

Posted Image

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 30 September 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:42 PM

i highly reccomend the ch pro throttle for the left hand, even if you dont have pedals theres a nice little thumb stick on there you can steer with. also tons of hat switches. i think i only have to ever touch the keyboard if i want to change vision modes or chat (of course thats easily fixed if i ever get a mouse with more than 3 buttons).

#10 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:45 PM

View PostYokiLin, on 30 September 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

i played over 37k matches with joystick............................. and i can't play with out it. :ph34r:

Seeing that that the poster above has a Tier 1 badge ... I guess thread over?

(Still opposed to showing the Tiers ... but I guess here we have a case where it was actually helpful.)

#11 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:55 PM

I'm sure that every second game in which I see Yoki, his JS batteries must be going flat or something /evil grin

#12 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:10 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 30 September 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

Joystick... ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edit:
In all seriousness though - how I play, I couldn't care less what people use. I play for fun. But when it comes to CW, I can see how using a joystick can have it's downfalls and affect the team. Doesn't mean that the player is incompetent, just that accuracy and reactions are known to suffer from using joysticks.
If the person is comfortable enough using joysticks in a competitive environment, then more power to them, but I think it's fair to expect them to perform on the same level as everyone else.

I find it amusing how everyone with insufficient performance (in your case hardware-dependent I assume. And I do assume because joysticks are the rofl in MWO) hides behind "I play for fun".
Just like some other guy yesterday: talking $hit in chat, flaming, delivering 34 match score (yay!) and then flaming that he would "just play for fun" as opposed to us other idiot who don't have a live, blabla, need score to get hard, blabla.

The error and impudence in that statement is: you are not alone in the world. Other people play for fun, too, you know? And by ruining their game (everybody has to lift their weight, you know) you behave directly unsocial. Even in a game. Even for fun.

So in my book, the very lazy excuse "I'm playing just for fun [and f*** you others]" is actually rude behavior.

Edited by Paigan, 01 October 2015 - 12:12 AM.

#13 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:48 AM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 30 September 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

Seeing that that the poster above has a Tier 1 badge ... I guess thread over?

There are numerous artists that can paint with their feet better than I will ever paint with my arms.
Doesn't prove that feet are better at painting.

Mouse was found to provide better speed-accuracy than light pens or joysticks.

#14 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:52 AM

Mouse, always mouse.

I have a Joystick and it is great for flight games (Elite, Wing Commander, etc...), but it isn't necessary in MWO and is more of a burden IMO.

#15 ibex230

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:02 AM

At tier 4, I am sure there are plenty of joystick players outperforming you whether it be CW of public games. :)

#16 GRay111111

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:37 AM

Mouse for aiming (always!)
saitek x35 throttle (has rudder on fingertips) modified with LeoBodnar board and extra buttons - for throttle and turning legs (and buttons for just about everything else)

Love it, feels great to increase speed with big throttle and turn using rudder.

#17 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:54 AM

View Postibex230, on 01 October 2015 - 02:02 AM, said:

At tier 4, I am sure there are plenty of joystick players outperforming you whether it be CW of public games. :)

The ONLY reason I'm in tier 4 is because of my high ping. I average 600-2000 MS just cuz I use satellite. If i had your internet I would be in tier 1 no dought. Its very difficult to hit targets even if I'm using a mouse when your shots lag 1-3 secs behind, specially trying to hit moving light mechs. Its impossible. Sometimes projectiles dont even register even if ur aiming right at the target. Thats why I have to play at night when the bandwidth is better and my ping averages 600.

#18 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:06 AM

i have a joystick because of elite dangerous. i thought it would be funny to try it with MWO. It was funny, but in the wrong way.

#19 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:10 AM

I used to use a clitmouse and still sometimes do. Does that count?

#20 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:16 AM

It is quite literally impossible to be as effective with a joystick as it is with a mouse in any kind of FPS. Use one if you want, but you are severely handicapping yourself, and lose any right to complain when you lose.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users