The AC-10 is really a better choice than the AC-20?

129 replies to this topic

Poll: The AC-10 is really a better choice than the AC-20? (360 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one is better?

1. AC-10 (184 votes [51.11%])

Percentage of vote: 51.11%

2. AC-20 (176 votes [48.89%])

Percentage of vote: 48.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Future Perfect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:10 AM

The AC-10 has a longer range and ten shells per ton than the five shells per ton for the AC-20.

What do you think?

Edited by Future Perfect, 08 July 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#2 MrMasakari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 387 posts
  • LocationThe Kerensky Cluster

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:13 AM

AC10 9/10. AC20 is situational imo, the short range and low ammo makes it almost a burden, unless you have either manouverability or the right enviroment for it, i.e. Close quarters citymap

#3 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

The extra range sure suggests that the ac/10 may be better but thats only provided that you can hit at the longer ranges... I for one have had a much easier time hitting with an ac20 because i have to be closer to use it....I'm a horrible shot tho so maybe its all about play style and what your good at. plus for just the measly cost of 1 ton you can give your ac20 10 shots. I don't know...just my opinion, I prefer the ac/20

#4 Future Perfect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

View PostPat Kell, on 08 July 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

The extra range sure suggests that the ac/10 may be better but thats only provided that you can hit at the longer ranges... I for one have had a much easier time hitting with an ac20 because i have to be closer to use it....I'm a horrible shot tho so maybe its all about play style and what your good at. plus for just the measly cost of 1 ton you can give your ac20 10 shots. I don't know...just my opinion, I prefer the ac/20

You forgot to put your vote on the AC 20 then. :(

#5 Feindfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNew Hessen

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:24 AM

From the videos i've seen so far the ballistic weapons seem to have a rather slow projectile speed, i don't know if that speed varies for the different ACs, so i'll just assume that it'll be pretty close for all weapons of that class and i might be wrong with that. Anyway, with that information in mind i have my doubts if we can take full advantage of the smaller ACs and the extended range they provide, as a low projectile speed will result in a lot of misses at far away moving targets.
Also the AC/20 gets double the damage on target compared to the AC/10, while only weighting 2 tons more ( IIRC 12 vs 14 tons, using the old BT stats).
Without access to the beta i can of course only guess the effectivness, but atm and with the limited information i have i'd prefer the close range/high damage punch of the AC/20. Especially since the weight advantage of the AC/10 is rather small.

#6 KillerGuppy

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:24 AM

AC20 cause you dont need to have as much ammo if you hit with that force ;-)

#7 EvangelionUnit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 776 posts
  • LocationWarframe

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

both guns can pull the same amount of damage out of one ton of ammo, whil missing shot hurt harder with the AC20 ...
anyway, i think the AC10 is a bit better, because you can engage the enemy over a longer range, and can put in more shots while closing in.
most of the mechs i would sweep out the AC-20 for an AC-10 with a bit more ammo and/or more medium lasers or LRM ammo ..

#8 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

This is like comparing a medium laser to a large laser. One isn't better than the other, they are different. You cannot compare a cantaloupe to a melon. Sure, they are both fruit and one is bigger than the other, but that doesn't make it better.

#9 EvangelionUnit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 776 posts
  • LocationWarframe

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 08 July 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

This is like comparing a medium laser to a large laser. One isn't better than the other, they are different. You cannot compare a cantaloupe to a melon. Sure, they are both fruit and one is bigger than the other, but that doesn't make it better.

yeah, the question is what fits better to your style of gameplay ...

for me its the AC-10, no question

#10 Engineering

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

View PostPat Kell, on 08 July 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Actually if the game follows canon for ammo amounts it's 5 shots per ton. Hence why the OP mentioned ammo as one of the reasons why the AC/10 is better. (AC/10 has 10 shots per ton)

#11 GoaHead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 134 posts
  • LocationMünster (Germany)

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:01 AM

I like the AK20 mor for short range and if i want to fight log range my chice is the Gaus or PPC

#12 Sir Ollie

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

For me. its all about what tool is better suited to the job, its all about the terrain, if its open fields and long range.. wel heck. AC10 ( well really ac5 /2 but thats not what we are comparing.So I did not vote for one over the other, although for only 2 tons weight you do get 2 times the ooomph out of the AC20. So since its just a straight up comparison then I'd side with the 20. The range diff is not huge and ( at least in LL ) I've been able to make shots hit past there "effective" range. ( not sure if they actually do damage though since i have not played it long enough).
Thats my 2 creds worth.

P.S. After writing this i figure i should vote AC 20.

#13 Panthead

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

Different tools for different jobs, besides the ammo count is a non issue unless you waste rounds. I look at ammo as damage/ton not shot/ton. For example if you have a 20% hit rate you still do 20 damage/ton of ammo for both weapons. Even if you don't waste shots the damage is the same/ton.

The advantage to the AC20 (as I see it) is all the damage is on one spot rather then having the chance for it to be split up. Though I've never seen the computer games translate that aspect from the table-top game.

#14 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

Neither. Machine guns for all! Machine gun does 2 damage per round and has 200 rounds per ton. That's 400 damage from a single ton of ammo.

#15 Jim3

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

While that may be true, I like Watermelon and not Cantaloupe. One person may like the lower weight of the AC10, whcih can provide room for an additional med laser, or an extra ton of ammo, while another may like the punch of an AC 20 which gives an autmatic knockdown chance. I think it is a viable comparison.

#16 No Surrender

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

Yeah, it's a bit like asking whether a sniper rifle or shotgun is better in an FPS. They're both good in their own way and making use of both types of weapons in their intended role will yield great results.

That said, I don't think we have enough data to make an informed decision. Factors like rate of fire, projectile drop over distance, projectile speed, map layouts, etc will be more determinative of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the ACs 10 and 20 rather than theory crafting with what we have now.

#17 Future Perfect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

View PostBobfrombobtown, on 08 July 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

Neither. Machine guns for all! Machine gun does 2 damage per round and has 200 rounds per ton. That's 400 damage from a single ton of ammo.

Looks like it needs to get nerfed then, hahahahaha. :(

#18 Myc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPoDunk, IL

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:15 AM

I voted for the AC20. I don't think that it is inherently better, but I rarely use the AC10. In a city or otherwise close quarters map, a pair of AC20's on an assault (or LBX 20s) will put most mechs on their back. On more open maps, I would usually spend that amount of weight on a gauss or a PPC and some heatsinks. I occasionally use the AC2 or AC5, but rarely the AC10. I am sure that it is useful, it just doesn't typically fit my play style.

#19 yeshim

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

I'd rather take a Gauss over either of those TBH, the big AC's just don't do it for me when I see a gauss that is just a few extra tons and a much better alternative in my opinion :(

#20 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

I love all my autocannons the same... :(

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users