The AC-10 is really a better choice than the AC-20?

129 replies to this topic

Poll: The AC-10 is really a better choice than the AC-20? (360 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one is better?

1. AC-10 (184 votes [51.11%])

Percentage of vote: 51.11%

2. AC-20 (176 votes [48.89%])

Percentage of vote: 48.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

View Posttrycksh0t, on 09 July 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

While I can appreciate the sheer firepower of the AC/20, I've never been one for getting up close and personal. AC/10's have the range to provide mid-range DFS, while still being useful if things get close.

Same here, to an extent. I have always just, well, sucked at up-close combat in almost any FPS-style PVP game. I am much better as a sniper or mid-range / support type. Always have been.

Every weapon has its place - there is no "all around best" weapon, at least not when considering Tabletop rules.

#102 Saevus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationRight side of Upside down

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

View PostJim3, on 08 July 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

While that may be true, I like Watermelon and not Cantaloupe. One person may like the lower weight of the AC10, whcih can provide room for an additional med laser, or an extra ton of ammo, while another may like the punch of an AC 20 which gives an autmatic knockdown chance. I think it is a viable comparison.

We aren't playing TT, there is no piloting roll for taking 20 damage in a round. Also, I like strawberries.

#103 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

I wouldn't say it's necessarily better, but I generally tend to prefer the AC/10 in a situation where I really must use an AC.
That's just me, though. Everyone has different preferences; I like to shoot and scoot, others may like to charge into the fray.

#104 Sleeping Bear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGuam

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

Although their usefulness can be classified as situational, the greater range of the AC10 and greater number of shells per ton makes it have a higher application curve then the AC20. In their base configurations, I would chose between the weapons as the situation merits. When you add in advanced weapon systems like LB-X and Ultra systems the situational lines become even more distinct. The shotgun effect of cluster rounds from an LB-X autocannon is one of the best crit-hunters in the game; but nothing can drop a 'mech faster then an Ultra AC20.

At one ton more then the AC20, the Gauss Rifle with it's greater range and higher damage then an AC10 gives it probably the best Big ballistic punch in the game for what you are paying for it.

#105 Chris von Hoff

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

i personly prefer 1 pcc +7 HS instead of a AC10 (and 2 tons of ammo), the AC 20 has its uses.

I'd prefer a Gauss over AC 20 anyday, the problem is the availability at gamestart...?

Edited by Chris von Hoff, 11 July 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#106 4ftershock

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

I've always liked 2 - UAC5s for the same crit space and 4 more tons than the 20s... more range similar damage. :)

#107 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

While the AC-20 might do much more raw damage, (it can destroy some light mechs, like the Commando in one shot) but you do not get much ammo per ton, so a lot of your mech's SPEHSS* and tonnage will be dedicated to that huge gun, not leaving much room for other weapons and armor. It also has a very short range, so you will often find yourself lacking your primary source of firepower when fighting...say...A Catapult.

The AC-10 might only do half of the AC-20's damage, but it is quite long ranged, meaning that you will not be so defenseless against THE MIGHTY CATAPULT. Also, unlike most other long range weapons, the AC-10 has no minimum range, (in the board game, at least.) which means that you can use it to blast the enemy's face off at short range AND long range. Wait, did i forget to mention that the AC-10 lets you hve more ammo per ton?

Simply put:
AC-20
-Enough firepower to compete with a Gauss Rifle
-Short Range
-Easy to run out of ammo.
-Quite heavy.

AC-10
-Firepower that matches a PPC.
-Good range.
-Plenty of ammo per ton.
-Still kinda heavy.

Posted Image

#108 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

AC/20, benefit of the game would be the fact we can aim and really make those fewer shots count...

#109 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

1) Your superior range isn't really an advantage when the enemy can just block LoS until they are 5 feet away. It will be situational. You might be able to get off some shots before they close range anyway... or you might not.
2) More ammo is just a trade off for hitting for less damage per shot.
3) Harder burst with a longer recycle is better for "hit and run" tactics using terrain.

I personally want the AC 20 so that a few well placed headshots will kill a pilot quickly and unexpectedly. You won't be able to say that about an AC 10.

#110 Grajo

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

View PostFuture Perfect, on 08 July 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

The AC-10 has a longer range and ten shells per ton than the five shells per ton for the AC-20.

What do you think?

AC 10 is a ballistic CPP aprox, is nice but people will run in the other direction if they see you charging with an AC 20, which is and will be always funny.

#111 MorbosGotaGun

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostNo Surrender, on 08 July 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

Yeah, it's a bit like asking whether a sniper rifle or shotgun is better in an FPS. They're both good in their own way and making use of both types of weapons in their intended role will yield great results.

That said, I don't think we have enough data to make an informed decision. Factors like rate of fire, projectile drop over distance, projectile speed, map layouts, etc will be more determinative of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the ACs 10 and 20 rather than theory crafting with what we have now.

No it's not, it's like comparing a bolt action sniper rifle to an semi-auto sniper rifle.. same weapon class but slightly different specs. One is a big punch compare to slightly small more rapid punches.
Ac/20 no doubt. I understand the apeal of the ac/10 + one or two more lasers. Think about like this.. would you rather core a mech or take off a limb with 1-2 shots or spend 2 mins running around in a cirlce hoping to hit multiple shots in the same spots for effective fire.

#112 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Wow, way to necro a long dead thread Morbos.

#113 Count Fenring

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

It just took him a little while to come up with a response?

#114 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

No, I say good job, he used the search function.

However, granted how OLD this thread is, the is the one case where maybe he should have created a new thread with newer information, as most posts in this thread were pre-beta speculation or during the NDA where information on how these guns were implemented in MW:O was unavailable.

#115 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Much as a love my AC/10 for skirmishing, nothing says "F U" like a big AC/20 blast in the kisser.

#116 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

I always wondered what the point of the ac 10 is when compared to say... Just about anything else. Fit 2 large lasers with no ammo for the tonnage plus heat sinks...plus no ammo which is more heat sinks... For the same range with no delay.

3 heat is nice, but the trade offs... 7 slots 12 tons + 2 (at least for ammo). AC/20 anit much better but hits like a wrecking ball, and if you're good still does 10 damage near 600m.

On top of that a UAC will do the exact same damage for less heat in the same time for less weight, and more shots per ton. (It jams blah blah clear it with a macro in .1ms) and it's effective is also farther.

IMHO the AC/10 needs some love..or do something the others can't... Perhaps Higher velocity or take down the weight/slots a tad... maybe you can dual fit 10s...be less of a pain in the *** then unjamming 2 UAC5s... But then why not just equip dual guass?

Edited by BlackSquirrel, 13 November 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#117 ArmyOfWon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

AC10 has 15 shots per ton, AC20 has 7.

(I'd take a Gauss, so I didn't vote)

#118 Jace11

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

AC20 has a surprise element. You come up behind a mech, target CT, first shot will kill some lights, mediums and heavies have to react quick or they are dead next shot. Also like to leg lights that are standing around focussing on someone else. Ammo problem is easily solved by carrying more. One shotting lights or head shotting K2s is one of the best things in the game. Stuff your streaks and LRMs...

AC10 is ok I guess, but I don't see the benefit of of lowering my damage output. They both kinda suck in fangs out turning fight with a Jenner, but a good shot from the 20 will alter the situation quicker.

#119 Clay Pigeon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

LB10X is better, because of its critseeking ability.

#120 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

AC/20 is better, because moar damagZ.

31 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users