137 replies to this topic

#1 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:30 AM

Hey all!

You may have just heard about the release of the Warhammer for pre-order.

Some of you might be quite excited, and that's understandable. Unseen are always something to enjoy.

However, this is proving to be a truly slippery slope with PGI.

There are three other 'Mech packs that still haven't fully released yet. (And these are just the pre-order release dates, not even the c-bill or MC releases!)

Resistance 2:
  • Crab: October 6th, 2015
  • Wolfhound: October 20th, 2015
Origins IIC:
  • Orion IIC : December 15th
  • Highlander IIC : December 15th
  • Hunchback IIC : December 15th
  • Jenner IIC : December 15th
Marauder:
  • Marauder (all variants): December 1st 2015
On top of all that un-released content, they pile on:

Warhammer:
  • Warhammer (all variants): January 16th 2016
I might be alone here, but I don't like this. They are dedicating far too much time and effort into 'Mech packs, and far too little into new content.

I've been playing since closed beta, and sadly, with the sole exception of CW (which is currently dead, RIP), we haven't gotten a single new game-mode.

Don't get me wrong, there has been new content, but it's been slow, buggy, or otherwise held-back.

When is Phase III of CW again? Wasn't that supposed to be months ago? Now it's scheduled for around mid 2016? What is this garbage?

What happened to the new assault game-mode?

What happened to the leadership boards?

What happened to PVE content?

What happened to scout missions?

What happened to the steam release?

When are we going to see the "autodetect: NO" screens finally begone? They say they have the tech to do PiP (Picture in picture) now!

When are flamers/MGs/AC-2's going to get a balance pass?

Why not dedicate some of this time to fixing the ammo-switching on LB-X's?

When will ballistics get some help? (200 damage per ton to start, 1.3x damage per pellet on LB-X, etc)

When is this rebalance finally going to get another PTS? When will it finally be released?

The bottom line is that I feel like far too much of PGI's resources are being pushed at 'Mech development and sales.

Don't get me wrong, I like new 'Mechs. I really do. However, when those come at the cost of gameplay, it hits me wrong. I'm aware that there are "teams" who work on different parts of the game, perhaps one for art, one for sound, etc, etc. However, it feels like somehow all of their time is being used up on this god-damn cashgrab.

Had to bold that part earlier. No-one seems to have noticed it. As I said, I'm aware that not every worker in a development team handles all aspects of the game. I'm perfectly aware of that. However, if all of the sound designers are busy making the sounds for the new 'Mechs, if all the UI designers are busy making sure they show up in the store, if every artist is working on 'Mechs, then the end result is the same.

And you know who's fault it is?

Partially PGI's, for taking advantage, but more ours for buying the packs.

I know the grind is real, everyone. I'm aware some of these 'Mechs might be very close to you. However, I think we need to send a message with our wallets that 'Mech packs are NOT number 1 priority, and that gameplay should come first!

Edited by Night Thastus, 02 October 2015 - 04:15 PM.

#2 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:31 AM

This is a double post NT....

Are mechs not content?

Edited by DarthRevis, 02 October 2015 - 06:31 AM.

#3 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:33 AM

Mech development assets are different than level design or UI...
One does not simply tech a mech artist/engineer and throw him or her onto UI.

(Alex draws mechs... that what he does.)

PGI and MWO have many many many faults.. but this is not one of them.

Edited by Livewyr, 02 October 2015 - 06:34 AM.

#4 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:34 AM

Free to play concept and minimum viable product.

It ain't going nowere. Frequency of packs have increased dramatically. Aswell the need to balance with each mech released. They're shooting themselves in the foot each time.

Either it's terrible underpowered, broken or it's just blantantly overquirked.

Edited by Sarlic, 02 October 2015 - 08:36 AM.

#5 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:36 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 02 October 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

Are mechs not content?

Wait, is it? I tried to post, but the forums wouldn't load. Had to try again. Don't see the second one anywhere.

#6 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:37 AM

Are mechs not content?

At some point...no.

They won't change the game much at this point, as we have God Tier robots and a certain selection of weapons that are much better than others.

Weapon balance would interest me far more than more mechs. Game modes? Sure. Leaderboards? Might get me playing more.

But mechs? I've already got 50 I don't use.

Although, I would consider the MAD and WHM part of the same pack, even if they aren't.

#7 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:37 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 02 October 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

Mech development assets are different than level design or UI...
One does not simply tech a mech artist/engineer and throw him or her onto UI.

(Alex draws mechs... that what he does.)

PGI and MWO have many many many faults.. but this is not one of them.

As I said in my post (if you had read it) I'm aware of the dividing of game-development into groups.

But what if all the sound engineers are working on new warhorns for the new 'Mechs, new sounds for their movement, etc?

What if all the artists are held up by making the art for the new 'Mechs?

What if all the UI guys are getting the UI ready to purchase/outfit the 'Mechs?

Etc, etc.

#8 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:38 AM

View PostNight Thastus, on 02 October 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

Wait, is it? I tried to post, but the forums wouldn't load. Had to try again. Don't see the second one anywhere.

lol yea i was just teasing ya!

Sometimes your post will get held up and you will think you didnt get the button. Then your press it again and its double posts...Happens to everyone. No worries bud.

Just edit your other one to say DELETE, DOUBLE POST.

and as far as content goes, we are getting re done level, some immersion in the MW Academy and a chance to play around with some really basic AI. We will see if CW ever gets touched again...i have some doubts.

I mean its slow, but its has been since day one right? I mean we all know PGI moves at the speed of smell and thats ok IMO as long as you KEEP MOVING. Being stagnant is never good in any environment the business world is no different. Not changing is death...but even slow changes seems to keep ya on life support. And there real bread and butter right now is mech packs....for whatever reason they saw grab me deals and impulse buys as the thing to build a business on. If it was a mall kiosk id agree but its not and they DO need something to keep people here longer then 3 weeks until they master their new shineys i agree with you 100% there.

Edited by DarthRevis, 02 October 2015 - 06:50 AM.

#9 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:42 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 02 October 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

Sometimes your post will get held up and you will think you didnt get the button. Then your press it again and its double posts...Happens to everyone. No worries bud.

I honestly can't find the second post anywhere.

#10 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:42 AM

View PostNight Thastus, on 02 October 2015 - 06:30 AM, said:

When will ballistics get some help? (200 damage per ton to start, 1.3x damage per pellet on LB-X, etc)

HEEEELLL NO!! Are you crazy?

Powercreep much?

How about just raise the heat on lasers, duh?

#11 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

Analogy time.

Mechs are little green army men.

The game is a sandbox.

Right now we have one of those little green plastic turtle sandboxes, that is ok, but not really a lot of play space for our army men.

Eventually we are going to have so many army men that we can't really play with them because there is no room in the sandbox.

Some folks might like to collect the army men and never put them in the sandbox, but that will not sustain the whole forever.

#12 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:47 AM

View PostTexAce, on 02 October 2015 - 06:42 AM, said:

HEEEELLL NO!! Are you crazy?

Powercreep much?

How about just raise the heat on lasers, duh?

We wouldn't have to do that if we had a sane heat system:

Doubles = 2.0 dissipation

Ghost heat = gone

Heat cap = 30 (currently 60) heatsinks no longer add to this

A few other small tweaks

#13 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:49 AM

View PostNight Thastus, on 02 October 2015 - 06:42 AM, said:

I think some one already zapped it for ya....i tried to post on the other one and it was all weird and now it gone.

No worries man i was just teasing anyway. :P

#14 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:52 AM

Are mechs not content?

View PostDarthRevis, on 02 October 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

View PostNight Thastus, on 02 October 2015 - 06:42 AM, said:

View PostDarthRevis, on 02 October 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

I think some one already zapped it for ya....i tried to post on the other one and it was all weird and now it gone.

No worries man i was just teasing anyway. :P

Yep, that was me, no worries, I usually spot double posts and delete them without OP having to worry about editing them...

Unless they come in a report :ph34r: (Just kidding! ;) )

#15 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:55 AM

Mech sales are what funds the other parts of development, and the people working on mechs are not the same as those working with gameplay.

If the playerbase would buy less mechs that would make development in other areas slower, not faster.

#16 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:01 AM

Hey all!

You may have just heard about the release of the Warhammer for pre-order.

Some of you might be quite excited, and that's understandable. Unseen are always something to enjoy.

However, this is proving to be a truly slippery slope with PGI.

There are three other 'Mech packs that still haven't fully released yet. (And these are just the pre-order release dates, not even the c-bill or MC releases!)

Resistance 2:
  • Crab: October 6th, 2015
  • Wolfhound: October 20th, 2015
Origins IIC:
  • Orion IIC : December 15th
  • Highlander IIC : December 15th
  • Hunchback IIC : December 15th
  • Jenner IIC : December 15th
Marauder:
  • Marauder (all variants): December 1st 2015
On top of all that un-released content, they pile on:

Warhammer:
  • Warhammer (all variants): January 16th 2016
I might be alone here, but I don't like this. They are dedicating far too much time and effort into 'Mech packs, and far too little into new content.

(Bunch of questions about content edited out)

Two points:
1) You know they have multiple people working different aspects of the game and that the mech people don't work on features right?

2) There's a town hall coming up. I suggest you head over to NGNG's site and spam their forums with your questions. Maybe a few of them will be asked of Russ. Also, there's twitter, where Russ Hangs out, like all day.

#17 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:08 AM

I don't think they are capable of making the game better.

As some people have said, there has been no real content.

Sure new maps can be considered as new content, and they are good additions, the remakes of River city, and Forrest are wonderful.

New mechs well i'm meh about the Mad, though I bought it, in the hopes of the Warhamer, sure some will say they are new content, I'm truly pumped about the WRH, but its not making the game feel any less jaded, its still drop shoot win/lose, die don't die, no map no mech brings anything new to the game.

UI isn't content its attempts and not very good ones to make it usable, 1.5 remains easily the best, why it wasn't just simply recoded and enlarged is beyond me, but it wasn't and it took over a year to make this click fest we have to endure.

CW over a year to produce a map with dots on, it really was a big warning sign that screams the lead designer hasn't a clue, tand the answer to where is the content was more maps..and maps where only 33-50% is really used, not real game inspiring changes..

Now there is Battle tech due in 2017.

All the founders will be playing it, most will be crowd funding, and even if they do stay here, will feel far less inclined to spend out on Moooore Mekz...

PGI are pumping out the new unseen because they have nothing to lose, if harmony gold challenge in court, and PGI win the chances are in 2018 there won't be enough of an income to keep the serves going, and if they lose well the doors might close even earlier, as they have to refund all the money the mad and WRH made, if they can't be used.

The future is 3026 and not 3052.

But I will still buy Unseen until the doors shut

#18 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:10 AM

They're never going to stop selling mechs. It's not a tricky slope. They've been doing it for a good while.

Unlike the initial Clan release they have assets and the HUD already in place. So they're not taking much away from other departments.

Usually they do one feature and a few small things. Plus a mech pack. And maybe a map rework. The real question is how much are they diverting for the big rebalance and will they ever get back to CW? Now that I think about it. They're also working on that Group Queue tonnage change.

Edited by MechaBattler, 02 October 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#19 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:12 AM

far too little into new content.

I've been playing since closed beta, and sadly, with the sole exception of CW (which is currently dead, RIP), we haven't gotten a single new game-mode.

Don't get me wrong, there has been new content, but it's been slow, buggy, or otherwise held-back.

When is Phase III of CW again? Wasn't that supposed to be months ago? Now it's scheduled for around mid 2016? What is this garbage?

seeing as you have been around as long or longer then me none of your whole post should be a surprise, and LOL months ago for CW stuff? try YEARS!!

#20 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:17 AM

This has been a common theme since they started selling mechs, especially once they started selling big "mech packs"

Most everyone understands that PGI needs to make money. Many assume that they are, or until recently were, "hand to mouth" in terms of having to sell these packs.

On the other hand, there are those of us who understand their need to make money, but are continually frustrated and annoyed with the glacial rate of improvement to the actual game itself. Even I admit it's improved since IGP got the boot, but I can't help but wonder what percentage of the money they make on mech sales goes right back into making new "mechs for sale" and what percentage goes into game development.

It's that ratio that many of us question.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users