#121 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:07 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 03 October 2015 - 07:17 PM, said:

Have you ever thought that the player base for MWO is finite? Maybe "soaking" the existing player base is the only way they can make money? Also, I am far from "White Knight #1" I have done my share of criticizing PGI, but in the end, it is PGI that is keeping the game that I play most often (since June of 2012) running, so that means something to me.

And stop being a self-loathing American by calling it "''Merica" like all the Euros do. The Euros are busy becoming a Muslim Caliphate and will not be laughing for too much longer.

No, the player base is not finite, that would imply that there are never any new players playing any new games and surely you know that's hogwash.

As for my "self loathing"........let me tell ya pal, I've worn the uniform or served in the Department of Defense as a Federal civilian for over 20 years, 7 of which was spent in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, so you can take your passive aggressive BS elsewhere because I doubt you come anywhere near me when it comes to service to the country.

#122 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

View PostR Razor, on 04 October 2015 - 06:07 AM, said:

No, the player base is not finite, that would imply that there are never any new players playing any new games and surely you know that's hogwash.

As for my "self loathing"........let me tell ya pal, I've worn the uniform or served in the Department of Defense as a Federal civilian for over 20 years, 7 of which was spent in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, so you can take your passive aggressive BS elsewhere because I doubt you come anywhere near me when it comes to service to the country.

Disregard the real-life things, I drunkenly posted it and fell asleep before I could edit my post. You are correct, although many people in my family have and are serving in the military and have been for generations, I have not served myself. The only thing that I personally do for my country is work and pay taxes. I respect and salute people who have served our country, I just get tired of things that I perceive as bashing the US (edited my previous post for you).

OK, with that out of the way, I will focus on first sentence. Finite, does not mean that there will never be any new players, it just means that eventually everyone who is interested in the game will be playing, or will have played MWO (as there are a finite amount of people on the earth and even less people on the internet and even less people with computers that can run MWO...).

Edited by Ed Steele, 04 October 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#123 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:13 PM

View PostDYSEQTA, on 04 October 2015 - 05:26 AM, said:

But by then they will have sold so many army men they will all be rich. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking that PGI is "doing this for the fans". They are doing it for the fans about as much as Chris Roberts is with SC...

They may indeed be fans of the IP and want to make a game that other fans of the IP would enjoy, but when it all comes down to it, PGI is a business and businesses are created to earn money and stay in business.

Edited by Ed Steele, 04 October 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#124 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 04 October 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

Disregard the real-life things, I drunkenly posted it and fell asleep before I could edit my post. You are correct, although many people in my family have and are serving in the military and have been for generations, I have not served myself. The only thing that I personally do for my country is work and pay taxes. I respect and salute people who have served our country, I just get tired of things that I perceive as bashing the US (edited my previous post for you).

OK, with that out of the way, I will focus on first sentence. Finite, does not mean that there will never be any new players, it just means that eventually everyone who is interested in the game will be playing, or will have played MWO (as there are a finite amount of people on the earth and even less people on the internet and even less people with computers that can run MWO...).

To your first point, fair enough.

To your second point.......while there are in fact a finite amount of people on the planet playing video games, with regards to the topic at hand, there is not a finite amount insofar as new blood is concerned. There will always be new folks coming in as well as existing folks leaving the game, that's just the way it is. Were PGI competent, the former would outnumber the latter. At the end of the day, if PGI concentrated more on delivering a quality product as opposed to cash grab mech packs, the game would be in a better place from both the players perspective as well as the bean counters. I know I'd spend more on the game if it actually delivered more than COD with mech skins. CW is a joke, has been a joke since it was released, and will likely stay a joke, because PGI can't or won't admit they made some mistakes and refuses to listen to a very vocal player base.

If this game fails, the fault of that failure will lie entirely at the feet of PGI. They have had opportunity after opportunity and they have failed to grasp them each time.

#125 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

View PostR Razor, on 04 October 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

To your first point, fair enough.

To your second point.......while there are in fact a finite amount of people on the planet playing video games, with regards to the topic at hand, there is not a finite amount insofar as new blood is concerned. There will always be new folks coming in as well as existing folks leaving the game, that's just the way it is. Were PGI competent, the former would outnumber the latter. At the end of the day, if PGI concentrated more on delivering a quality product as opposed to cash grab mech packs, the game would be in a better place from both the players perspective as well as the bean counters. I know I'd spend more on the game if it actually delivered more than COD with mech skins. CW is a joke, has been a joke since it was released, and will likely stay a joke, because PGI can't or won't admit they made some mistakes and refuses to listen to a very vocal player base.

If this game fails, the fault of that failure will lie entirely at the feet of PGI. They have had opportunity after opportunity and they have failed to grasp them each time.

The fact that the game has survived for as long as it has (I have been playing since June of 2012), tells me that there is at least enough of a core group of players to keep it going. I agree that PGI has failed to meet some of their promised goals on time and have broken some promises all together (3PV), but overall, I think that MWO still has promise. Unfortunately, the reality of an FTP game is that they have to rely on whales who spend big bucks to fund the game, so they will always have to sell expensive mech packs. Now, there are many ways to add true micro transactions to the game, like decals and so forth, but it seems that PGI lack the talent to deliver these things (hence the job openings). It is known that the reason we do not have Clan LBXs that can toggle is because the dev who was working on it moved on to greener pastures, so I am sure that is the case with other promised goals.

#126 Trystan Thorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:00 PM

Ragarding MWO and new blood.

I think the problem there is that MWO simply isn't friendly to newcomers at all (quite the oposite probably).
Trial Mechs are useless (they bareley scratch the paint of our overpimped Mechs).
C-Bills income is low and getting Mechs equipped properly is pricey and a therfore a slow process.

A lot of frustration there for newbs sadly.

In War Thunder: Ground Forces the starter Tanks are quite useful and the fun factor is much higher therfore.
And even War Thunder has a lot of grinding (not as bad as MWO, but close), yet it's more fun for newbs to grind ther as they aren't shot to pieces in buckets of bolts (rusty bolts even). :-)

Making Trial Mechs useful would be the highest priority for new players to join MWO. Increasing C-Bills income would help too.
Fresh blood is important for any multiplayer game.

View PostEd Steele, on 04 October 2015 - 03:58 PM, said:

...Unfortunately, the reality of an FTP game is that they have to rely on whales who spend big bucks to fund the game, so they will always have to sell expensive mech packs...

I can't really agree with that. Sure any F2P game needs income, but PGI has been blessed with a small loyal community that has given them loads of money, far more than other F2P games that achieved more with less.
A well run F2P game doesn't need expensive packs all the time.
PGI is sadly not a well run place (and MWO therfore not well run) and therfore they have to listen to so many complaints as people are starting to lose faith now.
I can see improvements on PGI's side though and I'm hoping they'll be able to turn the ship.

Edited by Trystan Thorne, 04 October 2015 - 04:16 PM.

#127 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

Being stuck in biplanes in War Thunder was and still is the best part of the game. Despite access to Tier IV and V planes, I still regularly keep my deck in the Tier 0, Tier 1 bracket because it continues to be hilarious fun.

#128 Trystan Thorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 04 October 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

Being stuck in biplanes in War Thunder was and still is the best part of the game. Despite access to Tier IV and V planes, I still regularly keep my deck in the Tier 0, Tier 1 bracket because it continues to be hilarious fun.

Agree, those can be really fun.

I'm 100% certain we would have the same here if there was something like and official trial/stock Mech only mode.
I for sure would keep a few of my Mechs in stock mode (or bring them back to stock mode).

#129 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:29 PM

View PostTrystan Thorne, on 04 October 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Ragarding MWO and new blood.

I think the problem there is that MWO simply isn't friendly to newcomers at all (quite the oposite probably).
Trial Mechs are useless (they bareley scratch the paint of our overpimped Mechs).
C-Bills income is low and getting Mechs equipped properly is pricey and a therfore a slow process.

A lot of frustration there for newbs sadly.

In War Thunder: Ground Forces the starter Tanks are quite useful and the fun factor is much higher therfore.
And even War Thunder has a lot of grinding (not as bad as MWO, but close), yet it's more fun for newbs to grind ther as they aren't shot to pieces in buckets of bolts (rusty bolts even). :-)

Making Trial Mechs useful would be the highest priority for new players to join MWO. Increasing C-Bills income would help too.
Fresh blood is important for any multiplayer game.

I can't really agree with that. Sure any F2P game needs income, but PGI has been blessed with a small loyal community that has given them loads of money, far more than other F2P games that achieved more with less.
A well run F2P game doesn't need expensive packs all the time.
PGI is sadly not a well run place (and MWO therfore not well run) and therfore they have to listen to so many complaints as people are starting to lose faith now.
I can see improvements on PGI's side though and I'm hoping they'll be able to turn the ship.

I am one of the "small loyal community", and I have spent far more on this game than any sane person should ever spend on anything that is not necessary. I can also say that MWO is the only game that I have every played almost every night for more than three years!

#130 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:17 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 02 October 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

Mech development assets are different than level design or UI...
One does not simply tech a mech artist/engineer and throw him or her onto UI.

(Alex draws mechs... that what he does.)

PGI and MWO have many many many faults.. but this is not one of them.

I've seen smaller teams do more with less. So yes, this is PGI's fault.

#131 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostRussianWolf, on 05 October 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

I've seen smaller teams do more with less. So yes, this is PGI's fault.

I think that part of PGI's problem is the rate of turnover of their employees (lost some of their best early on).

#132 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:58 AM

I am probably not going to by the warhammer. I have all the other mech packs since wave 2, sans the urban mech. I have 124 mechs now, I have well over 100,000,000 cbills in game, I have mech bays and plenty of MC to buy them. I will probably just wait until it comes out for cbills, besides there is another battletech game that I am interested in giving money to. Hopefully that game will make PGI step up their game.

#133 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostTKSax, on 05 October 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

I am probably not going to by the warhammer. I have all the other mech packs since wave 2, sans the urban mech. I have 124 mechs now, I have well over 100,000,000 cbills in game, I have mech bays and plenty of MC to buy them. I will probably just wait until it comes out for cbills, besides there is another battletech game that I am interested in giving money to. Hopefully that game will make PGI step up their game.

Actually, if all the BATTLETECH fans flock to HBS's BATTLETECH (if it reaches the PVP goal), then all that will be left in MWO will be shooter fans, who would be shaping the future of MWO (which is not what we want to happen).

#134 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 05 October 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Actually, if all the BATTLETECH fans flock to HBS's BATTLETECH (if it reaches the PVP goal), then all that will be left in MWO will be shooter fans, who would be shaping the future of MWO (which is not what we want to happen).

I'm hoping the opposite happens actually. PGI will realize the ones that are willing to spend the cash are wanting more substance, less Call of Duty and come around.

#135 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostRonyn, on 05 October 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

I'm hoping the opposite happens actually. PGI will realize the ones that are willing to spend the cash are wanting more substance, less Call of Duty and come around.

I think we were all hoping that when the whole backtracking on the "no 3PV" debate was going on and we see where that ended up.

#136 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 05 October 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Frankly, I don't care. PGI and MWO can go to where the sun doesn't shine. The best thing that could happen to the license is that HBS's game gets highly successful while MWO goes down the drain. That would show the industry that yes, you can make a profitable BT game while staying true to the lore, keeping your promises and not treating your customers like idiots.

#137 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

It's not just a matter of dedicating all their worker's time to new mechs. If the money from new mechs just gets funneled into the art department then all we get is new mechs. They need to take that money and put it towards actually giving us the game we've been waiting for for 3 years

#138 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

View PostFate 6, on 05 October 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

It's not just a matter of dedicating all their worker's time to new mechs. If the money from new mechs just gets funneled into the art department then all we get is new mechs. They need to take that money and put it towards actually giving us the game we've been waiting for for 3 years

Just face it, MWO is an arena shooter with a minimal effort at CW slapped on.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users