#81 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 05 October 2015 - 02:49 AM, said:

It kinda strikes me how you can speak against 'toxic' people and use such phrases at the same time, actually offensive to large groups of people.

edit: grammar

1. You assumed I did not include myself in the toxic community when plainly, I am a toxic bittervet.

2. It does not change the fact my advice is sound and is something I strive very hard to achive myself.

3. It does not change the fact that although I may or may not from time to time be a troll or exhibit such activity that I don't at some point recognize it is wrong, OR try to change my character.

4. None of this invalidates my right to voice my opinion on a public forum any more than it invalidates yours.

I do not wallow in my own crapulance, but I do fall into the mire from time to time.

#82 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:53 PM

Sadly, the community here can be very, very caustic; especially in-game. PGI has enabled a "Block All-Chat" feature, but that doesn't really help since most of the hate is from your teammates.

Best thing I can recommend is this: Join a Unit. You'll have buddies who'll have your back and won't criticize. Also, my experience has been that groups generally aren't as caustic as the PUG life.

You can check out Faction, Clan, and Merc Units over in the CW Thread.

...Or you can just click on my sig and fill out an app for my Unit on our website. ;)

Best of luck in whatever you choose!

#83 Jugger Grimrod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 263 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAddicks, Fed Suns

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

For what it's worth, I advise pilots new to my Unit with this single piece of advice...

"...always assume that someone is LIVE streaming, or recording, the fight."

If a pilot wants to "go off" on teammates in a drop over In-Game Comms, just remember that their reputation as a Class-A Butt-Nugget will be enshrined for eternity on some other pilot's Twitch or YouTube account! Some players' Units, like mine, boot Pilots out for repeated behavior like this. We try our best to police our own... sometimes we miss a few, but we are trying.

Videos can be submitted to MWO Admins, and back to Unit Officers, for any punishment felt warranted by the act in question.

Edited by Jugger Grimrod, 05 October 2015 - 03:19 PM.

#84 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:42 PM

View PostJugger Grimrod, on 05 October 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

For what it's worth, I advise pilots new to my Unit with this single piece of advice...

"...always assume that someone is LIVE streaming, or recording, the fight."

If a pilot wants to "go off" on teammates in a drop over In-Game Comms, just remember that their reputation as a Class-A Butt-Nugget will be enshrined for eternity on some other pilot's Twitch or YouTube account! Some players' Units, like mine, boot Pilots out for repeated behavior like this. We try our best to police our own... sometimes we miss a few, but we are trying.

Videos can be submitted to MWO Admins, and back to Unit Officers, for any punishment felt warranted by the act in question.

Since you see a lot less of this in group queue anyhow, that might be the way to go.

#85 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:28 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 05 October 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

1. You assumed I did not include myself in the toxic community when plainly, I am a toxic bittervet.
2. It does not change the fact my advice is sound and is something I strive very hard to achive myself.
3. It does not change the fact that although I may or may not from time to time be a troll or exhibit such activity that I don't at some point recognize it is wrong, OR try to change my character.
4. None of this invalidates my right to voice my opinion on a public forum any more than it invalidates yours.
I do not wallow in my own crapulance, but I do fall into the mire from time to time.

Yep, you sounded like you consider yourself above 'those bad toxic people', while acting quite like them. You don't, so we're cool. I'm no angel myself and never claimed to be one. I just met too many hypocrites lately so I'm kinda sensitive to that. I'm glad you're not one of them :)
And sorry if you felt I tried to invalidate your opinion. I just had doubts if it was sincere. Now I don't so I take it all back.

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 05 October 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

"Could you elaborate on how do you perceive commenting people like that is better than telling them they suck?"
Sure, right after you explain why you thought the OPs remarks were directed specifically at you.

Just explained my reasons to Kjudoon. Case closed. As you can see people can resolve such issues in a civilised manner, without accusing people of trolling, being oversensitive, needing medical help or believing they are not as smart as they think they are. We could have had a decent conversation too, but you've chosen to use argumenta at personam and refused to refer to any of my points.

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 05 October 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

Please go troll somewhere else. You are not as smart as you think you are.

Aw man, you are really quick to judge people as you like. I don't think you know what my nickname refers to...
So behold :) :
Spoiler

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 06 October 2015 - 12:33 AM.

#86 Evil Ash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 182 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:12 AM

Pug dropping has gotten considerably more toxic since the territorial event, it probably has to do with the players being able to see their tiers that gets their dongers soaked to the point where they think they're hot crap.

Pug dropping has gotten considerably more toxic since the territorial event, it probably has to do with the players being able to see their tiers that gets their dongers soaked to the point where they think they're hot crap.

#87 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostEvil Ash, on 06 October 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

Hopefully that will die down a bit once people realize that the tier they happen to be in doesn't necessarily reflect their actual ability. Then again, there will always be those people that base their entire opinion of themselves on others' opinions of them, so...you just have to ignore them.

#88 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

Ever hear of "Boncher's Maxim or Corollary" Gumby? You'll like it then.

Maxim: "Everybody's a hypocrite. After that, it's only a question of subject and scale."
Corollary: "Show me a person who says they aren't a hypocrite, and I will show you a liar."

Everyone's a hypocrite about something. The question is only one of how big of one they are, and how many subjects they are hypocritical about.

This is also known as the human condition. The best we can do is try to minimize both subjects and scales.

#89 DirtyDrifter

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRust Belt

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

If you want to see a toxic player base try a round of WOT.

#90 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 06 October 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

Ever hear of "Boncher's Maxim or Corollary" Gumby? You'll like it then.
Maxim: "Everybody's a hypocrite. After that, it's only a question of subject and scale."
Corollary: "Show me a person who says they aren't a hypocrite, and I will show you a liar."
Everyone's a hypocrite about something. The question is only one of how big of one they are, and how many subjects they are hypocritical about.
This is also known as the human condition. The best we can do is try to minimize both subjects and scales.

In a way it is true, but by that logic everybody is also a liar, a sadist, a psycho, a weirdo, a cheater, a manipulator etc. etc. Hell, by generalising exceptions in behaviour, we can call all people heroes and philanthopes too. Everybody did something good in their life at least once or twice.
But then why do we even have such terms and differentiate them? We could just use 'human' instead. "I am human, and nothing of that which is human is alien to me." Would that be more constructive or honest? Everybody contains at least a trace of every bad and good thing that can be associated with humanity.

IMHO, if you realise that you're not perfect and are willing to try to evaluate yourself, reconsider if what you say is coherent with what you do, whether on your own initiative or after being called out, you're not a hypocrite in my book. That's it. I am a simple person. :)

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 06 October 2015 - 03:32 PM.

#91 Winston McCrutchley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:19 PM

The community as a whole is still pretty solid. As for sucking, I've been back for over 200 matches, and I went 0/10 K/D/R and 2-8 W/L tonight.

Sometimes, you just suck. Don't let it keep you from trying again, having fun, and getting better.

Keep at it, and don't let the trolls get you down!

*edit to make my sentence actually make sense*

Edited by Winston McCrutchley, 07 October 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#92 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:18 AM

You can mute individual players in the ingame VOIP. Hit tab to show the player list and then click the speaker icon. I don't know if that muting persists between matches.

As others have said, using the "Knight Errant" title will mark you as new in most people's eyes. Or better yet, "Cadet."

Sorry that the people were hating on you so hard. The way some people can be gets very frustrating at times. There are some cool people here, though. This is not really a toxic community. If you find the right guys to group with you can mostly play with them; this will reduce grief somewhat, hopefully.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users