First Caustic Game Impression.

162 replies to this topic

#41 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

There's a reason why the assault queue is so low right now what with this new map being on high rotation. 3 matches out of every 4 the assault lance gets left for dead by their teamates.

The people at PGI should at least make sure the assault lance always spawns in the middle of the formation, so they can at least have some support from the heavy .. or watch the Light lance ignore them and speed away.
That's not really a problem with the map itself...it's beautifull but I'm really getting close to legging my own teamates so I won't be left behind and killed for nothing.

#42 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:59 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 06 October 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

Nothing will get rid of hill humping except for the entire removal of hills.

I know, it's so sad. People actually have the audacity to use cover in a shooting game!!

They could slow mechs down and stop letting them decelerate and accelerate on a dime so that if you poked.... you actually stood a chance of an assault being able to shoot back.

But yeah, then you'd have to think and plan before showing yourself...

and who wants a thinking persons shooter, am I right?

#43 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:15 PM

I really like the visual aspects and overhaul of the map, its an improvement no doubt and looks much better.

But..

I really hate all the extra rocky props and garbage spewed all over the rim of the Caldera.
Things need to be smoothed out & start removing some of those stone formations.

Its just too cluttered feeling, and you can't get over half of it without JJ's.

#44 NKAc Street

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 261 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:20 PM

Frame rate is horrible on this map and it is smooth on every other map. Right now it is unplayable for me.

#45 Goombah

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

Staying as a group is better than stringing out
-if your team leaves you behind that's not PGI's fault, your team sucks

Staying mobile and playing aggressively is better than camping in one spot and getting tore up.
-if your team doesn't do that, your team sucks. That's not PGI's fault

PGI ***** up loads of stuff, see: hardpoint locations, number of hardpoints on a given mech, SRM hit detection, LRM firing mechanics, modules, 12v12 meta vs competativeness of lighter mechs, lack of engaging game modes, stale one dimensional gameplay, "quirks" "skill 'trees'"

But its certainly not their fault your team is filled with eight year olds and cats using steering wheels.

#46 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostGoombah, on 06 October 2015 - 07:45 PM, said:

lack of engaging game modes

good luck when people call mobile combat 'nascaring' and complain of 'hill humping'

#47 Goombah

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:01 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 06 October 2015 - 07:51 PM, said:

good luck when people call mobile combat 'nascaring' and complain of 'hill humping'

Too true. I know I for one can't stand it when my team moves, or when my effectively use cover to prevent return fire damage, in an intelligent manner. Hate that ****!

#48 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:03 PM

View PostGoombah, on 06 October 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

Too true. I know I for one can't stand it when my team moves, or when my effectively use cover to prevent return fire damage, in an intelligent manner. Hate that ****!

I can't help but wonder if this mentality was bred from the original board game where it was feasible to just stand still out in the open, because the dice always had a pretty good chance of ensuring a lot of return fire was going to miss.

#49 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

Went into TG with it and first thing I noticed...so much ***** FOG!!!!

What is with this game and not wanting us to be able to see stuff!?

THat is like my main issue in this game, the colors and fog, or darkness and everything being pixelly at range....

Its hard to differentiate targets in this game. Map like Forest Colony?! Mechs blend in perfectly with the background, only thing to see is the red box and fire dead center into the box.....

#50 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 06 October 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

Went into TG with it and first thing I noticed...so much ***** FOG!!!!

What is with this game and not wanting us to be able to see stuff!?

THat is like my main issue in this game, the colors and fog, or darkness and everything being pixelly at range....

Its hard to differentiate targets in this game. Map like Forest Colony?! Mechs blend in perfectly with the background, only thing to see is the red box and fire dead center into the box.....

To be fair, not being able to see jack diddly most of the time has been my own personal experience in real life combat, be it training or actually getting shot at.

That said, I will concede that what's "realistic" doesn't always equate to what's "fun" in a video game, especially in a game about big stompy robots.

If nothing else, though, you can take comfort in the fact that if you're struggling to see your opponent, they're having just as much trouble seeing you though all the fog, vegetation, and lack of light.

Edited by Signal27, 06 October 2015 - 08:50 PM.

#51 Tuis Ryche

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:52 PM

If PGI is going to make every map look like my monitor vomited, at least make it a cold map so I can turn on heat vision and relax in soothing greyscale.

Edited by Tuis Ryche, 06 October 2015 - 08:56 PM.

#52 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:54 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 06 October 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

Had 1 match so far and liked it - looks like the Hell it should be.

Nascar is Mobile Warfare at least....Mechs are made for Mobile Warfare.....Vroooom...Vrooommmm.... :D

agree. prefer nascar over sit around do nothing any day. if you are an assault and get stuck at the ass end of the train, consider going into lance chat and form a mini deathball. find cover and duke it out until the other 2 lances complete the first lap.

#53 V O L T R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 318 posts
  • LocationThe Flat and Motionless Earth

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:01 PM

There was nothing wrong with the old caustic except the spawn points ...

#54 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:10 PM

View PostPaigan, on 06 October 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

OMG I just HAVE to rent:

Caustic again.
People start nascaring as usual.
I write in team chat I won't nascar anymore but stay where I was (nice position for a long range WHK).
Then one guy starts "OMG why isn't our WHK moving".
They got stomped 12-1.
I died as one of the last and did almost as much damage as the best in the team.
And then of course it was the stationary WHK's fault that all of them got stomped.

Idiots.

Next game: Forest Colony. Thank god not the nascar map.
3 minutes into the game: people start nascaring away from us assaults as fast as possible DESPITE reporting being flanked.

Obviously only idiots online at the moment.

Puglandia, Paigan.

Get a team, or drop in group along with 5-6 friends in ts.
My liver and stomach had relief by doing so.

#55 Goombah

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:20 PM

View PostSignal27, on 06 October 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

I can't help but wonder if this mentality was bred from the original board game where it was feasible to just stand still out in the open, because the dice always had a pretty good chance of ensuring a lot of return fire was going to miss.

It was bread from sarcasm. I enjoy when my team both moves, and also effectively utilizes cover.
Moving from one cover point to the next, attacking as a group, focus fire.

View PostV O L T R O N, on 06 October 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

There was nothing wrong with the old caustic except the spawn points ...

Everything was wrong with Caustic.

To it's credit, there wasn't rubble and small shrubberies to get stuck on every five seconds like in the Bog map.
Unless you spawn on the side of the map with those god awful pipes.

#56 Scar Glamour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:21 PM

New caustic makes my eyes bleed. It's like Mordor on acid. Not to mention that I am positive I have seen those no-fuel-source blue flame effects among Warcraft 3 assets. I am not sure what they are supposed to represent, but right now they look like social ads about the dangers of substance abuse.

#57 V O L T R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 318 posts
  • LocationThe Flat and Motionless Earth

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:22 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 06 October 2015 - 10:10 PM, said:

Puglandia, Paigan.

Get a team, or drop in group along with 5-6 friends in ts.
My liver and stomach had relief by doing so.

Well the pug drops on this map are terrible. I can see where you wont nascar, but in pugs if people dont work together or game plan the only way to stay together is nascar. So much **** in the way thou, low visibility.

If they redo all the maps like this im going to have to quit. I dont like the low fps and I dont like the visiblity. Messes my game up bad.

#58 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:31 PM

View PostV O L T R O N, on 06 October 2015 - 10:22 PM, said:

Well the pug drops on this map are terrible. I can see where you wont nascar, but in pugs if people dont work together or game plan the only way to stay together is nascar. So much **** in the way thou, low visibility.

If they redo all the maps like this im going to have to quit. I dont like the low fps and I dont like the visiblity. Messes my game up bad.

Yep, agree.
That's why I prefer dropping in group; even a small group is better than solo dropping.
In ts it is possible to plan something other than nascar.

Totally agree about maps. It seems to me they want to do "impressive" map, about the visual, but not about funcionality.
I care more about aiming, not about "viewing a beautiful smoking area", and PGI should know this and how their own game works.
In fact my fav map is Canyon, where I can see.

#59 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:33 PM

View PostGoombah, on 06 October 2015 - 10:20 PM, said:

It was bread from sarcasm. I enjoy when my team both moves, and also effectively utilizes cover.
Moving from one cover point to the next, attacking as a group, focus fire.

Oh, I know you were being sarcastic. :) Unfortunately, there are far too many people who would have said the same thing you did without a trace of irony.

#60 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:33 PM

complaining about nascar and saying ur loosing because of stupid mapdesign....

well since the other team dropped on the exactly same map with assaults, heavys, mediums and lights like ur team did...

ill guess it was ur and ur teams fault that you got roflestomped.

adapt or die !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users