AS7-RS 4xLL Gauss

What do you guys think?

#3 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:18 PM

I tried the same thing, but with 3x ERLL and some minor tweaks.
(You get ghost heat if you fire more than 3 at a time)

It's complete garbage. You're slow as **** (even with the biggest engine) which makes poking near-impossible, and you do VERY little damage for your class. If you are a heavy, that'd be decent. Not on an assault. Certainly not on an Atlas. Especially with the low-ass arm mounts.

At close range, even though the lasers are arm-mounted, I found myself defenseless.

Don't do it man. Don't torture yourself. There are better ways.

#4 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:06 PM

LOL, I used to love this build. The key was to shoot everybody in the cockpit or at least the CT. But then Gauss charging and ghost heat happened. Was looking into this again because I noticed the quirks. Does the extra laser cool down not counter the ghost heat?

Well, but you are right man, compared to the other assaults the damage is now pretty sad. And you add the fact that everybody will be shooting your RT..... :(

Still, so nostalgic. <3 <3 <3

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 06 October 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#5 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:47 AM

the 350 won't give you that much benefit.

AS7-RS

Ghost heat should not be a huge problem - only 8.4 points more heat.....when you trigger left and right arm on different weapon groups you should even be able to avoid ghost heat with timing.
The Gauss isn't really a problem - some hundred shots and you don't even need green lights. If you trigger the gauss with a laser salvo you can aim for the gauss using the damage indicator by the lasers - when the beam is finsihed release the trigger of the gauss and fire the other both large lasers

a BAP?
For more sensor range and disabling the ECM of nearby lights - always a good idea.
Even on a brawler the BAP makes sense - you don't know how simple it is to shoot a ECM carrier (Hellbringer, CTF, DDC) that got "missile warnings"

#6 purplewasabi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 07 October 2015 - 01:47 AM, said:

the 350 won't give you that much benefit.

AS7-RS

Ghost heat should not be a huge problem - only 8.4 points more heat.....when you trigger left and right arm on different weapon groups you should even be able to avoid ghost heat with timing.
The Gauss isn't really a problem - some hundred shots and you don't even need green lights. If you trigger the gauss with a laser salvo you can aim for the gauss using the damage indicator by the lasers - when the beam is finsihed release the trigger of the gauss and fire the other both large lasers

a BAP?
For more sensor range and disabling the ECM of nearby lights - always a good idea.
Even on a brawler the BAP makes sense - you don't know how simple it is to shoot a ECM carrier (Hellbringer, CTF, DDC) that got "missile warnings"

I agree with Karl, and I also use something similar. You don't really need the std350 since you are extending your range of engagement. I never thought of using a BAP, might try it out. I use a 335, so changing to a 325 shouldn't be an issue. Think Direwolves when it comes to playstyle, similar in speed but higher mounted hardpoints (obvious lacking in firepower compared to the DW). I also use the same technique in weapon groupings and firing. Something like this.
1. Left LLs + Gauss
2. Right LLs + Gauss
3. Gauss
4. All LL chained

I disagree that its "garbage", more like....difficult. Facts and figures are only part of the game, there is also the pilot. I use this mech when I'm tired of brawling in my DDC or S variants, I just want to hang back especially in the solo queue where everybody is playing the long range laser game. Most often I die because the entire team just left us assaults behind, and we get swarmed by lights and mediums. Not even with the best mechs will you be able to survive something like that. The mech is not at fault. Its a risk you take when piloting slow moving assaults.

Its still viable. Was running the RS just last night in the solo queue. Just hang back accompanying those sniper Direwolfs, and LRM Warhawks(?), when did they became a thing? Basically shoot at what they shoot. A long range support-type role. Anyway, this is my variation. Not much different to Karl's. Have fun!
AS7-RS

Edited by purplewasabi, 12 October 2015 - 03:33 PM.

#7 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

Quite workable. I've done a build guide on it. The only changes I'd make on it now is to shift more armor up front, like about 7/7/7 and rest up front. Then swap the AMS for CASE on the RT.

Despite not having clan level firepower, I think for today's solo queue meta it's still a tad better than a brawling Atlas that sits around useless for half the match.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7565fd32c4ce4f8

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 12 October 2015 - 03:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users