115 replies to this topic

#61 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

as many posters said

Graphics downgrade try sell the game to the poor or console gamers. It was a short term money grab like almost every dev decision as it made the game much uglier and it did not capture any long term players.

TTK was much longer as many of the broken gameplay mechanics was not introduced then ie anything related to the Clans from Double heatsinks, pulse lasers, quirks to try balance the broken Clan tech etc etc etc. Basically Clan tech killed the game in TT and also did the same in MW:O

There was also slightly less boating at that point.

#62 Setun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 172 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

View PostMerit Lef, on 06 October 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

Is it just me or does it seem like TTK was real long in the video?

That would be because there were only single heat sinks in the game at that time, so firing everything wasn't the way to go.

#63 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM

Overall I feel the game is in better shape than it was. Let's not get too carried away here. With that said, I actually liked forest colony better before they added the fog. You could see clear across the map and count the glowing red eyes from your starting position.

Graphically the game has been downgraded, mainly centering around the mechs. That is one (perhaps of many) points of contention I have with this game.

I think what I was most impressed with was the rate at which the game was progressing. It all seemed to stop once they went "live".

Random thought: Pillars, I remember people talking about pillars. A certain forumite used to talk about community being one of those pillars. Gameplay, Mechs, etc etc Community.

#64 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:39 PM

I shouldn't have opened this topic.

It reminds me of when the game was going in a good direction...before it went sideways.

#65 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:11 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 07 October 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

I shouldn't have opened this topic.

It reminds me of when the game was going in a good direction...before it went sideways.

Hence the reason it has bled out so many players. I would LOVE for PGI to post the number of Active Players in Closed Beta compared to now.

Remember the Player Counter that used to be in the game?

PGI has just made one bad decision after another in this game. Now granted there have been a couple of good ones, but they are few and far between and severely out shinned by the bad ones.

#66 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 07 October 2015 - 04:47 AM, said:

I'd be fine with that.
(especially if clanners have to spend much more cash to keep their filthy mechs running)

Umm, that was a joke. All that would happen is people would load a little extra ammo and not pay to top off and use the default reload of 75% or whatever it was. LOL So yea "filthy clan mechs" wouldn't take anything more. Also, you do realize, that Clan mechs would be cheaper to repair due to omni construction, right? ;)

#67 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:01 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 07 October 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

Hence the reason it has bled out so many players. I would LOVE for PGI to post the number of Active Players in Closed Beta compared to now.

The role of honour is long.... a lot of guys had passed out in the years and months after Closed Beta.
Maybe some are still in hibernation waiting for the game hit the jackpot with CW3?

I can play MWO on a irregular basis and every game is thrilling because I lack practice. I'm sure the moment I can work more reliable - I will loose interest again.

I really want that stock button - heck i would even buy me a new DRG-1N just because it rocks. This was the main difference in CB - (without DHS and ES) the difference between a trial and a full modified mech was not as huge. so you could buy a Mech and hit right away the drop button - today you get a Mech injected but if you don't have those necessary 1.5mio Cbills you shouldn't even think about hitting the "Play" button

View PostMadcap72, on 07 October 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

Umm, that was a joke. All that would happen is people would load a little extra ammo and not pay to top off and use the default reload of 75% or whatever it was. LOL So yea "filthy clan mechs" wouldn't take anything more. Also, you do realize, that Clan mechs would be cheaper to repair due to omni construction, right? ;)

There are other ways - the most simple would have been instead of 75% for nothing - all prices divided by 4.
Considering repair costs - invent a 4th currency - CVs - those CVs can not be earned (only by generic salvage) - the number of CVs a player get is fixed.
When your CVs are not enough to repair this Mech you have to drop with another but it is not repaired before other Mechs are repaired.
Well this sound like a feature suggestion - will post there:
http://mwomercs.com/...h-currency-cvp/

Edited by Karl Streiger, 08 October 2015 - 01:56 AM.

#68 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:53 AM

Bring back the biff.

TTK is absolute BS these days.

#69 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:33 AM

grumblers like me cant get enough of this.

Yes. the game looked AND played better in closed beta.

**** your accusations of nostalgia bias. Ill take even worse hit-reg if that means long TTK and inverse kinematics.

Not to mention collisions...

ahh the good old days

#70 Asseri

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 55 posts
  • LocationFInland

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:37 AM

View PostMerit Lef, on 06 October 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

Is it just me or does it seem like TTK was real long in the video?

A bit late answer, but in CB the TTK was a lot longer because we didn't have Endo Steel, Ferro Fibrous armour and Double Heatsinks yet.

This meant that mechs had to use more tonnage for standard heatsinks, and they weren't as heat efficient which made fire rate a lot slower and often you couldn't boat weapons to same degree as you can now.

So basically, we had a lot less tonnage to play around with and a lot less heat efficient mechs.

Edit: I should add that the hit registeration was also really awful so singling out a component from moving twisting mech was downright impossible

Edited by Asseri, 08 October 2015 - 02:58 AM.

#71 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:47 AM

God, watching this really hurts me.....

#72 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:16 AM

This video almost makes me want to take up my Stock Mech Mode banner again.

The game is technically better today, though visually less. The gameplay was so much better back then, but... well, no. I can't really think of anything gameplay-related these days that trumps CB.

#73 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:28 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 08 October 2015 - 04:16 AM, said:

This video almost makes me want to take up my Stock Mech Mode banner again.

The game is technically better today, though visually less. The gameplay was so much better back then, but... well, no. I can't really think of anything gameplay-related these days that trumps CB.

I want to start a 3025 league. Customization allowed, but no tech from past 3025, or tech considered lostech in 3025.

#74 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:36 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 08 October 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

I want to start a 3025 league. Customization allowed, but no tech from past 3025, or tech considered lostech in 3025.

Quirks still hurt the tier-one tech. It pretty much killed Stock Mech Monday. But the idea still sounds great to me.

#75 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationI pay more to use less water. Cali.

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:36 AM

It is really frustrating when devs cater to people that should just put down the mouse and go play console. You have no right to come into a cryengine game and whine about bad performance with your ****** peasant PC, that you overzealous wife won't let you upgrade because you are beta as a carrot.

#76 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:38 AM

View PostTwentyOne, on 08 October 2015 - 04:36 AM, said:

It is really frustrating when devs cater to people that should just put down the mouse and go play console. You have no right to come into a cryengine game and whine about bad performance with your ****** peasant PC, that you overzealous wife won't let you upgrade because you are beta as a carrot.

It's not just that. It's the business model PGI/IGP chose. Truth is, the CryEngine is probably a poor decision for a free-to-play title, as it is a heavier-footprint engine. Something like Unity or Unreal is ideal, because those things run on absolutely everything yet can still look amazing. When you write a free-to-play game, you want everyone playing it. Which means establishing as low a baseline as you possibly can.

Why this game went CryEngine at the onset baffles me to this day.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Rhaythe, 08 October 2015 - 04:39 AM.

#77 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:03 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 08 October 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

Why this game went CryEngine at the onset baffles me to this day.

I think they went for it, because it was free... I think.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 08 October 2015 - 05:03 AM.

#78 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:06 AM

people are deluded to think it was all better before;

i only will remind you all, that prior to 2013 the shadows on each of the mechs did not project even in the same direction as the shadows in the maps. so you would see fake shadows from mechs floating away from the shadow the mountain was casting; LOL?

sure, some things were made worse; but you can't tell me everything was better before, i'll mention a second thing; the color was way worse back then, the game looked as vibrant as chernobyl

#79 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:16 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 08 October 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

people are deluded to think it was all better before;

i only will remind you all, that prior to 2013 the shadows on each of the mechs did not project even in the same direction as the shadows in the maps. so you would see fake shadows from mechs floating away from the shadow the mountain was casting; LOL?

sure, some things were made worse; but you can't tell me everything was better before, i'll mention a second thing; the color was way worse back then, the game looked as vibrant as chernobyl

no one is saying everything was better. But clearly a lot of stuff, that makes you feel and say "Hey this LOOKS much better" is now gone.

#80 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:18 AM

View PostTwentyOne, on 08 October 2015 - 04:36 AM, said:

you are beta as a carrot.

While I totally agree with you about everything...

The "alpha male" concept is a myth.

It started as a research project by a man interested in why male wolves fought over food....

But he only watched one "pack" of wolves.... in captivity..

In reality the "alpha" is the father...and they just step in to make sure the one **** brother doesn't eat all the food before the other kids have a chance to eat.

The researcher has gone on record many times trying to undo the damage to society everyone latching onto the "alpha male" philosophy has caused....

Turns out all the "alphas" of the world are just the @sshole douche bags we all thought after all.

http://www.wolf.org/...tus_english.pdf

Edited by The Atlas Overlord, 08 October 2015 - 05:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users