Sabot...up?

15 replies to this topic

#1 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

I was testing out the MW2 sound mod after i reinstalled it since its been kinda buggy (missile lock sound doesnt work, warhorns quit working) and derped around in testing grounds to see if they where fixed....i was using my gauss whale and noticed something Ive never really seen before...

Gauss shots leave thier sabots behind....WHEN WAS THIS ADDED? HAS THIS ALWAYS BEEN THERE? I love little eye candy tidbits and details like this.

Ive never even noticed them despite the millions and millions of gauss rounds ive fired while playing this game...have they always been there? Its a very nice asthetic touch, be really cool if they added smoke trails to cannon tracers or empty shells (optional of course) I really like what i saw....

#2 MrEdweird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

You mean mid-flight?
Gauss used to throw a bunch of broken glass looking material out the "barrel" and has a missile-like projectile model but I haven't seen anything drop off...

That doesn't make much sense, it's a magnetically accelerated piece of solid metal, what does it need a sabot or any kind of external housing for?

#3 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

View PostEdweird, on 09 October 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

You mean mid-flight?
Gauss used to throw a bunch of broken glass looking material out the "barrel" and has a missile-like projectile model but I haven't seen anything drop off...

That doesn't make much sense, it's a magnetically accelerated piece of solid metal, what does it need a sabot or any kind of external housing for?

no it has a discarding sabot on them, they leave the round when they leave the barrel...its basically a big APFSDS cannon that runs on electricity.....and explodes...too much...(argument for another thread)

#4 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 09 October 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

no it has a discarding sabot on them, they leave the round when they leave the barrel...its basically a big APFSDS cannon that runs on electricity.....and explodes...too much...(argument for another thread)

yes it sheds 4 leaves of a sabot casing in the first 3 seconds

#5 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

You mean mid-flight?

The sabot encases the projectile and is what is actually magnetically accelerated.

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,373 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:10 AM

You mean mid-flight?

Bcs the Gauss-Plrojectile is a metallic Dart that does not fit into the Gauss-Barrel without...

#7 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 09 October 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

Bcs the Gauss-Plrojectile is a metallic Dart that does not fit into the Gauss-Barrel without...

... another FPS hit.

There; completed your thought.

Edited by Aphoticus, 09 October 2015 - 11:25 AM.

#8 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

yes i think they haven't always been there; it must be in the past 6-8 months that they added this?
cause i only noticed fairly recently

View PostAphoticus, on 09 October 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

... another FPS hit.

There; completed your thought.

really? that's a fps hit? hard to think of it this way when there is hundreds of trees to knock down on forest colony and even balls of hay that you can kick around

#9 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:29 AM

Yea, well, they all contribute.

#10 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:31 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 09 October 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

I was testing out the MW2 sound mod after i reinstalled it since its been kinda buggy (missile lock sound doesnt work, warhorns quit working) and derped around in testing grounds to see if they where fixed....i was using my gauss whale and noticed something Ive never really seen before...

Gauss shots leave thier sabots behind....WHEN WAS THIS ADDED? HAS THIS ALWAYS BEEN THERE? I love little eye candy tidbits and details like this.

Ive never even noticed them despite the millions and millions of gauss rounds ive fired while playing this game...have they always been there? Its a very nice asthetic touch, be really cool if they added smoke trails to cannon tracers or empty shells (optional of course) I really like what i saw....

Yeah, it got buggy for me too. I uninstalled.

#11 Duke ramulots

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:33 AM

You mean mid-flight?

I needs one because the projectile is not held by the magnets until the gun is ready to fire and sinse there's nothing holding it, it would fall without one.

#12 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:47 PM

Because PGI was lazy and used the APFSDS model that comes with CryEngine instead of creating a unique slug true to lore.

#13 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

Why is it people insist on breaking the TOS? Its not ur software

#14 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

View PostCoolant, on 09 October 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Why is it people insist on breaking the TOS? Its not ur software

:mellow:

wot?

#15 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 09 October 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

It's been there since at least the debut of the "Heavy Metal" Hero Highlander, and has likely been part of it since the implementation of the Gauss Rifle in MWO.

In fact, Kaylos Trex managed to get a view of the MWO Gauss Rifle projectile from the preview video, and posted it in this thread on the NGNG forum.
Posted Image

Note, in my own reply to Kaylos' post, that what is being fired is the entire APFSDS cartridge, including the shell casing (the large cylindrical part at the back, which contains the propellant charge used for firing the round). :rolleyes:
Posted Image

That being said, every canonical description of the projectiles fired by the Gauss Rifle indicates that they are unsaboted solid slugs, spherical or ovoid in shape & approximately the size of a watermelon; they are blunt impactors, not long rod penetrators. -_-
As Nathan Foxbane pointed out, PGI was lazy and used the APFSDS cartridge model that comes with CryEngine instead of creating a Proper Gauss Rifle slug.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users