Eliting Mechs

21 replies to this topic

#1 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

So I've been in the process of eliting mechs for about 3 or 4 months now. It really is such a huge difference between non basic and elited, even basics only and elited.

The Loki was the latest one I finished up and it went from close fights and 300-400 damage matches with 2 kills or so to a murder machine that manages to end the match at 30% hp every time with 500-1000 damage and 2-5 kills.

Also the difference is very noticeable between chassis when you are doing something like trying to level up a completely unbasiced Black Knight in one game then you go to running a fully elited Loki the next. Eliting a mech really does seem like training, like you are learning how to best use that mech and when you do pilot it it feels just right.

So who else here is collecting all the pokemechs in an attempt to be a mech master, and how has the journey been for you?

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:59 PM

I usually just elite/master 1 variant of a chassis, but my older mechs like my Atlas, Hunchback and Catapults are all mastered or something.

#3 PAINLESS 42

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:06 PM

I have an unhealthy addiction for Assault Mechs, and find that eliting them is pretty much a requirement. Alot of people will dip into an Atlas or DW and give up because they aren't maneuverable enough, and you really need to stick it out to elite for the double accel/decel and twist effects or you're in for frustration and suffering.

#4 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:10 PM

It's always a big difference, but in some cases the difference is just exceptional. The Black Knight was a special case for me, because eliting it pushed it just over the threshold of where an energy boat needs to be in a sustained firefight. Especially with a combination of PPCs and lasers.

There's also the Locust. Without speed tweak, you may as well just take your dolly and go home. Dire Wolf? Same thing.

But there are plenty of Clan mechs that will work fine without being elited. Not just the Tier 1 clan mechs either. And you've got IS ballistic boats that'll work ok without being elited. A dual gauss Jager for example.

#5 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

View PostPAINLESS 42, on 07 October 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

I have an unhealthy addiction for Assault Mechs, and find that eliting them is pretty much a requirement. Alot of people will dip into an Atlas or DW and give up because they aren't maneuverable enough, and you really need to stick it out to elite for the double accel/decel and twist effects or you're in for frustration and suffering.

Good tip, I own 2 of the 3 Atlases I need at the moment. I also happen to own one Dire Wolf. Even the little additions to manuverablity really help those chassis.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

View PostElizander, on 07 October 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

I usually just elite/master 1 variant of a chassis, but my older mechs like my Atlas, Hunchback and Catapults are all mastered or something.

i usually master and dump. for most mechs there are usually only 1 or sometimes 2 variants worth anything (i try to keep at least one around). clan mechs for example, just pick the one with the best ct points and dump the rest and keep the omnis. it does require i buy mechs in triplicate though, drive hard to master them all, and then get rid of anything i didnt like during the mastering process.

#7 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

They really need to revisit the whole SKILLS Trees Design. Some of them make no sense for any MECH. For example.

"PINPOINT" There are earlier posts that talk about how convergence does not actually figure into the game mechanics at all. Everything always converges in this game, ho can you speed up something that is already instantaneous?

"TWISTX" Some MECHs benifit from this, but for many it is a moot point. Why would you care about it on an Urbanmech that turns 360 degrees already? Of a Cicada that almost already turns that much.

"ARM REFLEX" Also seems a waste of points. I have not seen any benefit from this on any MECH.
But for the sake of argument, say it does work for some, but some do not benefit from it at all.
Cicada is one, Mauler, and Banshee two more.

It would be good if they made them a little more geared to individual chassis or at least said you can opt out of any 2 to get an extra weapon or mech module slot.

#8 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:53 PM

Instead of starting a new topic for it, I'm just going to start it here since its related.

So anyone else ever use a mech, then 2 other variants, and then get them all the xp required to max elites before they upgrade anything on them?

I mean just think of playing like 100 games in a mech (considering the other 2 variants also) then suddenly you can upgrade it and all those bonuses hit you at once. 50% accel and decel, 20% torso twist, 20% higher heat caps, 15% more cooling, 10% faster, 5% faster firing, etc. It seems pretty great.

I'm going to do this for my Grasshoppers. At the moment I haven't upgraded any of them and just finished my first match in the 5P. As a laser boat its going to be a little insane to be able to fire 3 full alphas repeatedly before a long wait instead of the current 2.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:09 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 10 October 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

So anyone else ever use a mech, then 2 other variants, and then get them all the xp required to max elites before they upgrade anything on them?

Nope, and why would I? ATM however, I have two basiced EBJs with a lot of unspent XPs waiting for the third one. I spent the last of my 8 million C-Bills buying an Adder and decking it out to participate in the Compete for the Cure tournament, so I will now have to raise another 13 million C-Bills from scratch to buy the third one. And not a single event for two weeks. Bummer.

Edited by El Bandito, 10 October 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#10 Vahnn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 357 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFargo

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

I grinded out all the XP for my EBJ-C without spending a single point of it, then fully basiced-elited it between matches. The difference is astounding.

#11 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:20 PM

I've been around long enough for me to get mechs to Master a tad faster, since I only take three to basic and then pick my fav for Elite and then eventual Mastery.

I also often not care about wasting GXP, since I've unlocked what is necesary at this point for the various modules.

So, the question is how much fun per match do you have in a single variant / omni-mix? For you to keep dropping in it?

#12 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:44 PM

View PostFoxwalker, on 07 October 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

They really need to revisit the whole SKILLS Trees Design. TEXT

A+ to all what you said :)
I´m still dreaming of 4 different Skilltrees at least for the 4 weightclasses...(maybe 4 IS vs 4 Clan)

on Topic: in the most cases i "level" 3 variants at the same time. Gives me a better learningexperience for that one Type of Mech (handling, speed, do´s and dont´s).
In some cases, though, i bought just one variant and played with it until i had 43k XP above Basic, enough to master it. (eg COM, STK, Banshee). As it turns out that i have fun in that machine i buy the other variants - Or sell it if the fun isnt there (Trebuchet)

#13 Soldier91

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:54 AM

I like leveling up new mechs when I got the mech bays for it. Always run into the problem of new weapons must buy modules, gotta have this cool down or range bonus for this one specific weapon I managed to fit with this one engine and before I know it I dropped millions and millions of cbills on all that and the mech and now my team mate is mad I didn't have enough cbills for a UAV or GXP to upgrade it. :wub:

Edited by Soldier91, 11 October 2015 - 02:55 AM.

#14 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:55 AM

View PostElizander, on 07 October 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

Pretty much I do.

I will buy a chassis, master the three and select one of the three that is my favorite to play and keep it, selling the rest.

It is crazy easy to earn mech xp.

With role/information warfare on the horizon I have suspended selling the extra's until that is fleshed out. I really hate having to rebuy a chassis once sold.

Edited by TWIAFU, 11 October 2015 - 03:57 AM.

#15 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:12 AM

I play pokemech. I buy all the variants of a chassis, then grind them all. I have almost all the light mechs in the game mastered, the majority of the mediums, about half of the assaults, and almost no heavies. I have every module unlocked except one. If I had not spent so much cockpit time in my Golden Boy I would have mastered more mechs. Now at 1.5 million xp in the Golden Boy.

I MUST MASTER THEM ALL!

#16 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:20 AM

I vote to remove all the skill unlocks completely.

They make the mechs too fast, too agile, too maneuverable, too heat-efficient, just too good.
They skill system is one of the worst things in the game, along with consumables, the whole LRM vs ECM shtick and the majority of dynamic geometry. :angry:

And mech-scaling!

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 11 October 2015 - 04:20 AM.

#17 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:35 AM

tbh mastering a chassis seems like unnecessery work, its just a place holder for a real progression, unfortunately this game has none of it other than buying a new chassis each time one comes out.

#18 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts
  • LocationA Vindicator cockpit near you

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:57 AM

I play pokemech too, buy all the variants and master them, then keep only the ones i like to free mechbays and start the process again.

I just need the FS9 to complete the IS lights, the cataphract 0x and 2 grasshoppers to complete the IS heavies ( not counting the BK or wolfhound until they are released for c-bills). Still a long way to go for mediums and even more for assaults. And then clan mechs.

At first i went for the easy route too, buy 3 variants, basic them and later master the fauvorite, but buying mechs just to get the basics seemed a waste. And then having 3 variants mastered out of 4 or 5 felt like a waste too. Locusts took a while with a total of 7 variants lol.

Edited by patataman, 11 October 2015 - 05:59 AM.

#19 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:55 AM

View PostFoxwalker, on 07 October 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

\

"ARM REFLEX" Also seems a waste of points. I have not seen any benefit from this on any MECH.
But for the sake of argument, say it does work for some, but some do not benefit from it at all.
Cicada is one, Mauler, and Banshee two more.

As a Dragon pilot, I have to say "get yer hands off my Arm Reflex" at this point...

#20 WildeKarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:47 AM

I agree we should have differing skills for different classes. Maybe keep the basics the same but when it comes to elite not only tailor them to the class but maybe a choice of two per box.

So for lights you can have bonuses to sensors or their sensors are affected less by ecm against a choice of improved jump jets or better turning.
On assaults give them less damage from small laser / mgs or no cockpit shake.

Bin speed tweak as it stands and make it class variable: lights get turning, assaults top speed, mediums torso speed and hvy's accelerate / decelerate for example.

Also you can mix up some of the mechs so hvys with lore about their sensors might be have the light options for a box. Not only would the classes differ but players might differ in bonuses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users