This Game Is Fun! And It Was Always Fun!

18 replies to this topic

#1 MysticLink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:03 PM

I liked the game in the ppc gauss days.

I like the game after ppc gauss days.

I like the game now with quirks. I will like the game after they do whatever they going to do with the quirks.

You know what. You can do good in any mech if it suits your style.

I once when you can only fire two larger lasers without ghost heat, got over 1000 damage in a catapult with 4 large lasers.

No mech is bad in my opinion. You can make every mech work, but not every mech is suppose to be for majority of people's style.

There is going to be some mechs which majority of pilots can make it work, while some other mechs, fewer people are good at it, but none the less, they are good at it.

Take for example me. I suck in the madcats really bad. It can't get the timberwolf to work. Yet supposedly it's the most OP mech in the game.

Yet I take the Ilya the most out of all mechs (and I've heard cataphracts are broken often on these forums) and I kill it more often then not.

It's all about style. What suits your way of playing.

Find which mechs work for you, and play them.

My younger brother plays really well with the Jager mechs for example, specially the 3 ultra ac 5 one.

His style is not laser vomit because he likes sustained dps style in which he performs better. The same is generally true of me, though I do ok in laser vomit builds as well.

If you expect every mech to be good for everyone well that's not how it is. If you want every mech style to be fun for you, then sorry to say, that's not how things are.

Take for example heroes of the storm. I play that game and there is a lot of characters I don't play and don't want to play, because it's not my style. It doesn't make those characters bad. Some of them are really good in fact.

I want my last 6 games in a row with a character (Raynor) that is hardly ever used by pros, and is not considered a top character. I've had games where I do over 100 000 damage, while the closest to me in that game is someone at 60 000 damage.

I win most of the games with that character. It suits my style. I like the character. I have fun.

The same is true of mechs people don't usually take. Some people it suits their style. Sure majority of people or pros have a certain meta because of how they work together, but pug life is different.

You can make any mech work and do well with them.

The thing is if you get obsessed with all mechs being balanced or just play the meta builds, you might not find the mechs that are better for you and would suit your style more, because you are unique, and a certain mech might just click for you.

Try to find not only what mech you perform better in, but what mech you have more fun in.

#2 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:38 AM

+1

Saying it like it is.

Bravo good sir!

Bravo I say!

#3 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:59 AM

+1.

But remember: not everyone feels this same way.
Do a google search for "spike johnny and timmy"(they are 3 gamer archetypes) to understand what i mean (if you don't know about it yet).

#4 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:15 AM

The core game is fun or MWO would not have survived that long but some of the additions make it a chore game - and there is a watershed when fun becomes run!

Edited by Thorqemada, 12 October 2015 - 03:16 AM.

#5 generalazure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:37 AM

It's fun, but it could be even more fun. If it were not fun at all, people would just leave and not even bother complaining ;)

#6 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:01 AM

The core of the game was always fun, and still is, but the method in which its being played has changed a LOT, and for the (much) worse. What I don't like about the way it is now, is the "peek a boo", hide behind cover, pop out, alpha, go back into cover, play style.

It has changed from being 99% massive, out in the open, minute, long face to face brawls of molten metal mechs, to 99% every mech constantly hiding behind hills sniping.

For example an Atlas has gone from being a mothership that gave no *ucks about where and what it walked into, surviving fire for what seemed like decades, to now a giant domino that takes a few steps then falls on its face a couple seconds after encountering fire.

All classes lived longer back in the early beta days but nothing has changed as much as Assaults. For example if a jenner lived 30 seconds out in the fire back in CB, it now lives maybe 20 seconds, a reduction in TTK, but but at Atlas lived maybe 3 minutes, and now thats 3 seconds.

Table top armour values dont translate well into a first person shooter, and imo I had a feeling the game would turn into a COD style shooter as soon as I saw they kept the TT ratio of Armour values between classes. It just took a while for people to learn the optimal playstyle and for new mechs with more firepower to come out to exaggerate the problem.

The only way you can live now is if you constantly hide and poke out only to shoot. We need more tanky mechs in the game that can serve as the arrow of a push in order to get the momentum started on more brawls and a lot of good things will cascade after that tipping point.

Edited by l33tworks, 12 October 2015 - 04:03 AM.

#7 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:03 AM

View PostMysticLink, on 09 October 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

It's all about style. What suits your way of playing.

Find which mechs work for you, and play them.

You can make any mech work and do well with them.

Try to find not only what mech you perform better in, but what mech you have more fun in.

I like the way you think.

Play to have fun with your team/group/unit and you will never have a bad game.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:17 AM

All classes lived longer back in the early beta days but nothing has changed as much as Assaults. For example if a jenner lived 30 seconds out in the fire back in CB, it now lives maybe 20 seconds, a reduction in TTK, but but at Atlas lived maybe 3 minutes, and now thats 3 seconds.

This. TTK is ABSURDLY out of whack. And its definitely detracting from the fun of the game.

#9 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:49 AM

View PostKhobai, on 12 October 2015 - 04:17 AM, said:

This. TTK is ABSURDLY out of whack. And its definitely detracting from the fun of the game.

Yet when PGI tried to remove all weapon quirks from the game in the latest PTS everyone lost their minds and started throwing apeshit at them. And PGI had to backpedal and say it was only a part of the rebalance.

What I want to say with this is, that the community is equaly responsible as PGI for the low TTK.

#10 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:02 AM

The only people complaining about the removal of quirks were those wanting to hold on to their OP mechs / playstyles.

#11 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:02 AM

+1

You sir, deserve a good Belgian beer!

#12 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:08 AM

Core game is fun. But that's about it.

I am terrible tired of seeing the same names running the same vomit builds. These are the worst offenders of bragging abour their tiers, run Timbies and Crows with same builds and post a enormous e-peen of how they achieved a 1000 damage score or ace of spades. Hell it has been going for over a year now. Gauss and lasers / boating weapons is what matters the rest can stuff it mentality. (Set the bad weapon values aside for a moment) and then talk about 'skill'.

Posted Image

But it's so satisfying when a ECM carrier needs to retreat because you neuter their ECM in a overly ECM carrier game. And then proceed to pick out other ECM mechs and kick his and their faces with a bad build and a shitmech.

The downside of carrying it costs you one energy point a braincel to run it.

I shuffle builds alot and experimenting makes it fun. Expecially in bad mechs and still kick the scene on the field.

Edited by Sarlic, 12 October 2015 - 05:18 AM.

#13 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:10 AM

View PostBelphegore, on 12 October 2015 - 05:02 AM, said:

The only people complaining about the removal of quirks were those wanting to hold on to their OP mechs / playstyles.

Yep and probably some whales and "comp teams" which pump enough money into PGI to matter.

This whole quirk system is a mess and needs to go. I applauded PGI for what they did in the PTS but sadly its not gonna happen. Because QQ.

#14 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:41 AM

PTS was as rushed as Weapon Quirks were with little Attention to cascading effects or even only Clan vs IS.
It was not good and that is why the game gets critic bcs the potential is burried under convoluted "Balance Helper Systems" and the core of the imbalances is never adressed from Heatscale, to Hardpoint Numbers/-sizes/-placing to Speed, to Agility, to Shape, to Ranges, to Pinpoint and whatever else unbalances the game - nothing was adressed and they simply should acknowledge that the Information-War-Pillar will never have the same value than Firepower, Protection, Speed.

Firepower is the most urgent Pillar of a Mech.
Speed is the second most urgent Pillar.
Protection is the third most urgent Pillar.
Infotech is 97 ranks below these Pillars bcs the maps are still small and there is almost no surprise and ECM hides info already at a Level that shows that Poeple still find Mechs to shot and Groups on Voice dont need any Infowar bcs they talk it away - it would only hurt PUGplay and ECM has probably driven more Poeple off than all Lurmageddons together...

PS: The only time there was a diverse Gameplay with as many Roles as possible participating was a timespan of a few weeks b4 ECM was implemented - i really thought PGI would get it right that time and bought the Phoenix Pack.
Maybe that on a mathematical Level the Balance was not as good in theory but Gameplay was the best that time bcs you really had a choice what role to play.
Since ECM it is one monovalent Meta after the next...

Edited by Thorqemada, 12 October 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#15 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:49 AM

View PostBelphegore, on 12 October 2015 - 05:02 AM, said:

The IS pilots who haven't left their swaddling clothes behind yet.

View PostThorqemada, on 12 October 2015 - 05:41 AM, said:

PTS was as rushed as Weapon Quirks were with little Attention to cascading effects or even only Clan vs IS.
It was not good and that is why the game gets critic bcs the potential is burried under convoluted "Balance Helper Systems" and the core of the imbalances is never adressed from Heatscale, to Hardpoint Numbers/-sizes/-placing to Speed, to Agility, to Shape, to Ranges, to Pinpoint and whatever else unbalances the game - nothing was adressed and they simply should acknowledge that the Information-War-Pillar will never have the same value than Firepower, Protection, Speed.

Firepower is the most urgent Pillar of a Mech.
Speed is the second mosr urgent Pillar.
Protection is the third most urgent Pillar.
Infotech is 97 ranks below these Pillars bcs the maps are still small and there is almost no surprise and ECM hides info already at a Level that shows that Poeple still find Mechs to shot and Groups on Voice dont need any Infowar bcs they talk it away - it would only hurt PUGplay and ECM has probably driven more Poeple off than all Lurmageddons together...

PS: The only time there was a diverse Gameplay with as many Roles as possible participating was a timespan of a few weeks b4 ECM was implemented - i really thought PGI would get it right that time and bought the Phoenix Pack.
Maybe that on a mathematical Level the Balance was not as good in theory but Gameplay was the best that time bcs you really had a choice what role to play.
Since ECM it is one monovalent Meta after the next...

Especially since given map design and player apathy almost all the matches play out the exact same way, with Hey let's duke it out over HERE (pick big easy to see feature for HERE)

#16 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostTexAce, on 12 October 2015 - 04:49 AM, said:

Yet when PGI tried to remove all weapon quirks from the game in the latest PTS everyone lost their minds and started throwing apeshit at them. And PGI had to backpedal and say it was only a part of the rebalance.

What I want to say with this is, that the community is equaly responsible as PGI for the low TTK.

People didn't get mad about the PTS because it increased TTK, and they didn't get mad specifically because it removed quirks either. Most of the people who complained about the PTS wants both those things to happen.

They got mad about it because it was a completely clueless mess delivered with inadequate communication.

Edited by Sjorpha, 12 October 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#17 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:23 AM

Having put almost 200 hours of my live into the game I too wish to say "I like it"
It's not perfect, but it is jolly good fun.

#18 Jabilac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio, USA

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

I have enjoyed this game since open beta started. It's the first free to play game I ever invested cash into and I still find it was interesting as I did 2 years ago. I am really looking forward to the new balance changes. I think most people over reacted to the PTS changes without thinking about the process that needs to happen before these changes can become permanent. PGI can't be expected to change the entire game balance all at once. Personally I think changes to info gathering can and will have a large effect on how this game is played. Sure delay on paper doll doesn't seem like a big deal but not receiving targeting info from a teammate because he is outside your mech range will effect games. You won't know where the enemy is located, how damaged they are, what direction they are moving, or how many there are. Right now a scout can target a mech 2000 meters away and instantly you know what direction to travel, what mech it is, load out details, and damage info all instantly without any need for more communication.

#19 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

View PostJabilac, on 12 October 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

Sure delay on paper doll doesn't seem like a big deal but not receiving targeting info from a teammate because he is outside your mech range will effect games. You won't know where the enemy is located, how damaged they are, what direction they are moving, or how many there are. Right now a scout can target a mech 2000 meters away and instantly you know what direction to travel, what mech it is, load out details, and damage info all instantly without any need for more communication.

The main problem is how PGI wants to force that kind of balance. Role- and information warfare is not wrong but the lack of communication and the vision of PGI on these two pillars is somewhat worrying.

I like role- and information warfare. But it needs to balanced. Atleast reasonable balanced. Not that mess we have now.

I really hope PGI is going right on track after the shutdown of PTS but the lead designer is in my opinion inexperienced to make even a reasonable balance. The 3 years of on going attempts of reasonable balance which is still at the place of nowere is frustating.

I hope i am wrong though, but the signs so far is not something to be excited about.

Edited by Sarlic, 12 October 2015 - 08:27 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users