Expanded Paint Options.

7 replies to this topic

#1 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:08 AM

Just a simple little idea, since the current setup hasn't seen much expansion in the ways of interesting paint colors.

First, I'd like to see one "Basic" color for each of the current color categories, except for "Grey", which might merit a white, a grey, and a black. The basic colors are actually surprisingly useful, given that they give a nice splash of color to the mech without being as intense as the standards. They're about on par with the Camo colors. The other thing is that I'd like the price tag on the basic paints dialed way back. I don't think that PGI is making much in the way of monetary profit by charging high c-bill prices for unlocking paint, and too many players shun spending the money in favor of spending those C-bills on customization and new mechs.

On the other end of the scale, I noticed that some of the colors can't actually be accessed with the current color palette. For example, the Fuchsia of the Heavy Metal can't be duplicated on anything else. I'd like to see Indigos, Magentas, and perhaps some neons incorporated into the list. Another thing I'd like to see are "Metallics", where while true chrome effects like on the Clan Golden mechs wouldn't be possible, they'd have that sort of "Glitter" look to them. Many canon regiments incorporate metallic paints for their parade colors, ranging from the silver trim of the 2nd An Ting (Draconis Combine), to the full blown metallic paint schemes like the 1st Taurian Lancers (Taurian Concordat).

Another option would be to include an RGB slider system to allow players to choose a custom paint color from outside of the existing ones.

There are two final points that I'd like to have the option to tinker with. Mech canopy color, which is currently hard-wired for every mech. The other thing I'd like to tinker with is sheen... As seen on many new paint schemes like the Snake camo, the Liao Faction camo, and many of the new "Gift" mechs for customer appreciation. These sheens look really nice, but are stuck to only one color, which - for example, makes taking any colors outside of the greens and limes with the Liao camo look strange. Having the option to play with those effects would be great.

Thank you, and have a good one.

Edited by ice trey, 10 October 2015 - 05:25 AM.

#2 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:08 AM

View Postice trey, on 10 October 2015 - 02:08 AM, said:

Just a simple little idea, since the current setup hasn't seen much expansion in the ways of interesting paint colors.

First, I'd like to see one "Basic" color for each of the current color categories, except for "Grey", which might merit a white, a grey, and a black. The basic colors are actually surprisingly useful, given that they give a nice splash of color to the mech without being as intense as the standards. They're about on par with the Camo colors. The other thing is that I'd like the price tag on the basic paints dialed way back. I don't think that PGI is making much in the way of monetary profit by charging high c-bill prices for unlocking paint, and too many players shun spending the money in favor of spending those C-bills on customization and new mechs.

On the other end of the scale, I noticed that some of the colors can't actually be accessed with the current color palette. For example, the Fuchsia of the Heavy Metal can't be duplicated on anything else. I'd like to see Indigos, Magentas, and perhaps some neons incorporated into the list. Another thing I'd like to see are "Metallics", where while true chrome effects like on the Clan Golden mechs wouldn't be possible, they'd have that sort of "Glitter" look to them. Many canon regiments incorporate metallic paints for their parade colors, ranging from the silver trim of the 2nd An Ting (Draconis Combine), to the full blown metallic paint schemes like the 1st Taurian Lancers (Taurian Concordat).

Another option would be to include an RGB slider system to allow players to choose a custom paint color from outside of the existing ones.

There are two final points that I'd like to have the option to tinker with. Mech canopy color, which is currently hard-wired for every mech. The other thing I'd like to tinker with is sheen... As seen on many new paint schemes like the Snake camo, the Liao Faction camo, and many of the new "Gift" mechs for customer appreciation. These sheens look really nice, but are stuck to only one color, which - for example, makes taking any colors outside of the greens and limes with the Liao camo look strange. Having the option to play with those effects would be great.

Thank you, and have a good one.

I have to agree with this. I would like to see a few more paint tones myself. Sun Yellow, and Mimosa would be a couple I think would add to the game as far as options for paints for Mechs.

#3 Red King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts
  • LocationLancashire, United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

I'd love to be able to assign a number to your battlemech and have an option to use a 4th paint option so it appears on the legs, shoulders and back etc#

I'd love the RGB slider system, but unfortunately a lot of people will feel (including myself) a little cheated out because they've spent real money on paints. Unless they were either refunded or given an option to paint their already painted mechs for free.

Edited by Akagami, 10 October 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#4 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:30 PM

I'm too busy to read the entire OP, but I gleaned something about new colors, including something pink like on the Heavy Metal.
This I definitely agree with. More color choices can only be beneficial. :)

Even though I personally have no need for new colors, I'm sure there are others who would like to have some additional colors to choose from. ^_^

#5 ice trey

• 1,523 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:18 PM

View PostAkagami, on 10 October 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

I'd love to be able to assign a number to your battlemech and have an option to use a 4th paint option so it appears on the legs, shoulders and back etc#

I'd love the RGB slider system, but unfortunately a lot of people will feel (including myself) a little cheated out because they've spent real money on paints. Unless they were either refunded or given an option to paint their already painted mechs for free.

Personally, I imagined the possibility to use a slider, but since the game currently has already monetized their paints, I think the RGB slider would exist to get those "Tough to get" colors, and could therefore be used to save new colors to the palette. Each would probably have to charge more MC than the premium paints to make it worthwhile, though.

#6 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:03 PM

Screw the schemes. I want a cool boarders 2 style paint shop.

#7 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,684 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:02 PM

What I'd like to see is unit camouflages.

1st Argyle Lancers paint scheme is one such scheme I'd like to see as seen below.

Posted Image

Also units like the Ghost and Legion of Vega to name a few:

Ghost Catapult

Posted Image

#8 ice trey

• 1,523 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:07 AM

Before anyone says anything, YES, I am necro'ing the thread. No damns given. I still feel this way, want to keep the topic in people's minds, and get some more discussion going.

View PostHawk819, on 24 October 2015 - 11:02 PM, said:

What I'd like to see is unit camouflages.

1st Argyle Lancers paint scheme is one such scheme I'd like to see as seen below.

Posted Image

Also units like the Ghost and Legion of Vega to name a few:

Ghost Catapult

Posted Image

Legit, I'd absolutely love some of the canon paint schemes, though a lot of the existing ones already cover those bases. I've made 'mechs to represent almost every single canon scheme in the Draconis Combine, so far.

But on the other hand, I can see how hard it would be to do so. You might have noticed that camo schemes have slowed down to a crawl. Of course, the Hero mechs always have a unique pattern, but as the selection of 'mechs expands, so does the time required to come up with new paint schemes.

Of course, they could dodge this by limiting paint schemes to certain 'mechs, but even the Inner Sphere roster is pretty big. I'd suggest doing so specifically for mechs that are unique to the faction, but while PGI did a good job of getting official support from Battletech line developers in writing news reports and short stories for MWO up to and during closed beta, I'm sceptical that they'd put the effort into checking a TRO to figure out which 'mechs are common with which factions. We'd have weird stuff like Davion Maulers, Steiner Cataphracts, and Capellan Wolfhounds.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users