27 replies to this topic

#1 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:22 PM

AWESOME!

But at least turn it up so people can hear something more than what sounds like some idiot mumbling in the background. If we can't understand you the only thing you are doing is being a distraction.

If I can't hear you with a 12 db boost on my end.... then no one else can hear a thing you are trying to mumble.

#2 Tsar Bomba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

View Postsycocys, on 11 October 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

some idiot mumbling in the background.

As opposed to some idiot you can hear loud and clear? :)

#3 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:29 PM

There is seriously nothing more frustrating than having someone talking in the background of your game - and that is saying a lot given this game has a lot of frustrating things going on without it.

Much rather hear someone being stupid, than someone trying to command and you can barely hear them much less make out what they are saying.

Edited by sycocys, 11 October 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#4 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

Hey! I resemble that remark!! B)

#5 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:31 PM

Yes! Turn voip boost up to max, people!

#6 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:33 PM

This is impossible as people are at different audio settings in game and out and there is no way to hear yourself (ie no test button)

So you may get it nice and low for eg so everyone can hear you without ripping their eardrums but a few guys has a different setting and can't hear you at all (this could be you OP, the person who has other settings loud).

Vice versa, someone can be loud that other people can hear him but others muted him due to to loud to even focus.

For all you know you are also the mumbling idiot no one cares to pay attention to for the majority...

#7 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:01 PM

I've got the incoming Voip at +12 db and can hear anyone that's actually adjusted their mic to moderately audible levels quite clearly over my studio monitors.

I'm not willing to turn it up any further than that because the occasional dink that is chewing gravel is intolerable at any higher level.

The problem comes in when people have their settings far to low and you can hear them but it only comes through as mumbling because their mic is accentuated at a level where its barely picking up their voice.

#8 SkyHammyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 462 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:07 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 11 October 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

This is impossible as people are at different audio settings in game and out and there is no way to hear yourself (ie no test button).

Yeah, this.

So tell me OP, how the hell do I know if I sound too low or not? I sound just fine to my buddies on Mumble, so I presume I sound okay on VOIP. But, without a way to test it, that's anyone's guess.

#9 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:20 PM

View PostSkyHammr, on 11 October 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

Yeah, this.

So tell me OP, how the hell do I know if I sound too low or not? I sound just fine to my buddies on Mumble, so I presume I sound okay on VOIP. But, without a way to test it, that's anyone's guess.

Because if I or someone else tells you that your mic is too low and they can't hear a thing you are saying - then after another 2 minutes of your rambling tell you to shut up because your barely audible mumbling is extremely distracting....

When that happens, you know you in-game mic settings are too low and you need to adjust them.

If someone is kind enough to tell you your mic is too low and you spend the next 8 minutes rambling and distracting the rest of your team instead of taking 15 seconds to adjust the level up - you deserve to have that mic inserted forcefully into one of your holes.

#10 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:59 PM

View Postsycocys, on 11 October 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

AWESOME!

But at least turn it up so people can hear something more than what sounds like some idiot mumbling in the background. If we can't understand you the only thing you are doing is being a distraction.

If I can't hear you with a 12 db boost on my end.... then no one else can hear a thing you are trying to mumble.

I notice that during the start of a match, I too have to strain to make out conversation over voip. At the end though, when those with Mics are hurling obscenities at each other, they're far easier to hear :)

#11 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

I'd love it if my VoIP worked in the first place...

#12 EightBitKnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

Just make sure to tell them you can't hear them otherwise you're not helping anyone, not you and most definitely not your team. I use it when i can but like many have said no test button. So if people come in unclear a quick "I can't understand you" might at least help keep them quiet and not clogging coms thinking they are helping. Plus them just might fix their coms. but ive gotten that. Also you don't need to qoute movies and anime before the match. I don't mind a good battle cry but stuff like " shall we dance" yeah no enemy can hear you and your team doesn't care just call a target please.

#13 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:43 AM

Literally every single one of the last 15 times I've let someone know their mic is too low - they carry on rambling through the entire match instead of fix it at the start.

I've got 250 watts of near field studio monitoring speakers no more than 2 ft away from my head, running through a 24 bit sound processor. I use this set up to produce psytrance with dozens of layers of sounds, so my ears and brain are pretty well trained to pick apart background noises in the mix. -- If I can't hear/understand you on the mic, the chances of someone else being able to understand you is very close to 0.

Edited by sycocys, 12 October 2015 - 02:43 AM.

#14 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:53 AM

I remember the good 'ol days :).

I remember when SOCOM U.S. Navy Seal released for the PS2. It came with this fancy network adapter to play PS2 ONLINE! It also came with...a headset!

Back then, only one person on your team could talk at any given time (probably a bandwidth thing), so you know what that meant? 12yo Karaoke time! It seemed like almost every time you played, some kid would be singing tieing up the darn com line and you couldn't do a darn thing. Eventually it times out, but if he's quick, he gets back on and resumes singing. Fun!

Well, SOCOM didn't last long anyway. That was still the era of Game Shark and Code Breaker hacks. Hackers used those tools to hack the crap out of the game and it died out shortly after.

Anyway, I'd rather have the occasional volume issues and the ability to mute over that old mess.

Just thought I'd share because...why not lol.

#15 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:57 AM

I completely mmmnmm ffgggffmmnn mmnmn mmnnmn fgfgfhhhgg nmnnnfgmn.

#16 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:08 AM

I have no idea how I sound, nobody has indicated a deficiency. My pals on TS have no issues.

Unless someone speaks up, how does one know they have a deficiency? Is there some test in the menu I don't know about?

#17 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:19 AM

View Postcdlord, on 12 October 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

I have no idea how I sound, nobody has indicated a deficiency. My pals on TS have no issues.

Unless someone speaks up, how does one know they have a deficiency? Is there some test in the menu I don't know about?

Most of the players that have TS on as well actually have their mics set up right at the windows level, or know that its quiet because they had to turn it way up in TS so they turn it up in the voip settings already.

Pretty safe to assume you already did one of those, but if you drop with me and sound like a mumbling train carrying on in the background I guarantee I will let you know.

#18 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:38 AM

The game has no way of letting you know how you sound to other players, it desperately needs a record-playback test in-game.

#19 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostSkyHammr, on 11 October 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

Yeah, this.

- Enter match
-Say "mic check"
-Wait for response
-Adjust volume as needed

I always perform a mic check whenever I log on to vent/TS, no matter what. It's a good habit to get into.

#20 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

View Postsycocys, on 12 October 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

Most of the players that have TS on as well actually have their mics set up right at the windows level, or know that its quiet because they had to turn it way up in TS so they turn it up in the voip settings already.

Pretty safe to assume you already did one of those, but if you drop with me and sound like a mumbling train carrying on in the background I guarantee I will let you know.

nope

why is it that people can hear if I leave teamspeak on the settings I installed it and people can't hear me ingame when I leave the settings alone as well?

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users