18 replies to this topic

#1 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:04 AM

So I have saved up roughly around 13 mill c-bills. I am looking to purchase a new mech but am so skeptical about it all. First let me tell you what mechs I own and enjoy piloting. I love my raven 2x and my new Cicada 3f (L). I enjoy faster mechs who can get in and out fast But I wanted to expand my skills so I also bought a Hunchback Grid Iron. At first I was an awful Hbk pilot and then I got used to the slow moving monster. I also bought a Catapult to practice Lrm fighting and such things.

So now I want to buy a heavy or assualt mechs to brawl in. I just don't know which one to choose. The Mad Dog looks nice. And so do alot of others. Just need some advice from some other people. Thanks for your time.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,925 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:13 AM

If you want fast load times, then go with the Assault rather than the Heavy (with the exception of periods where a new mech of a different wight class is introduced (e.g. right now with the Crab), the Heavy cue is almost always the highest percentage and thus slowest).

Per your goal of wanting to brawl, I suggest you buy more Hunchbacks and get them mastered. There are some excellent brawlers as well as support mech varriants in Hunchbacks (4J!). Even forgetting your desire to add a brawler, I think you would be better off mastering any of the mechs you currently have (need three variants of a given chassis) and then moving on from there.

#3 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:38 AM

Just a little advice...

1. The Gridiron is quirked hard for the gauss so be sure to set it up that way.
2. Do you have three variants of each chassis that you can level basics and then elites. X2 upgrades makes a huge difference. Prioritize this over new mechs.
3. 13m is not a lot of Cbills. If you go assaults, you will be almost out before you know it. Save more or buy something lighter. The medium and light queues are frequently quick. If you do choose assault, there area a few decent options. Banshee, Battlemaster, and Stalkers area all decent IS chassis.

-k

#4 Duke ramulots

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:47 AM

One thing you might want to consider is getting a clan drop deck put together seeing as how you've been playing in a clan unit for a while now.

#5 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

If that's the case then buy the Ebon Jag pack, use Cbills to upgrade and buy Timberwolves and call it a day.

-k

#6 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:59 AM

I'd stick with IS assaults like the King Crab or Banshee.

It's better to have a fully mastered King Crab or Banshee rather than a single Dire Wolf or Warhawk that's only basic. Clan assaults are very expensive, and you'll have to play nearly every day for a month to get the amount of CBills required to buy 3 DWF chassis.

*Edit*

Forgot you mentioned Heavy as a possibility as well. I'd say your best bet at this time is to do Thunderbolts. They aren't too expensive, and with the exception of the 5S, pretty much every Thunderbolt is solid.

My personal recommendation would be to start with the TDR-5SS, then the TDR-9SE, and lastly the TDS-9S, to unlock the 3 chassis required to Elite them.

Edited by Aresye Kerensky, 12 October 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#7 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 12 October 2015 - 07:04 AM, said:

So I have saved up roughly around 13 mill c-bills. I am looking to purchase a new mech but am so skeptical about it all. First let me tell you what mechs I own and enjoy piloting. I love my raven 2x and my new Cicada 3f (L). I enjoy faster mechs who can get in and out fast But I wanted to expand my skills so I also bought a Hunchback Grid Iron. At first I was an awful Hbk pilot and then I got used to the slow moving monster. I also bought a Catapult to practice Lrm fighting and such things.

So now I want to buy a heavy or assualt mechs to brawl in. I just don't know which one to choose. The Mad Dog looks nice. And so do alot of others. Just need some advice from some other people. Thanks for your time.

The Mad Dog wouldn't be my first choice for brawling. I've seen some people have some decent games running Streak Dogs and Splat Dogs, so I won't say it can't be done. I'd use an HBR for brawling before I'd use a MDD though. The Mad Dog's hard point layout and hit boxes make it pretty easy to neutralize.

Don't get me wrong, I like them, especially after I found a build that works for me. But I think you should know what you're getting yourself into with them. They were designed to be standoff/support mechs that only moved in close after their long ranged ammo ran out in lore, and that's pretty much how they translated into MWO. I find that's usually the best way to play them.

#8 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

I wouldn't go with Thunderbolts if they plan on a rebalance and knocking down many quirks. The Cataphract is a good all arounder that you can use without leaning on too many quirks. Jagers are also nice mechs but need to be played a bit differently as they are more fragile in comparison.

-k

#9 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:15 AM

Yeah I might just buy three more Hunchbacks so I can unlock those skills. So to be clear how many Hunchbacks do I need to unlock the next set of skills? Is it three all together? Just 3 Hunchbacks total or 3 plus the one I already have?

#10 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

You need three total. I recommend the 4P and the 4J as the other two.

#11 Duke ramulots

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon

You need three total variants to unlock the next tier of skills.

#12 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 12 October 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

Yeah I might just buy three more Hunchbacks so I can unlock those skills. So to be clear how many Hunchbacks do I need to unlock the next set of skills? Is it three all together? Just 3 Hunchbacks total or 3 plus the one I already have?

3 Hunchies total, so 2 plus the one you currently have. They are one of the better IS mediums, and pretty cheap to purchase, but I think most, if not all of them lack any upgrades like ES or DHS. I've only got the 4G(?) Whichever one comes with the AC/20, but I like it.

#13 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

If you like the Hunchback, you should check out the Blackjack.

It can also mount an AC20 with a few medium lasers, and even jump jets (though only with XL engine)

My personal fav is the BJ-1X which you can make extremely fast (over 112kph I think) and mount 8 medium lasers. 6 of those lasers are high arm mounted :)

#14 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

As was already said Hunchback J and G are great medium mechs that play very different roles.
I have to disagree about the Ebon Jag,if you want a great clan heavy you cant go wrong with the Hellbringer,ECM and can pack a good punch,take a good beating and has high mounted hardpoints.Stormcrow is also great but I disliked it coz it was so cheezy.

Edited by Charronn, 12 October 2015 - 08:27 AM.

#15 Phra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

Thunderbolts, no question.

TDR-9SE XL version
TDR-9SE STD version
TDR-5SS
TDR-9S XL version
TDR-9S STD version

T-bolts pretty much cover all engaging distances with the STD ones being ridiculously tanky, while also having the best CW tonnage at 65 as the cherry on top.

Edited by Phra, 12 October 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#16 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostDuke ramulots, on 12 October 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:

One thing you might want to consider is getting a clan drop deck put together seeing as how you've been playing in a clan unit for a while now.

What's up Duke. Yeah that's a good idea. I'll be back on TeamSpeak once my headset comes in. Should be arriving in a few days hopefully. Just can't stand the mic I using now. Feedback and I have to keep muting and stuff.

#17 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:34 AM

I'd hold off from buying more IS Heavies until we know what's happening with the re-quirk and re-balance. Banshees and King Crabs have good enough hardpoints they shouldn't change much from where they are. Battlemasters can go fast and have a lot of hardpoint variety. They have massive hitboxes and only weight 85 tons so they're not as tanky as they should be.

If you can wait for the mechs to be delivered in December and are willing to spend cash, I'd recommend getting a Marauder pack since it's 75 tons, top in its weight class, has a good mix of hardpoints and takes jump jets.

On the Clan side, Timber Wolves and Ebon Jaguars are pretty much always going to be good and they're mobile Heavies. The TBR is the better SRM brawler of the two. Clans are better at mid-range laser builds, though. Hellbringers are also worth a look but not so much for brawling.

Gargoyles are fast Assaults at 89.1 KPH when speed tweaked. They can take a mass of lasers but the hardpoints are low slung in the arms or CT. Executioners are slower but a bit tankier at 95 tons, have MASC and jump jets, can take a mass of lasers in low slung arms but some high mounts in the torsos as well.

Edited by Mizeur, 12 October 2015 - 08:34 AM.

#18 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

Light: Firestarter/Arctic Cheater - Brawly lights
Medium: Blackjack (champion loadout is fun/Shadow Cat (poptart)
Heavy: Cataphract (good mix of loadouts) or Tbolt/Timber Wolf (nuff said)
Assault: Stalker (packs so much power for an IS mech)/Dire Wolf (spam all the UAC 10's)

Edited by NextGame, 12 October 2015 - 09:10 AM.

#19 EAP10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:15 AM

If you're feeling brave... I might pick up a summoner if I were you. They are very agile for their weight, and have great Torso twist, therefore making them kinda tanky. Buy the D varient, then set it up with a UAC20 in a side Torso and two med. Pulse on one arm. It's moderately similar in setup to a hunchback.
I always have fun in my summoners, even when I lose.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users