#41 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:52 PM

View PostHades Trooper, on 13 October 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

Glazed over after 5 mins, bored me to death. All i heard was blah blah blah, excuses, excuses. If only i could make excuses at my job as to why i have a backlog and how everyone else in the factory is backlogged cause i'm behind since i'm the guy who makes all the components for everyone else.

So whats the eta of putting camo on my Invasion mechs?

you, sir, [redacted]

you don't seem to understand just how SMALL PGI's staff really is. and a lot of them bust their asses.

so lay off.

#42 Kshat

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:25 AM

Please, keep the "foreign language" on the fraction camos. It's the best part about them!

I'm not quite sure if there are enough players active in the forum to help with chinese/japanese signs, but I'm very positive that there will be plenty of response to a thread which asks for advice regarding Steiner and Marik Camos.

And if you do that, you could aswell create a thread where people could vote for the words used. Or to collect suggestions.
This way you could create something positive, letting the community take part in camouflage which essentially tries to grasp a peoples bounds.

#43 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:17 AM

View PostLauren Bamlett, on 13 October 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

Yup.

Yeeessssssssssssssss!

#44 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:47 AM

Very charming, and interesting at the same time.

Looking 4ward to being able to change camos on ® and (P) variants!

Edit: Nice of you to show the Wolfhound in this vid already =)

Edited by Myke Pantera, 14 October 2015 - 04:50 AM.

#45 Wild_Alaskan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 159 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:06 AM

Great Dev vlog, as always. It was nice to put a face to Jonty - he's the first dev I ever saw in a match.

Can we take a minute though to talk about Tina's shirt? I want one!

#46 Desintegrator

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:29 AM

Great Dev Log - thanks.

#47 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

View PostDesintegrator, on 14 October 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

Great Dev Log - thanks.

Yeah, in all this excitement, I forgot to say that it was a good episode. I enjoyed this.

So yeah. +1

#48 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostD Heth, on 13 October 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

Interesting to see behind scenes and people involved. Personal Experience from my Employers newsletter, it would be more engaging to start off the DEVLOGs with a softball questionnaire for the interviewees. Such things as favorite mech / faction / food / band / sports team / color ect. ect. Just to break the ice, loosen the mood & get people interacting on a more natural level.

Thank you very much for the feedback! I very much like this idea, will work on this for next time.
(However, Dev Vlog #16 was recorded on the same day as #15!)

View PostAgent Cooper, on 13 October 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

Sorry, thats a model I made a while back and Alex bought it off me. Nice to see its still around.

He has it on a shelf next to his desk! Every Dev Vlog I go and ask him if I can borrow one for display..

View Postwfischer, on 14 October 2015 - 06:06 AM, said:

Great Dev vlog, as always. It was nice to put a face to Jonty - he's the first dev I ever saw in a match.

Can we take a minute though to talk about Tina's shirt? I want one!

Got it from NGNGtv! But it seems this one's already sold out.. http://nogutsnogalax...ctions/t-shirts

#49 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:11 AM

Glad to hear that some of the underdeveloped (older mech) textures are being revisited!

#50 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:01 AM

It would be interesting if the 'rough' textures of the original mechs were appkied only to certain mechs, i.e. Star League era mechs that are no longer able to be produced should have a more battle-scarred appearance. While mechs still in production could be shiney and new looking.

I hope my Founder's mechs don't get re-textured though... I like them just as they are, and with the factory paint scheme.

Loved the little sneak peeks in there of the Wolfy, and Jenner IIC n.n Can't wait until December <3

I wasn't really concerned about any of the things mentioned in this VLog, but it was interesting to listen to, and to see some of the work being done.

I would REALLY like to have a 'Gloss' slider for each channel of color, so you could make some parts matte, and others shiney. All my snipers and hiders would be matte to help blend in, and some of my big brawlers might be shinier. You might run into trouble with people suddenly being able to replicate the 'gold' mech color schemes though...

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 14 October 2015 - 10:07 AM.

#51 Jonty Roodnick

Senior Texture Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 18 posts
  • Locationvancouver

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:13 AM

View PostRyoken, on 13 October 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

As much as I am happy to get camo support on all those C-Bill bonus pack mechs - thank you so much again for that! I am highly disappointed that none of my questions got adressed despite providing questions and screenshots in both question threads (log#14 and #15). I am really concerned about the increasing variation some of the camo patterns do exhibit (woodland, vagabond and polygone). Within a certain camo pattern the area proportionality and curve radius' are highly conserved attributes. Those real life military camo patterns are not put on as randomly as they may look but instead are carefully calculated and created. Thus a camo pattern applied to different vehicles still shows a strict consistency which is lacking in MWOs woodland, vagabond and polygone patterns. 3 Color NATO Flecktarn: http://www.panzerbae...leopard_2a5.htm http://www.panzerbae...aguar_2_tow.htm http://www.panzerbae...iesel_1_tow.pdf http://www.panzerbae...5sitze_t4-a.htm MASSTER US Camo: http://www.panzerbae...r_mbt_m60-a.htm http://www.panzerbae...r_trk_m52-a.htm As one can see in the links provided the 3 color NATO camo pattern can clearly be distinguished from the 4 color US MASSTER camo pattern. This is not the case in MWO here both camo patterns are mixed under the name woodland. It would be great if MWO would provide more coherency in it's more military looking camo patterns as there are a lot of military sophisticated players that like their mechs to look like actual tanks on legs - no glossy or shiny needed - this is what the holovid-jox of solaris 7 stables do use. But out in the field its matt camo. Best regards, Ryo

View PostOld Zaku, on 13 October 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

vagabond ;A; WHY WONT ANYONE TALK ABOUT THE VAGABOND CAMO!?

Im glad you guys brought this up, apologies I didn't get to your questions. Several different artists/contractors painted patterns over the course of mechwarriors lifetime, each bringing their own styles. This created inconsistency in both pattern shape and quality. To counteract this I developed a tool for creating some of the more abstract patterns mathematically. With this new tool, patterns like vagabond, woodland and will retain the same style and proportionality with mathematical precision without ever repeating a shape (retaining variation). Some of my least favorite paint jobs are the old vagabonds, and intend to go back and bring them up to our current standards. Newer mechs like the blackknight have this treatment on them check it out.

#52 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:18 PM

I'm glad that you answered my question and reassured that some day my Urbanmechs will be getting full-camo support.
I am disappointed though, because nobody tried to pronounce my nickname.

Nobody ever pronounces it correctly.

#53 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 14 October 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

I'm glad that you answered my question and reassured that some day my Urbanmechs will be getting full-camo support.

Yoda's Vernaas?

#54 Apocalypse Pryde

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 14 October 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

Yoda's Worn-ass? (I kid)

#55 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:44 PM

View PostApocalypse Pryde, on 14 October 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Yoda's Worn-ass? (I kid)

Actually, you're closer than you think. :lol:

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 14 October 2015 - 09:44 PM.

#56 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:22 PM

Just going to place this here, as it's late while I'm watching this. I want the ability to remove the Loyalty hex pattern. It's horrible, does not look like armor plates in the least, and should probably go.

If you don't want to remove it, at least re-work the texture so that it has a matte surface, something like a corrosion inhibitive compound grey, green, or yellow, not fish-scale-shiny, please?

#57 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:35 AM

View PostJonty Roodnick, on 14 October 2015 - 10:13 AM, said:

Im glad you guys brought this up, apologies I didn't get to your questions. Several different artists/contractors painted patterns over the course of mechwarriors lifetime, each bringing their own styles. This created inconsistency in both pattern shape and quality. To counteract this I developed a tool for creating some of the more abstract patterns mathematically. With this new tool, patterns like vagabond, woodland and will retain the same style and proportionality with mathematical precision without ever repeating a shape (retaining variation). Some of my least favorite paint jobs are the old vagabonds, and intend to go back and bring them up to our current standards. Newer mechs like the blackknight have this treatment on them check it out.

But... I like the old vagabond patterns. The old vagabond on the Catapult mechs is one of my favorite patterns. Besides the Shadowcat I think the quality of the new vagabond patterns has declindes and they are to inhomogene. On some extremeties or areas of the mechs there are to big blotches of one color which does not break the mechs silhoutte. And on some extremeties or areas the blotches are to small and/or thin so they do not break the mechs silhoutte either. Onsome mechs it is hard to tell apart the new Vagabond and new TigerStripe patterns.

I also like the old 3 color Woodland patterns more than the new 4 color Woodland patterns where it is very anoying to have to toy around with that 4th color that can not really be chosen but instead does depend on one of the three colors. The new Woodland patterns besides this 4th color do also suffer from the same symptoms like Vagabond does. There are inhomogenities of the blotches so some areas are whole covered in only one color, while others have to thin/small blotches and both does not fullfill a camos job of breaking a vehicles silhoutte.

Pure randomness in generating those patterns may cause those problems as military camo patterns have a fix regularity. For example looking at the three color NATO pattern you can see that the black areas are continuous across the whole vehicle from top over the sides to the ground and filled with green areas inbetween. Like dark gaps in foliage or bushes. In these green areas there are smaller brown areas (adjecent to the black areas), which sometimes connect one black stripe to the other but never break them! Like soil/earth in between the foliage and gap pattern.

So maybe when calculating those camo patterns it should go some kind like this:
Paint whole mech green.
Create black areas from top to bottom of mech (kind of throwing a very bulky spidernet or octopus on top of the mech)
Then fill some percentage of the green areas between the black areas (spidernet/octopusfeet) with brown blotches which may connect from one to another arm of the black areas but never breaking them.

I really think the idea of automating pattern generation is a great idea which hopefully does lift some work of your shoulders. But when generating patterns there needs to be a certain regularity and laws because camo patterns are not purely random.

And pretty please can we have both woodland patterns once the automation does work? I loved the old woodland pattern as I really like the 3 color NATO camo and miss it on the new mechs.

Also I do miss the old Vagabond which was some kind of wavy fishnet pattern outlined in a second color on a third color base. Maybe we can have both kinds of Vagabond to?

And as three is a charm... I would love to get the old polygone camo pattern like on the initially released Wave I Invasion mechs back on all mechs. The evenly coverage of the mechs with all three colors in area and shapesize was perfect there! And got worse with the new mechs, when looking a the Raven mech it has become a completely different pattern and also on the Shadow Cat it more looks like painting jagged stripes of two colors on a third color background.

This has become a long post and I do not want to sound nagy but try to offer some constructive Ideas and that you understand the military paint job fans in the MWO community. We are crazy about those real life military patterns that have been around for more than half a century with all it's little details and as you have the power to offer those in MWO you are my heroes! It is so great to get some insight on your jobs, challenges and the tools you use to create the mechs. Thank you for that and I hope this kind of close relation to the community proceeds. :)

Edited by Ryoken, 16 October 2015 - 04:51 AM.

#58 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

Well done again. MWO is gorgeous and all the artists are to be commended. The interview with the artists was informative and Tina is a talented moderator.

It just needed an appearance by Viona and it wouldve been perfect.

#59 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:00 PM

I know the talks of polygon to pixle density were used to hand wave things, but lets get some consistancy.

Also LOTS OF WASTED space, duplication of texture files and un-needed stuff in the entire file system. Just cleaning up the files and removing un-needed files will reduce the size of the game a little as well.

But I still firmly stand by my statements, that all DIF, RGB, and SPC files for all mechs need to be noramalized to 2k, and furthermore a CVAR command modification to the texture options.

Currently.
[default]
; default of this CVarGroup
= 3

r_DynTexAtlasCloudsMaxSize = 32
r_DynTexAtlasSpritesMaxSize = 32
r_DynTexMaxSize = 80
r_EnvCMResolution = 2
r_EnvTexResolution = 3
r_EnvTexUpdateInterval = 0.1
r_ImposterRatio = 1
r_TexSkyResolution = 0
r_TexAtlasSize = 2048
r_TexMinAnisotropy = 8
r_TexBumpResolution = 0
r_TexResolution = 0
r_TexturesStreaming = 0
r_VegetationSpritesTexRes = 64

[1]
r_DynTexAtlasCloudsMaxSize = 16
r_DynTexAtlasSpritesMaxSize = 16
r_DynTexMaxSize = 50
r_ImposterRatio = 2
r_EnvCMResolution = 0
r_EnvTexResolution = 1
r_TexAtlasSize = 512
r_TexBumpResolution = 2
r_TexResolution = 2
r_TexSkyResolution = 1
r_EnvTexUpdateInterval = 1

[2]
r_DynTexAtlasCloudsMaxSize = 24
r_DynTexMaxSize = 60
r_EnvCMResolution = 1
r_EnvTexResolution = 2
r_TexBumpResolution = 1
r_TexResolution = 1
r_ImposterRatio = 1.5
r_EnvTexUpdateInterval = 0.5

[3]

[4]

Needs to be modified too

[default]
; default of this CVarGroup
= 3

r_DynTexAtlasCloudsMaxSize = 32
r_DynTexAtlasSpritesMaxSize = 32
r_DynTexMaxSize = 80
r_EnvCMResolution = 2
r_EnvTexResolution = 3
r_EnvTexUpdateInterval = 0.1
r_ImposterRatio = 1
r_TexSkyResolution = 0
[]r_TexAtlasSize = 1024
r_TexMinAnisotropy = 8
r_TexBumpResolution = 0
r_TexResolution = 0
r_TexturesStreaming = 0
r_VegetationSpritesTexRes = 64

[1]
r_DynTexAtlasCloudsMaxSize = 16
r_DynTexMaxSize = 50
r_ImposterRatio = 2
r_EnvCMResolution = 0
r_EnvTexResolution = 1
r_TexAtlasSize = 256
r_TexBumpResolution = 2
r_TexResolution = 2
r_TexSkyResolution = 1
r_EnvTexUpdateInterval = 1

[2]
r_DynTexAtlasCloudsMaxSize = 24
r_DynTexMaxSize = 60
r_EnvCMResolution = 1
r_EnvTexResolution = 2
r_TexAtlasSize = 512
r_TexBumpResolution = 1
r_TexResolution = 1
r_ImposterRatio = 1.5
r_EnvTexUpdateInterval = 0.5

[3]

[4]
r_TexAtlasSize = 2048

#60 Cataclysm315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 217 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:38 AM

Glad you guys are continuing to work hard on this! I hope this game stays alive for many more years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users