- - - - -

How Does Armor Quirk Work?

7 replies to this topic

#1 CTsai

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:31 AM

It might have been asked before but I'm a little lazy to look through search, so here goes:

For example:
The CN9 series can have a maximum of 32 points of armor on its left arm.
They also have a universal +16 LA armor quirk. If I max out the armor on the left arm, would it have a total of 48 points of armor or is it capped at 32 points?

#2 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

Yes, the armour quirks are additional armour to what is installed. This means that you would have 48 points of armour on the left arm if you installed the full 32 points possible. If you installed 0 points, then your arm would have 16 points of armour, however Im not sure that this will be visible in the target information, it would just take 16 additional damage to destroy the arm.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:54 AM

View PostCTsai, on 14 October 2015 - 12:31 AM, said:

It might have been asked before but I'm a little lazy to look through search, so here goes:

For example:
The CN9 series can have a maximum of 32 points of armor on its left arm.
They also have a universal +16 LA armor quirk. If I max out the armor on the left arm, would it have a total of 48 points of armor or is it capped at 32 points?

Depends on how the quirk is stated.
"Additional Armor" means exactly that. If the Centurion says it has a +16 Additional Armor quirk for the left arm, then it's your set armor + 16. If you put in 20 armor it's 20 + 16 = 36. If you put in 32 it is 32 + 16 = 48. And if you put in 0 it is 0 + 16 = 16.

All of this is at no additional weight cost.

Now if the quirk reads "Armor Strength," it will have a percentage (%). This means that whatever you set + X% = what you get.
Armor strength usually reads 20% through 45%. So if you put 0, then 0 + 20% = 0. If you put 16 then 16 + 20% = 19.2 armor. 32 + 20% = 38.4 armor. Those same things with 45% are respectively (0) = 0. (16) = 23.2. (32) + 46.4. So the more armor you wear the better your result. Increasing returns.

Mind you armor strength is usually on heavy and assault mechs, and on Light mech legs. On light mech legs the reasoning is obvious, to encourage you to go as heavy with the armor as possible instead of skimping them.

Additional armor is on mostly mediums, some lights, heavies and very few assaults.

I hope this answers your question thoroughly.

#4 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:21 AM

One more question: how does that bonus work for torso armor? If I have, say, 76 points available on my HGN-732B, and I leave it stock (56/20 front/back), where does that 19 armor go? Is it wherever needs it, in which case I'd have 39 points of back armor if something big hit me in the back? Obviously (I think), once it gets used, it's gone, and you don't get 19 points of bonus armor to front and back.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:29 AM

View PostTorezu, on 14 October 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

One more question: how does that bonus work for torso armor? If I have, say, 76 points available on my HGN-732B, and I leave it stock (56/20 front/back), where does that 19 armor go? Is it wherever needs it, in which case I'd have 39 points of back armor if something big hit me in the back? Obviously (I think), once it gets used, it's gone, and you don't get 19 points of bonus armor to front and back.

Front, exclusively for all torso sections.

Again if Additional Armor, then it's your armor + the additional armor to front.
If it's Armor Strength, it's your armor + percentage of the amount of Front Armor allocated to the Front, is added to the front.

A mech with high additional front armor can last quite a long time if you add more armor to the back.

Also "Gone" as in destroyed by the enemy in a sortie? Correct it doesn't regenerate during a mission.

All armor (even quirked armor) is repaired after each mission.

#6 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:39 AM

Interesting to note. I guess it would say Rear RT if there were bonus armor on the back. And yes, I meant that mission. Though I wouldn't mind if R&R were put back in to some degree or another. Or just repair - ammo could be free.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostTorezu, on 14 October 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

Interesting to note. I guess it would say Rear RT if there were bonus armor on the back. And yes, I meant that mission. Though I wouldn't mind if R&R were put back in to some degree or another. Or just repair - ammo could be free.

I would love R&R too, but I wouldn't want to see it without a division of weapon damage (and halfing armor/structure) so that weapons deal stated damage in a 10 second period. >.> Then repairs won't be an eyesore.... nor would instantly dying from a CT shot as a light.

#8 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 14 October 2015 - 12:55 AM, said:

However Im not sure that this will be visible in the target information.

I've tried this out by running quirked 'Mechs with no armor. Your 'Mech's damage readout shows no armor until you've taken some damage to the quirked section, at which point it shows lightly damaged armor. So if you take a PPC/Gauss salvo to a quirked section of a 'Mech, glance at your damage readout and it shows minimal damage, what that ACTUALLY means is that you've lost your base armor and are now down to slightly damaged quirk armor. Derp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users