#21 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

Oh: There's some inuendo 'bout OCCT being the preferred tool for AMD O/Cs.

Set it to run 1.5 hours, with one minutes at the start, and three at the end, to create contrast on the graphs this thing puts out.

Large Data Set would seem the most interesting test, but there's a tab for beating on the PSU, by running up both CPU and GPU …

#22 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

View PostGoose, on 15 October 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

You suspect the gpu after everything I've tried? Its downloaded. I'm downloading the latest driver from nvidia to replace the windows default one (tested working) so that I have open GL1.2 or greater and then I can test the gtx280s some more, I guess.

View PostGoose, on 15 October 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

Oh: There's some inuendo 'bout OCCT being the preferred tool for AMD O/Cs.
Set it to run 1.5 hours, with one minutes at the start, and three at the end, to create contrast on the graphs this thing puts out.
Large Data Set would seem the most interesting test, but there's a tab for beating on the PSU, by running up both CPU and GPU …

Good to know, and worth a shot... Though I have tried another (known working) cpu as well as 2 different power supplies. I suppose maybe the boards power delivery system has an issue though. Ill give it a shot if this re-install plan doesn't work.

EDIT: The MSI logo is sooooo fuzzy :D Ran it for 20 minutes at 85C. This GTX280 works perfectly.

Edited by Kaptain, 15 October 2015 - 01:54 PM.

#23 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:41 PM

View PostKaptain, on 15 October 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

I'm downloading the latest driver from nvidia …

Which can't mean what you think it does, as 340.52 is the last driver listed on Guru3d to support 200s.

Edited by Goose, 15 October 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#24 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

What should it mean to me?

341.81 from Nvida lists the GTX280 and the entire gtx2xx series family as supported. That't the latest drive they suggest when entering card type and operating system...

Supported Products
GeForce 200 Series
[color=#EEEEEE]GeForce GTX 295, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce GTX 280, GeForce GTX 275, GeForce GTX 260, GeForce GTS 250, GeForce GTS 240, GeForce GT 230, GeForce GT 240, GeForce GT 220, GeForce G210, GeForce 210, GeForce 205[/color]

http://www.geforce.c...s/results/89879

Currently ingame on said gtx280 with said drivers getting 50fps on medium...

Edited by Kaptain, 15 October 2015 - 02:05 PM.

#25 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

Don't know it: Guru3D jumps to 344.11, next …

#26 Manthor

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:12 PM

personally, I'd wipe the drive. fresh start.

but first, do latest motherboard bios update. but not the beta one. depending on the revision of the 970a board you have, it's (1.0/1.1/1.2 F8f beta, but F7 stable or 3.0 FDe beta FC stable)

also note down clock settings for the hyper X ram. (get exact specs from kingstons website for your product code on the sticks)

double check the gforce cards power cabling. if it requires a 4, 6 or 8-pin power plug and it's not there, underpowered GPU = crash.

check the hard drives ROM version. it may need updating.

once that's all done. reboot and enter bios. set bios defaults. reboot and enter bios. only change that which you have to for the hyper X RAM.

boot the win7U disc and dump the HD partition. create a new one using defaults and let Windows install.
setup your internet connection and install video driver from NVidia.com. (or get Gforce experience from gforce.com and let it find latest drivers.)
install only the drivers you need to get ALL your hardware installed that have yellow (!) in device manager.
run windows update and add the 'recommended software' option to get all updates and let it run and update a few times (remember to select the recommended updates as they appear) (also remember to un-install the Win10 upgraded update and hide it forever)

only then would I try MWO. and make sure to get the 64 bit version.

forget the driver update programs. they are not needed.

if it still fails while other games run fine, contact support and let them sort it out. it's in their programming.

Edited by Manthor, 15 October 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#27 Manthor

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:21 PM

one more thought, if your login screen is the same as mine. it starts windowed and switches to full screen once logged in.

right when yours crashes. most likely this is the point the full power of the GPU is needed. which makes me think of the GPU power cable. however, I would expect other games would crash without it too.

#28 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

View PostManthor, on 15 October 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

personally, I'd wipe the drive. fresh start.

but first, do latest motherboard bios update. but not the beta one. depending on the revision of the 970a board you have, it's (1.0/1.1/1.2 F8f beta, but F7 stable or 3.0 FDe beta FC stable)

also note down clock settings for the hyper X ram. (get exact specs from kingstons website for your product code on the sticks)

double check the gforce cards power cabling. if it requires a 4, 6 or 8-pin power plug and it's not there, underpowered GPU = crash.

check the hard drives ROM version. it may need updating.

once that's all done. reboot and enter bios. set bios defaults. reboot and enter bios. only change that which you have to for the hyper X RAM.

boot the win7U disc and dump the HD partition. create a new one using defaults and let Windows install.
setup your internet connection and install video driver from NVidia.com. (or get Gforce experience from gforce.com and let it find latest drivers.)
install only the drivers you need to get ALL your hardware installed that have yellow (!) in device manager.
run windows update and add the 'recommended software' option to get all updates and let it run and update a few times (remember to select the recommended updates as they appear) (also remember to un-install the Win10 upgraded update and hide it forever)

only then would I try MWO. and make sure to get the 64 bit version.

forget the driver update programs. they are not needed.

if it still fails while other games run fine, contact support and let them sort it out. it's in their programming.

Thank you for your assistance.

-Bios is latest non beta available. There are only 2 available for my Rev 2.0.
-Memory was downclocked and voltage/timings verified using both bios and cpu-z
-I have also tried other known working memory though I did not downclock it.
-I have also tried only one stick (2nd) of the hyper X
-Bios is running defaults.
-The corsair power cables (it takes 2x8 PCIe btw) look fine and have been seated and reseated many times. This power supply has been powering this rig, with this card, for the last 2 years. I did try an antec 850 that was powering a gtx780ti prior to being retired to my media center. Same problem with both of them. The corsair cx600 delivers 46amps on the +12 volt rail. The recommended amperage for that card is 40+ amps on the +12.

The bios ROM idea is a very good one... No idea how to do that... A little help please?

Windows is installed and updated and the game is installed... It thinks XInput1_3.dll is missing... Which should have been installed along with directX, and the video drivers, and the windows updates AND the game... Note: When I tried running the Direct X (9c and 11) installers they told me they could not complete as I already had the latest version, or something like that. DX diag thinks I have the latest version and that it is working correctly.

Anyways uninstalled the game using revo uninstaller medium settings... Working on downloading it and steam again. I am also going to dig out my old copy of Crisis one and test with 3Dmark.

Ugh.

EDIT: OH, and support has given up on me it sounds like. I emailed them the files they requested, no response. Emailed them again today, no response.

Edited by Kaptain, 15 October 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#29 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:05 PM

https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=8109

Use the redistribution version June 2010, tis the last time directx 9c was updated. You can get different dx9c websetup versions, such as the version that was linked in a previous post (2007 version). Each version is specific to that particular build, the older webupdates do not include the newer stuff.

#30 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 15 October 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=8109

Use the redistribution version June 2010, tis the last time directx 9c was updated. You can get different dx9c websetup versions, such as the version that was linked in a previous post (2007 version). Each version is specific to that particular build, the older webupdates do not include the newer stuff.

Thank you. If the error comes up again after re-install I will try that. Though that looks like a very similar program. The problem I had was that the dx installer program would run and then refuse to install anything as it detected everything was up to date. Which makes sense. Usually one gets their direct X from the video driver install.

#31 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

Always look for version 9.29.1974 for both redistribution and the websetup version.

The redistribution will install all dx9c files, not just the missing ones. I use it if I suspect corrupted dx 9c files. Always keep it handy cause the web base installer can get funky at times but unpacking and running the redistribution package will always install/reinstall without getting that message the dxwebsetups give and not doing anything.

Took lot of looking cause MS has some misdirected links but the Web setup installer, which the initial download is small then it only replaces any dx 9c missing files.

https://www.microsof...-9CA5F2BCBDFC=1

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 15 October 2015 - 09:32 PM.

#32 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:54 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 15 October 2015 - 08:45 PM, said:

Always look for version 9.29.1974 for both redistribution and the websetup version.

The redistribution will install all dx9c files, not just the missing ones. I use it if I suspect corrupted dx 9c files. Always keep it handy cause the web base installer can get funky at times but unpacking and running the redistribution package will always install/reinstall without getting that message the dxwebsetups give and not doing anything.

Took lot of looking cause MS has some misdirected links but the Web setup installer, which the initial download is small then it only replaces any dx 9c missing files.

https://www.microsof...-9CA5F2BCBDFC=1

Awesome, thank you.

Just tested Contagion (heavily modified source engine) and Crysis Warhead patch 1.2 (cry engine one) and they both workd fine. Still downloading MWO... again.

EDIT: Just scored P23004 in 3d mark vantage with the 770 installed.

Edited by Kaptain, 15 October 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#33 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:06 AM

Also make sure to run MWO with admin privileges, especially if you are using default installation/location.

#34 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:30 AM

[face-palms]
In your user.cfg (placed in the install directory)
sys_budget_videomem = x
Where "x" is your cards' VRAM

Edited by Goose, 16 October 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#35 Manthor

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:37 PM

hard drive bios update would be done with a WD supplied software. Seagate has tools to do it and find the latest bios for their drives. I thought Western digital drives came out of their factory. but search the model of your drive and firmware update on google to see if there is anything out there for it.

noticed that there is a 'APR2007_xinput_x86' cab file in the 'DirectX9.0c' folder in the MWO install folder. I never put it there, so MWO did.

never used revo uninstaller, but I have never trusted third party uninstallers to remove registry entries correctly. I just use 'programs and features' in control panel.

I have a GTX550Ti GPU and intel I7 2600k in a gigabyte mobo. runs like a dream.
I wonder if it's just an AMD thing... no Fx CPU updates for WIn7_64bit? I know there was for much older AMD CPU's back in WinXP early days.

anyway, good luck. hope you sort this out.

#36 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:23 PM

Update.... IT WORKS! :D

The latest re-install seems to have done the trick. I still need to swap video cards, install the wireless card AND clone the drive but it works! Thank you everyone!

I have a green (power saver enabled) profile for 4.5ghz (5+ hours so far, will try that other tool and longer runs)
A red profile at 4.7 (playable and bench-able but not tested atm)
Score P26960 in vantage (770+4.7red)

I was very disappointed at-first as the performance was poor (considering the 770) but quickly discovered 3 of the 6 fx "cores" were parking. A little research into that and I found the hot fixes from Microsoft, all it well now. With my gtx770/6600k@4.5 I am seeing green FPS on high (looks to average around 80 but have not recorded it yet) with textures and object detail on very high, 1080p.

I am a bit disappointed in Gigabyte though. This board does not have an option to lock PCIe at 100mhz nor does it have speed spectrum control. I suppose there is a possibility that adjustments to the base clock automatically lock the PCIe Buss at 100mhz but I need some way of monitoring it. Anyone know of any tools that can see PCIe Buss Frequency from windows?

Thank you all again for your help! My buddy is going to be very pleased (esp once he gets a new video card) :)

EDIT: This board also claims to be able to control the CPU speed via voltage instead of pwm... that feature does not exist.

Edited by Kaptain, 17 October 2015 - 12:24 AM.

#37 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:47 AM

View PostKaptain, on 16 October 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

I am a bit disappointed in Gigabyte though. This board does not have an option to lock PCIe at 100mhz nor does it have speed spectrum control. I suppose there is a possibility that adjustments to the base clock automatically lock the PCIe Buss at 100mhz but I need some way of monitoring it. Anyone know of any tools that can see PCIe Buss Frequency from windows?

EDIT: This board also claims to be able to control the CPU speed via voltage instead of pwm... that feature does not exist.

Probably means cpu fan speed.

Pcie should be in the windows power plan, called link state power management, can turn it off.

Edited by Flapdrol, 17 October 2015 - 02:47 AM.

#38 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:37 AM

If want to really help with the cores, grab Process Lasso. It is free, you just have to deal with a splash screen countdown for 20 sec when you reboot. Works wonders for AMD FX CPUs.

https://bitsum.com/processlasso/

#39 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:15 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 17 October 2015 - 02:47 AM, said:

Probably means cpu fan speed.

Sorry, I meant cpu fan speed. This board Is supposed to support 3 pin fans... but it does not. I have looked at videos of this bios/eufi and despite the manual claiming this feature exists in eufi... it does not. The bios version looks to have far more features :(

Everything is finally done. Just ordered a EVGA 760 2gb ATX off of ebay to complete it. Sounds like the owner will be buying a small SSD (kingston 128gb look like decent performance/price) for it in the near future. Will report back on performance once these upgrades comes in.

Edited by Kaptain, 18 October 2015 - 12:15 AM.

#40 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:40 PM

Are you running MWO in 64bit or 32? Might try switching that up and seeing if it helps.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users