#21 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 14 October 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

Okay, if that is the case, then ECM is just about ******* useless now. lol

ECM will still delay - Locks and Info. So yeah much less useful, but it shouldn't have been a god box in the first place.

View PostcSand, on 14 October 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

Making BAP, or TC and CC mitigate the "no-lock-range-decrease" would be a great addition

Also, I can smell a module for this coming a mile away

I believe per the notes, that is exactly what the counters we have do actually.

#22 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:03 PM

I'm looking forward to testing this.

Part of the reason I don't play much is because in the current laser vomit alpha strike warrior, to poke your head up for more than a second is to remove 50% of the armor on a torso because of hit scan lasers. That's call of duty, not battletech.

This imechanic isn't perfect, but outside of RNG, there isn't a whole lot you can do to address the problem.

Get a spotter if you want to boat ERLLs.

#23 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

View PostKraftwerkedup, on 14 October 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

If we can mount CCs and TCs to get rid of the effects...maaaaybe ill live with it.

Otherwise its a right trash idea first of all, and badly implemented at that. Goes waaaay overboard, and on weapons that it doesnt need it...like Small lasers?

66 meter small lasers?

Come the hell on.

Just to point out:

IS Small Laser, Max is 270m, optimal 135m, which puts the .6 range for targeting to matter at 162m.

The only thing that I see that would be sub-100 for the targeting requirement to kick in would be the Flamer (54m).

#24 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

Can confirm - you can R/target to full range on ecm immediately. Info does take a second.

#25 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

Get a spotter?

In puglife?

Is that a serious suggestion?

View PostFoxfire, on 14 October 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

Just to point out:

IS Small Laser, Max is 270m, optimal 135m, which puts the .6 range for targeting to matter at 162m.

The only thing that I see that would be sub-100 for the targeting requirement to kick in would be the Flamer (54m).

It might have been SPL...meh bad. McGral did the research.

#26 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

View Postsycocys, on 14 October 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

Can confirm - you can R/target to full range on ecm immediately. Info does take a second.

RIP ECM

Seriously, its done. I'm sure the Hellbringer Prime left torso will still get nuked from orbit as if ECM still was the god box.

#27 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 14 October 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to testing this.

Part of the reason I don't play much is because in the current laser vomit alpha strike warrior, to poke your head up for more than a second is to remove 50% of the armor on a torso because of hit scan lasers. That's call of duty, not battletech.

This imechanic isn't perfect, but outside of RNG, there isn't a whole lot you can do to address the problem.

Get a spotter if you want to boat ERLLs.

It's actually very interesting man. Most of the "nerf" from not targeting is immediately withdrawn with one button, but it actually forces players to vie for position and plan their attack.

#28 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostKraftwerkedup, on 14 October 2015 - 04:05 PM, said:

Get a spotter?

In puglife?

Is that a serious suggestion?

It might have been SPL...meh bad. McGral did the research.

Ahh, I just double checked. He would be right. The original post from PGI said Maximum but they have gone back and edited it to Optimal range, which puts the Small laser at 86m and Small pulse at 66m. I agree that that is too restrictive.

*edits to add the corrected quote from the PGI post*

Weapon and targeting reticle mechanics when target is not locked

• The targeting reticle will no longer flash when a hit is detected on a ‘Mech that is not target-locked.
  • Lasers will not do full damage when striking a ‘Mech that is not target-locked from a range greater than 60% of the Laser’s Optimal Range.
    • The original post text here referred to "...60% of the Laser's Maximum Range", which was not correct.

Edited by Foxfire, 14 October 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#29 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

No it doesnt force them.

It encourages them.

Which being that its a game, and were human, it will go the path of least resistance. People will play the way they played before, get frustrated, blame other people, log off, or move on to whatever the new meta is.

No ones going to suddenly become an uber warrior because of this change. No one is going to communicate more, or act more like a team.

Premades who know each other, on TS, will adapt, because thats the path of least resistance for them. Everyone else will just play normally, as they always have, and boat something else.

Edited by Kraftwerkedup, 14 October 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#30 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:10 PM

ECM will still have uses. It just will be much different and much less powerful than what we know it as since its boinked implementation. Seriously is not a bad thing.

It's just not going to be a laser/total information denial shield anymore. Which it should have been anyhow.

#31 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:12 PM

ECM is really going to depend on where they go from here as far as information gathering goes.

I think that it is a good first step as long as they continue to make changes along the lines of what they have and are hinting at with regards to sensor ranges and the functionality of target and target information acquisition.

#32 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:14 PM

View PostKraftwerkedup, on 14 October 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

No it doesnt force them.

It encourages them.

Which being that its a game, and were human, it will go the path of least resistance. People will play the way they played before, get frustrated, blame other people, log off, or move on to whatever the new meta is.

No ones going to suddenly become an uber warrior because of this change. No one is going to communicate more, or act more like a team.

Premades who know each other, on TS, will adapt, because thats the path of least resistance for them. Everyone else will just play normally, as they always have, and boat something else.

To each their own, this direction show a lot of promise for making the game interesting and more Mechwarrior/BT for everyone else that wants something more than generic FPS.

#33 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 October 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

This is the exact mentality that's the problem.

You're basically saying that the end justifies the means, that you will support absolutely ANY change that reduces laser effectiveness, regardless of whether or not the change makes sense.

everything would be fine if they just fixed heat to cap lower and dissipate faster... but noooooo, we get ECM forceshield instead... :(

#34 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:21 PM

View Postsycocys, on 14 October 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

Yes - worked exactly like that. There is no delay once you hit R, you have full range on that target and ECM didn't delay that at all.

Dropping again - only modules I'm adding are the MPL ones. No mech modules and I don't have bap on the DK. Let you know after it finds me another match.

That's because there is no delay for target acquisition on the PTS right now.
Don't steer people in the wrong.

The Target Acquisition Rate for all ‘Mechs during this test phase is 0 seconds.

#35 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:22 PM

View PostKira Onime, on 14 October 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

That's because there is no delay for target acquisition on the PTS right now.
Don't steer people in the wrong.

Is that what we are talking about or the info gathering? Because I thought ECM had a delay in target acquisition as well but that doesn't seem to affect this.

#36 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:24 PM

View Postsycocys, on 14 October 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

To each their own, this direction show a lot of promise for making the game interesting and more Mechwarrior/BT for everyone else that wants something more than generic FPS.

Passive and active radar and fixing convergence would be more MW and BT.

*sigh*

#37 Ex Atlas Overlord

• Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:24 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 14 October 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

Ecm sure doesnt seam to matter much anymore if everyone can still spot you by a red box :)

Does it still help protect you from missles?

Yes?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

#38 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:25 PM

Yeah see, they said this:

The Target Acquisition Delay caused by ECM for all ‘Mechs during this test phase is 3 seconds.

Sounds like target acquisition delay does not affect laser range.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 14 October 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#39 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 14 October 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

Is that what we are talking about or the info gathering? Because I thought ECM had a delay in target acquisition as well but that doesn't seem to affect this.

Well if it's anything like it sounds, remember the first PTS where it would take a couple of seconds before even being given the option to lock?
That should come back.

#40 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:33 PM

View PostKira Onime, on 14 October 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

Well if it's anything like it sounds, remember the first PTS where it would take a couple of seconds before even being given the option to lock?
That should come back.

Ah I think that is called sensor scan time or something. That is a different parameter, unknown if they will bring that back into it.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users