The Urbanmech. Why and why not?

396 replies to this topic

#121 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Well this is a surprise...except for a the Commando C1 variant, the Urbie and the Jackrabbit i couldn't find a single light mech with a ballistic weapon bigger than an MG that is available before 3049.

What do you guys make of this?

Edited by Spleenslitta, 09 July 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#122 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 09 July 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

Well this is a surprise...except for a the Commando C1 variant, the Urbie and the Jackrabbit i couldn't find a single light mech with a ballistic weapon bigger than an MG that is available before 3049.

Lights don't have the tonnage for the weight intensive ballistic weapons.

#123 Odweaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 09 July 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

And the Commando variant was an experiment and the jackrabbit only had one variant before the wobbie version.

This is one of the main arguments for the urbie is the distinct lack of AC goodness in the light category for the game year.

#124 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

In a few years we get an epic ballistic light, the Hollander.

#125 Vaktor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 271 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

I would hate to see a urbie take the place of another mech in the start of the game but when we get a good spread of mechs why not release a joke mech...

That's right, I called it a joke mech!

#126 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

View PostOdweaver, on 09 July 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

And the Commando variant was an experiment and the jackrabbit only had one variant before the wobbie version.

This is one of the main arguments for the urbie is the distinct lack of AC goodness in the light category for the game year.

Seems we will have to use the weapon slots we get from MG's to mount bigger ballistic weaponry in the mechlab then.
Oh well...it only affects me when on open area maps since i will experiment heavily with the AC 2 there.

View PostVaktor, on 09 July 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

I would hate to see a urbie take the place of another mech in the start of the game but when we get a good spread of mechs why not release a joke mech...

That's right, I called it a joke mech!

I wouldn't say it's a joke mech and i'm not a particular fan of the Urbie. I'm going to play a bit in the Remlab to see if i can make an Urbie that would command some respect on the battlefield while being fast enough to compare to some medium mechs.

#127 SpeedingBus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

You know why urban mech will never see light is because of gameplay issues there's no good reason to make a mech that can only camp and do absolutely nothing else, This mech isn't going to be fun to play for majority of players either so why waste developer money when they could bring some unseen mechs into this game instead of a mech that just camps and is boring.

#128 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I played about a bit to prove to Vaktor and SpeedingBus that the Urbie is a real Battlemech and not just a joke or a camping mech.
Here is the result.

Removed all the weapons and the jump jets. Put in an std fusion 180 engine bringing the speed up into 6/9 (97Kph max running speed).
Endo steel internals and 5 tons of std armor.
Mounted an AC 5 with 2 tons of ammo and a CASE and 1 medium laser as a backup weapon.

This trashcan may not have a wide assortment of weapons but it can bite really hard if you pop in and out of cover all the time.
I didn't even have to resort to an XL engine to bring it's speed up into acceptable levels for a light mech.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 09 July 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#129 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 09 July 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

I played about a bit to prove to Vaktor and SpeedingBus that the Urbie is a real Battlemech and not just a joke or a camping mech.
Here is the result.

Removed all the weapons and the jump jets. Put in an std fusion 180 engine bringing the speed up into 6/9 (97Kph max running speed).
Endo steel internals and 5 tons of std armor.
Mounted an AC 5 with 2 tons of ammo and a CASE and 1 medium laser as a backup weapon.

This trashcan may not have a wide assortment of weapons but it can bite really hard if you pop in and out of cover all the time.
I didn't even have to resort to an XL engine to bring it's speed up into acceptable levels for a light mech.

Congrats you made a whole new mech, that is not an Urbanmech at all, I do not know of a single variant to ever go faster than the usual 32kph excluding the Urbanmech IIC. That is just a normal light mech, not an urbanmech,

#130 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

6/9 is respectable for the Urbie. I think you just made the case bullet proof. Lack of imagination to customize the Urbie is not an excuse to exclude it from the game. Case closed. GG

#131 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 09 July 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

6/9 is respectable for the Urbie. I think you just made the case bullet proof. Lack of imagination to customize the Urbie is not an excuse to exclude it from the game. Case closed. GG

#132 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostDamascas, on 09 July 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

The Mechlab exists for a reason other than picking predefined variants, you know ...

#133 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

View PostDamascas, on 09 July 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

Congrats you made a whole new mech, that is not an Urbanmech at all, I do not know of a single variant to ever go faster than the usual 32kph excluding the Urbanmech IIC. That is just a normal light mech, not an urbanmech,

It is an Urbanmech because MW:O will have a mechlab. The mechlab makes the Urbie a fully viable mech.
And what if the arm that normaly houses the small laser is capable of mounting a large laser or PPC. I could make it even faster then and give it's jump jets back.

You wouldn't be laughing at the ol' Urbie then.....Fact is that i'm not a member of the Urbanites and yet i will defend the Urbie because it's a canon battlemech and it deserves some recognision.

#134 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

I recognize it, I respect it, however, it is a niche mech. It is slow, expendable, and when you cannot see more than 90 meters in any direction there are probably 12 of them stacked around the next corner with their ACs set to 'rapid-fire' hoping you are an assault mech so they can tell everyone how they killed you. It is just not a line battlemech though and I think that all mechs in this game should be viable in their stock variant.

#135 LilMookie

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

I hope they add urbies into the game, but ONLY if they add a hatchetman or Axman into the game to. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to cut those littel beer can mechs in half.

#136 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostLilMookie, on 09 July 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

I hope they add urbies into the game, but ONLY if they add a hatchetman or Axman into the game to. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to cut those littel beer can mechs in half.

They have confirmed that at this time excluding DFA and ramming melee combat is not being considered for implementing in the near future.

#137 Saxophonist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

Urbanmech. A trash can with legs. Okay, in an urban scenario, MAYBE it might be useful. But in the open, it's just a fun target.

#138 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

"blah blah blah Urbanmech!" This may or may not have been said before, but here: Urbanmechs were built for a single purpose. Urban combat. In the current maps we have seen in the dev videos, it would be a terrible mech. In a very urban environment it might shine. Until there is an urban map that has the narrow corridors and 90 degree turns of an urban environment the urbanmech will be out of its element.
kthxbai.

#139 ownka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

At least from what I'm aware of, the devs have never indicated that there's going to be a BV system in this game, and I'm sorry to say this to the urbie fans but its just a bad mech if BV isnt incorporated. As someone else mentioned, if you swap out the ac20, upgrade the engines and do some tinkering it becomes passable, but at this point you've made a commando with much more limited hardpoints. There is no real upside to the little guy compared to another light mech.

#140 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

View PostDamascas, on 09 July 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

I recognize it, I respect it, however, it is a niche mech. It is slow, expendable, and when you cannot see more than 90 meters in any direction there are probably 12 of them stacked around the next corner with their ACs set to 'rapid-fire' hoping you are an assault mech so they can tell everyone how they killed you. It is just not a line battlemech though and I think that all mechs in this game should be viable in their stock variant.

It's slow when it has it's default engines yes....
I wouldn't use these reasons to cut the Urbie from getting introduced into the game. I would rather look at it's variants.
It only has two variants that are viable for 3049 and those two are very similar to the point that you can make the ordinary R60 into a R60L really quickly.

All the mechs that have been introduced so far into the game has had 3 or more viable variants.
The dev's did state at the bottom of one of the Q&A threads that they would bring in mechs that had less variants but they didn't give any specifics.
So unless the Urbie becomes such a mech we probably won't see it in MW:O.

As for the around every corner waits a camping light pilot that want's to crush an assault thingie: This will most likely happen even if they aren't piloting an Urbie.
There are several weapons that can be formidable in such a situation- SRMs, s/m std and pulse lasers, lot's of MG's or flamers.

40 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 40 guests, 0 anonymous users