The Urbanmech. Why and why not?

396 replies to this topic

#81 Adm Awesome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

Behemoth. Runs at the same speed but will make wreck your shop.

#82 CaptainZot

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:44 AM

Hey the game needs the urbanmech. Just imagine if we didn't compliment our Aircraft carriers and Destroyers etc., with all those guys riding around on a Sea-Doo with recoiless rifles. ... Well maybe that's not the best analogy. Ok, Just remember that the Germans in WW2 had King Tiger tanks AND those little motorcycles with sidecars and machine guns.

City Militia units need to be able to field a mech unit. Just think about those golf-cart sized Armored Vehicles that city police departments whip out when the Nakatomi Tower gets taken over by Severus Snape and the prison guards from Hogans Heros!

#83 PaintedWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

The crowd wants the Urbanmech- it is unwise to ignore the crowd.

#84 Jeffski

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNewbury, UK

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

Theres an aweful lot of trolling haters on this forum as with every one, I have no quibble with Urbies, they have their role - Urban Combat. It doesnt particularly suits my style of meching so I doubt I'll get one other than to test it out a bit if ive the spare c-bills. But i welcome its inclusion just because it'll add to the variety and another slice of the MW universe.

Like everything it comes down to using your mech where it excels, rather than charging off like lemmings, which you know will happen lots as everyone does! So it's slow as hell, but it does pack a punch in a AC20, how many light mechs can do that?! I see no reason for it not being able to down an atlas, personally ive killed one with a flea, one-on-one. So any mech used effectively can excel.

As for the trolls, its like treating animals at the zoo, dont feed the animals if your being trolled/hated on, ignore them like a bad child. Without the hate they feast on they wither and die.

#85 Sundiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:13 AM

I'm neither for nor against it. However, for those doubters. Urbans are designed to be ambush predators operating in a city environment with homefield advantage. Imagine a Urbie pilot raised in the city he's defending, knowing every alley and dead end street, working as part of lance with at least one other urbie possibly more.

They wait, quietly and patiently till your..whatever tonnage mech comes rumbling past then one steps out from an alley and shoots you in the back for 20 points. As you slow and finish your turn to engage it, it slowly steps back into the alley it attacked from. You, in your superior mech arrogance give chase, as you make your turn the Urbie that had been powered down in the alley opposite steps out and cores your back finishing the job. Before you scoff, 40 points in the back of any mech cores it out like an apple.

#86 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:16 AM

I just found funny the haters...

I mean C'mon you can bring some logic, yeah i know if we are figthing in a 12v12 random match Practically any mech it's better than the Urbie but ..

What if the metagame it's stuck with a limit tonnage.
Because i wanna see those Atlas vs Urban owns!! explain this scenario.

400 tonns limit

you take you Lyran Scout lance with 4x atlas!!!
enemy team takes his Trashcan LOL lances with 10x Urban mechs (Gauss refitted) and an Atlas for same tonnage.

I want to see how your Atlas survive 10x Gauss shots at once.

Also if you are in an Atlas and shooting the Trashcan, probably his friends are at your back shooting at your popper!!!

Edited by Lord Perversor, 09 July 2012 - 04:17 AM.

#87 PaintedWolf

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

View PostJeffski, on 09 July 2012 - 04:08 AM, said:

As for the trolls, its like treating animals at the zoo, dont feed the animals

How about feeding them zoo animals? Anyways now I want the Urbie too. Why NOT pick the Urbie? I mean R-2 D-2 is the Leader of the Rebellion!!!

#88 KageRyuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

A lot of the arguments for the Ubie end with a statement of their relatively low cost or BV and that since they have such a low cost or BV that one side would be able to field more of them. This is true on the TT, but so far the Devs have hinted at equal sided fights be it 4v4, 8v8, or 12v12. Now, theoretically if the Devs implemented some kind of BV system one could use the Urbie as filler to allow the rest of the unit to max out their mechs, but even in a scenario like that, the team with the Urbie is at a numerical disadvantage due entirely to the Urbie's speed, and if they wish to stick together, then they're reduced to running around at 30kph or so, which if you ask me, just doesn't sound fun for anybody.

Additionally given how close the Devs seem to be following the TT rules, one should consider the possibility that the turning rate (though perhaps not torso twist) of a mech is related to the engine like it is on the TT. In such a case, the Urbie would not only be slow to move but would be slow to turn as well, seeing as on the TT it costs MP to turn and at beast the Urbie only has 3, which only just allows it to make a 180 turn or move 1 hex through rough terrain, or 3 hexes through clear terrain, the Urbie would be at an even more significant disadvantage when fighting other mechs. Again, assuming that the engine is a factor and that terrain effects movement.

Regardless, there's no real good reason why it couldn't be included, however the likelihood of such an over specialized mech making it in the early cut is very very slim. Though if you really absolutely positively have to have it, you probably could make an Urbie-Jenner, seeing as it gives you 5 more tons to play around with. Though don't be surprised if you die over and over again and your team hates you because of it or that you get kicked out of your Merc Corp because of your incompetence.

I in no way shape or form support the UrbianMech being included in the game and only felt inclined to say the above to play the devil's advocate.

#89 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:13 AM

@Kage
If I was you and had to worry about getting your Atlas' skull caved in by a daring Urbie, then I would be totally against it as well.
Let's face it. Some pilots just know how to kick 4$$ and the Urbie adds humiliation to an unlikely victory against stronger Mechs.

#90 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:24 AM

It is a light mech with Autocannons and you can get pulse lasers for defense until you reload and it is perfect for urban scenes and it has Jump Jets.

EDIT: Also, let the fans of the Urbanmech use it, you guys stick to the Atlases (so unoriginal) or Awesome (a little unoriginal)

Edited by DavidHurricane, 09 July 2012 - 05:25 AM.

#91 Adm Awesome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:26 AM

I love how I spent way too much time, giving exact reasons why their tactics fail, and why there's definitely many others that can do their jobs much better, yet apparently we "haters" are "trolling" It's EXACTLY like bronies. You CAN'T argue against these guys, they are right, and if you disagree, then you're the bad guy. I'm not even gonna try anymore, because I'd be better off beating through a concrete wall with my bare hands than into a fanboys head.

Edited to removed derogatory language.

Edited by Viterbi, 09 July 2012 - 10:52 AM.
Removed derogatory language

#92 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

View PostAdm Awesome, on 09 July 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:

Behemoth. Runs at the same speed but will make wreck your shop.

Good luck w/ that. NO CLAN TECH RIGHT NOW.

#93 Adm Awesome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 09 July 2012 - 05:28 AM, said:

Good luck w/ that. NO CLAN TECH RIGHT NOW.

Cool story, I never said in MWO, I was playing MW4, and I'm saying in general.

did you really make an entire thread because of your little misunderstanding?

Edited by Adm Awesome, 09 July 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#94 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

View PostAdm Awesome, on 09 July 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

Cool story, I never said in MWO, I was playing MW4, and I'm saying in general.

OK. Just so you know.

#95 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

I do not want to see an Urbanmech used for quite awhile because I would rather see more consistently combat effective mechs instead of a niche mech which is known for being slaughtered mercilessly anywhere but the 1 region it was designed for use in. After we get a larger mech base then yes, I could see the urbanmech make an appearance and no doubt some players will master it to the point of making it an effective mech in most situations but still I do not want to see resources wasted on it this early in the development cycle.

#96 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

It's quite simple the Urbanmech it's an underdog, something most of ppl look down and laugh at it.

That mostly one of the reason so much ppl love it, consider it equal to the act of sneak behind a sniper/camper and knife him on 1st person shooters, it's not for efficiency mostly for the pleasure to think/say Ah.. but i killed you with this!!!

You can bring as many tactical or logic reasons to says there are better mechs, but on the same hand ppl will bing counter arguments.
As i stated above i can recognize that under current gameplay (12v12 deathmatch) he'll be hardly efficient but if those conditions change then he can become a real game turning and be way more decisive, despite his niche spot. (see above the 400 tons limit match i suggested)

#97 DarkendMoon

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMy Japanese garden being zenlike

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

Ok sick of the arguing here we go lets run scenarios :D.

Base defense - It could hold off the base from being taken for as long is it took him to die. Lighter mechs which is what would first be assaulting a bse would run circles around it and stay out of it's AC20 range. Ok you mod it to have an AC10 or AC5, guess what that light mech is no longer scarred of you at all and will still run circles around you and kill you.

Tonage Battles (Battles with a set tonage limit for your team) - This is the only roll I can think of the Urban Mech filling. If you have to many scouts already you could pop one of these in place and have it go in with an atlas or another slow heavy mech and support it. 1 The other mechs would have to take time to kill it allowing the other teammates to stay alive longer. It will do damage and has armor so it could take a little beating.

Assault - Useless couldn't keep up with faster moveing mechs and they would take you out before you could get to the base or urban area for cover.

Base defense - Where you hole team has to defend the base. Ok thought of another roll it might be ok in. If you don't have to move very far you can stay on base with everybody else and well defend the base. Replace your 20 with a 10 and pick at guys as they charge your base. Then again any other mech could do this as well and maybe better.

You could also make this the starter mech for when you first start playing. The default mech that everybody gets and they have to fight with it a bit to earn another better mech???

Edited by DarkendMoon, 09 July 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#98 DarkendMoon

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMy Japanese garden being zenlike

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

View PostAshla Mason, on 08 July 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

Vehicles in the games have gotten such a bad rap, especially when you consider that some of them can gut assault mechs in a hurry.

Like the devestator. nothing fast or flashy here, but 2 AC 20's and a crapton of armor make this 80 ton tank a prickly foe to deal with.

Or the Mars. People talk a lot about the timberwolf being the pinacle of clan tech, but this thing could eat a frikkin daishi for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I actually agree with this statement for most cases tanks or missile artillery would be fun to play dependent on the map. Here is the catch though in the mechwarrior universe there is a lot of unhospitable terreain that tanks would not be able to cross. Some planets had to have all there mechs pack jump jets. I guess you could pack one on a tank? Flying tanks now that would be crazy ><

#99 Ozric

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

There is no why, there is only Urbanmech.

#100 Mattrixx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 108 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:01 AM

Adm Awesome, don't despair.
I understand why you throw around the tactical advises you do about the Urbie.
And frankly it does look to be at a greater disadvantage then others. But also it is a specialized mech as well, like most mechs. True it does not have the speed most do either. Since the devs have already stated that the Frozen City -maps icy surfaces, where there are such, disrupt your mechs ability to move or decelerate fast, then it is very likely that they will also add similar effects to a purely city environment where according to the TT rules you have severe issues with high speeds and turning corners.
Now it is very possible they might even add these kinds of slippery hard surfaces to other maps as well where there is only a limited city or town area to go through. And if so the Urbie would be able to utilize these kinds of areas even more so.

But since MWO will be following the TT rules and what nots rather more closely then the previous MW games you will have severe limits on most of the mechs on just exactly you can and cannot put and field on them from weapons to extra modules.
At least until the clans omni-mechs come eventually, and those will have severe limitations on electronic upgrades that you can put in.

But it eventually all this boils down to the players own individual skills and how they react to outside stimuli and how well they are able to play the game within given parameters of individual mechs.
Some people will be able to squeeze out incredible and sometimes even near impossible seaming feats while others are lucky to be able to jump jet on a flat surface without crippling themselves.
And if you doubt it, aim for the legs of all those oh so fast mechs and you'll notice they ain't so fast anymore.
Also from what I read and understand then the mechs won't have full 360 turning radius for their upper torsos, now I might have misunderstood this and read it wrong and I am sure I will be soon corrected of the error of my ways if it is so.
But if the mechs, most if not all, indeed do have a limited torso twisting ability then the urbie is gets even nastier in a city scape like environment and indeed even outside it if utilized properly.

Edited by Mattrixx, 09 July 2012 - 06:19 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users