• LocationUnited States

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

Paint one green and call him Oscar.

#62 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 08 July 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

The Urbanmech is a Well Armored Self Propelled Jump Capable AC-10.

Now... Is a large bore autocannon a good weapon? Well, that's debatable, but the skinny is that a huge number of 'mechs use large bore autocannons as their primary weapon. A friggin 80 ton Victor only has 2 medium lasers and an SRM-4 when it runs out of its 15 rounds of AC-20 ammo.

AC-10 is good. Dang decent range, dang decent damage.

Urbanmech is a cheap and effective way to get it into combat, and its jump jets mean that if there is cover, whether that be boulders, houses, parking structures, what have you, then the snail speed of the mech isn't such a big deal. You won't be able to run away from the fight. But with skill and a bit of luck you will be able to get away from their guns.

It boils down to that. Is the AC-10, or AC-20 (for the less armored Capellan variant) a good weapon? Cause that AC-10 with its 1 ton of ammo is 43% of what an Urbanmech is. The Capellan AC-20 version with 4 tons of armor (same as Jenner & Cicada fyi) is 50% AC-20.

It's a self deployable armored anti-mech gun. Treat it as such, and not a universal wonder weapon, and it will do good.

"It won't keep up with the charge!" - Urbanmech was never designed to charge.

"It's the worst scout ever!" - Urbanmech was never designed to scout.

"It has limited ammo!" - Sure does. Same with a lot of mechs.

"Its so slow it will never be able to disengage from a fight!" - An urbanmech pilot should always keep near cover that he can jump-jet behind. To not do so is an indictment of the pilot not the mech.

"Its not actually that well armed!" - AC-10 punches its damage into one location. This means that an AC-10 round in general will do better than two Medium Lasers (same damage potential) as the AC-10 can bite through weakened armor and crush some internals, while the medium lasers have a big chance of hitting two different hit locations and not punching through the armor.

Good evening sir, I see you are enjoying your Urbanmech! Could I convince you to trade up to a Hollander? It's everything you love about the Urbanmech, only it's much faster, and it packs a Gauss rifle!

Come on, you know you want to tear the arm off that Mad Cat from a mile away, and ruin that clanners day, don't you?

#63 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

View PostVechs, on 08 July 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

I love Battletech vehicles, and while I've never played the tabletop, I know that how they are portrayed in MW4 is very inaccurate. (They die way too quickly, and they barely fire their weapons.)

I was disappointed that there were only mechs in MWO. I was hoping for vehicle NPCs to guard the bases or something.

Vehicles in the games have gotten such a bad rap, especially when you consider that some of them can gut assault mechs in a hurry.

Like the devestator. nothing fast or flashy here, but 2 AC 20's and a crapton of armor make this 80 ton tank a prickly foe to deal with.

Or the Mars. People talk a lot about the timberwolf being the pinacle of clan tech, but this thing could eat a frikkin daishi for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

#64 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostAshla Mason, on 08 July 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

Vehicles in the games have gotten such a bad rap, especially when you consider that some of them can gut assault mechs in a hurry.

Like the devestator. nothing fast or flashy here, but 2 AC 20's and a crapton of armor make this 80 ton tank a prickly foe to deal with.

Or the Mars. People talk a lot about the timberwolf being the pinacle of clan tech, but this thing could eat a frikkin daishi for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I always thought this ungodly killing machine was pretty cool. :)

Nothing on the battlefield is going to take three Gauss slugs and walk away smiling.

Developed by the New Earth Trading Company in 2587, the Alacorn attracted a reputation in the SLDF as an effective and dependable tank. Deployed throughout the Periphery, General Aleksandr Kerensky was reported to have taken hundreds of them during the Exodus. Production continued until the start of the Second Succession War when its advanced components could no longer be manufactured and the design disappeared outside of ComStar's stockpiles. New Earth were eventually able to restart production in 3055 with the Federated Commonwealth snapping up the majority produced.[3][4]
The design is popular with mercenary units and minor powers who can't afford BattleMechs, because of its heavy offensive weaponry and thirteen tons of armor; however, this payload is only possible through the use of an expensive and fragile Pitban 285 XL Engine. The Alacorn's popularity also received an unexpected boost when its crews discovered that the unique truncated pyramid can of the popular Federated Suns Pharaoh beer was the perfect track tension gauge. As only a freshly opened can has the exact measurement required, Alacorn crews are renowned for making frequent and extremely thorough track maintenance checks.

#65 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostVechs, on 08 July 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

Good evening sir, I see you are enjoying your Urbanmech! Could I convince you to trade up to a Hollander? It's everything you love about the Urbanmech, only it's much faster, and it packs a Gauss rifle!

Come on, you know you want to tear the arm off that Mad Cat from a mile away, and ruin that clanners day, don't you?

and it doesnt look like a waddling garbage can lol

#66 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

View Post514yer, on 08 July 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

and it doesnt look like a waddling garbage can lol

Hollander does look like the poor ******* that was featured in this one Craziest Police Videos episode I saw.

Paraphrasing:

"Jimmy was just out to have a good time, but when he careened into a fallen telephone pole at 70mph, he thought the good days were over. The telephone pole was thrust violently through his right torso, impaling him like a hanging log of salami. Miraculously, due to the speed and efficiency of first responders and the skill of the local surgeon, Jimmy survived, and became the inspiration for a long range sniper mech in a robot board game franchise."

#67 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 09 July 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

Hollander does look like the poor ******* that was featured in this one Craziest Police Videos episode I saw.

Paraphrasing:

"Jimmy was just out to have a good time, but when he careened into a fallen telephone pole at 70mph, he thought the good days were over. The telephone pole was thrust violently through his right torso, impaling him like a hanging log of salami. Miraculously, due to the speed and efficiency of first responders and the skill of the local surgeon, Jimmy survived, and became the inspiration for a long range sniper mech in a robot board game franchise."

Ouch!

Although I was thinking it to look a bit more like this:

Posted Image

Ready to send some pain down range!

#68 DoRkZiLLaa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Location(0,0,0,0)

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostVechs, on 08 July 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

Well, in your hypothetical scenario, I apparently lack the ability to aim, so I will lose no matter what mech I'm piloting. Unless the base is on a flat wide-open field, I assume there is some kind of cover around. And from the videos I've seen, there are large rocks, hills, cliffs, and/or buildings scattered around the maps. As long as there is at least one bit of cover for the Urbanmech to use, I can wait there for the enemy mech to come try and capture the base (PGI seems to be using the "stand in the circle and wait" model of base capture) and then just pop out and shoot them. I was actually curious to see if I could turn an Urbanmech into a MG / Small Pulse boat. Could you explain to me why you don't want the Urbanmech in the game? I understand why you don't to use one personally for yourself, but that's a big difference than not wanting it in the game at all.

The idea is he doesn't want development time spent on an arguably niche mech, one that is outclassed by most (if not all) light mechs in virtually every way. Also, "popping out and shooting" seems ineffective if you only have two weapons, especially since you're not fast enough to hide again after doing so.

#69 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

Its a pretty crappy mech, but they haven't said it isn't in the game. so you can always hope for it.

#70 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

Yeah. The Hollander rocks. It's a walking gauss rifle.

Almost all the same faults of the Urbanmech can be used to bash it though.

"Yeah but what if a Hollander doesn't notice a RabidBongo 'Mech sneak up on it! And it's out of Gauss RIfle ammo! And a local youth with a criminal record has shone a laser pointer at the Hollanders cockpit blinding the pilots eyes!"

Yup. If you employ a mech with a defined role and limited capabilities in a way that lets an enemy exploit the deficiencies of the design, you're gonna have a bad day. Don't do that. True story. Sums up all the anti ubanmech arguments as well.

#71 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Okay just waking up and reading most of the replies I already want a smoke -.- so it has gone from full fledged hating on Urbie, to also insulting bronies (seriously? why? I mean literally WHY?! meh love and tolerate..as long as I have my smokes -.-; ) We get it already, you hate the little guy but still, give it a rest, aren't we supposed to be getting along, waiting for MWO, and hating on steiner or something (wait im steiner...F***)

#72 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

View PostAdm Awesome, on 08 July 2012 - 11:37 PM, said:

Yeah he's cool, clumsy and in a way cute, I get it. Give me a freakin sig with an Urban Mech and I'll slap it on

I still don't want it on my team.

I get that. I think people may be surprised with what you can do with one, but I don't know. We shall see.
You have been the chillest anti-urbie I have seen on the forums, and for that I will gift you an Urbie bobble head if we can. Cheers!

#73 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

I need to fire up MW4 and see if I can cram a Longtom on an Urbanmech...

#74 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostVechs, on 09 July 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

I need to fire up MW4 and see if I can cram a Longtom on an Urbanmech...

Long Tom is 30 tons.

Urbie is 30 tons.

So if you can, you're a wizard :D .

#75 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:10 AM

It fits on the Uller (minus everything). Best walking Long Tom in the game. Just be really, really careful with the splash. Takes a while to not suicide on accident every 3rd shot or so.

#76 Adm Awesome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

Ok it's decided, I'm gonna make a 360 noscope MW4 video using the Urbanmech.

If you don't know what that is

this will give you an idea:

Edited by Adm Awesome, 09 July 2012 - 02:13 AM.

#77 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 09 July 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

Long Tom is 30 tons.

Urbie is 30 tons.

So if you can, you're a wizard :D .

If I recall correctly, it's 20 tons in MW4. They must have rebalanced the weight to reflect the weapons relative power within the videogame.

I know with MekTek I made a pretty good Hollander II build using a LongTom as the main gun. I'm surprised that the Hollander II is listed on Sarna as a variant. Considering it's 10 tons heavier, and goes into the Medium classification, I would consider it it's own 'mech. *boggles*

#78 1stStrike86

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

...i cant get rid of the very disturbing image in my head....the hollander with his gaus mounted between his legs, doing some hip thrusting while shooting ^^

...well...at least it would explain to people who dont know much about BT why it is called "hardpoints" ^^

#79 Adm Awesome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:18 AM

View Post1stStrike86, on 09 July 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

...i cant get rid of the very disturbing image in my head....the hollander with his gaus mounted between his legs, doing some hip thrusting while shooting ^^

...well...at least it would explain to people who dont know much about BT why it is called "hardpoints" ^^

you normally don't tell people about these things.

#80 PaintedWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:30 AM

Apparently the Urban Mech is the choice of the crowd. I myself prefer the Annihilator, how the majority has decided. The Market has decided- the Urban Mech. Refusal to include, particularly at this moment will incense. To accept will invigorate.

View PostVechs, on 08 July 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

I always thought this ungodly killing machine was pretty cool. :D

Nothing on the battlefield is going to take three Gauss slugs and walk away smiling.

Developed by the New Earth Trading Company in 2587, the Alacorn attracted a reputation in the SLDF as an effective and dependable tank. Deployed throughout the Periphery, General Aleksandr Kerensky was reported to have taken hundreds of them during the Exodus. Production continued until the start of the Second Succession War when its advanced components could no longer be manufactured and the design disappeared outside of ComStar's stockpiles. New Earth were eventually able to restart production in 3055 with the Federated Commonwealth snapping up the majority produced.[3][4]
The design is popular with mercenary units and minor powers who can't afford BattleMechs, because of its heavy offensive weaponry and thirteen tons of armor; however, this payload is only possible through the use of an expensive and fragile Pitban 285 XL Engine. The Alacorn's popularity also received an unexpected boost when its crews discovered that the unique truncated pyramid can of the popular Federated Suns Pharaoh beer was the perfect track tension gauge. As only a freshly opened can has the exact measurement required, Alacorn crews are renowned for making frequent and extremely thorough track maintenance checks.

Too bad one light Mech or Hover or VTOL with Infernos will 1 shot kill it.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users