• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostP1RATE, on 09 July 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

Real men use an Urbie.
Atlas driving mechwarriors are compensating for something.

psh, real men go onto the battlefield buck naked carrying nothing but a grapnel and some rope, punch through someone's cockpit window and yank them out, steal their mech and win the battle with one arm tied behind their back and the other tied off somewhere not politically correct driving with their feet! And I thank every day that I'm not -that guy- XD

#202 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 09 July 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

I imagine that all urbies seen will soon mount either an mg or smaller AC in place of the AC/10 to free up tonnage to make them faster because otherwise the fight will be over by the time they get there.

Let's say theres an enemy mech 900 meters away (30 hexes TT). It's just standing there.

Hunchback will get within firing range (with its Medium Lasers) in 35 seconds at full clip.

Urbanmech will get within firing range (with its AC-10) in 50 seconds at full clip.

You're talking about a difference if 15 seconds.

Double check my numbers, I could have those very wrong, I'm sure I'm not including a zillion rules and modifiers, but those are the time-to-engage numbers I come up with when you factor in max speed, and max range, versus a set distance.

If the enemy mech is 1800 meters away (60 hexes), Hunchie closes to firing range in 85 seconds or 1:25, Urbie closes to firing range in 150 seconds or 2:30.

So... Wholly fruitloops people, how long are these matches going to be? How gigantic are these maps going to be? Due to the fairly long range nature of the AC-10 the /time to engage/ of the Urbanmech isn't nearly as bad as its low speed would indicate.

The standard tabletop board size was 17 hexes long, a tiny bit over 1/2 Kilometer. Urbanmech can traverse 1/2 kilometer in 56 seconds.

"The Urbanmech will never even show up to the fight!" ... This argument needs to stop.

Edited by Buck Rogers, 09 July 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#203 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 09 July 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

Let's say theres an enemy mech 900 meters away (30 hexes TT). It's just standing there.

Hunchback will get within firing range (with its Medium Lasers) in 35 seconds at full clip.

Urbanmech will get within firing range (with its AC-10) in 50 seconds at full clip.

I'm sure I'm not including a zillion rules and modifiers, but those are the time-to-engage numbers you come up with when you factor in max speed, and max range, versus a set distance.

If the enemy mech is 1800 meters away (60 hexes), Hunchie closes to firing range in 85 seconds or 1:25, Urbie closes to firing range in 150 seconds or 2:30.

So... Wholly fruitloops people, how long are these matches going to be? How gigantic are these maps going to be? Due to the fairly long range nature of the AC-10 the /time to engage/ of the Urbanmech isn't nearly as bad as its low speed would indicate.

The standard tabletop board size was 17 hexes long, a tiny bit over 1/2 Kilometer. Urbanmech can traverse 1/2 kilometer in 56 seconds.

"The Urbanmech will never even show up to the fight!" ... This argument needs to stop.

Except most mechs backup faster than the urbie advances so there is that.

#204 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostDamascas, on 09 July 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Except most mechs backup faster than the urbie advances so there is that.

someone needs to do a moonwalking urbie gif... just saying

#205 Eddy Hawkins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Double check my numbers, I could have those very wrong, I'm sure I'm not including a zillion rules and modifiers, but those are the time-to-engage numbers I come up with when you factor in max speed, and max range, versus a set distance.

Mabye i wont head stright for the Urbie? Mabye insted i back peddle or strafe, keeping the Urbie in range of my lasers while the Urbie struggles to get range?

the Urbie only works in an enviorment where it can use cover to get close, i.e. an Urban envirment. anything else and you can kite a Urbie to death.

#206 wargonglok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationIowa, training my urbie combat skills in the sacred temple of the urbies

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

As Freud would say "if it's not an urbie, you're compensating."

#207 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

So your comparing a Hunchbacks medium lasers with a range of 270 meters to an Urbanmechs AC/10 with a range of 450 meters, and it still takes longer for the urbie to get into range and this is a plus for this mech? How about comparing a Panther and its PPC to the Urbanmech and its AC/10 and run those numbers again. Also whant map sheet did you play on that was 17 hexes long? It would be all kinds of stupid to put a range of 18 hexes on a PPC or 21 for an LRM if the map ended at 17, they were much longer than that. For an idea of the starting speed of an Urbanmech watch the assault mech breakdown video and realize that you will be moving slower than that. The Urbanmech that show up in MWO will probably be mechlabed to move much faster and will mount an AC/2 or 5, or maybe a mg and a lg laser or PPC in place of the sm. laser. Even in urban conflict, speed is useful to maintain anything but a completely static defense.

Edited by Tincan Nightmare, 09 July 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#208 wargonglok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationIowa, training my urbie combat skills in the sacred temple of the urbies

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

My urbie uses several ac 2s, you can't really outrun that. and urbie would be a light mech that can mount ballistic weapons which we don't have yet. and isn't versatility good?

#209 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostEddy Hawkins, on 09 July 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

Mabye i wont head stright for the Urbie? Mabye insted i back peddle or strafe, keeping the Urbie in range of my lasers while the Urbie struggles to get range?

AC-10 has equal range to a Large Laser... So unless you're using clan tech...

#210 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 09 July 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

So your comparing a Hunchbacks medium lasers with a range of 270 meters to an Urbanmechs AC/10 with a range of 450 meters, and it still takes longer for the urbie to get into range and this is a plus for this mech? How about comparing a Panther and its PPC to the Urbanmech and its AC/10 and run those numbers again.

Wholly balls. The entire point was that the time-to-engage of the Urbanmech isn't that much worse than other mechs already in game. Both a Hunchback pilot and an Urbanmech pilot will have time to check their email before they can close to weapons range.

"Why don't you compare it to a better faster mech with longer range weapons that's not even in the game hm!?" Yeah, no.

#211 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 09 July 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Wholly balls. The entire point was that the time-to-engage of the Urbanmech isn't that much worse than other mechs already in game. Both a Hunchback pilot and an Urbanmech pilot will have time to check their email before they can close to weapons range.

"Why don't you compare it to a better faster mech with longer range weapons that's not even in the game hm!?" Yeah, no.

Or compare it to any light mech at a more reasonable range.

#212 P1RATE

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Everyone should start in a Urbie, like how in world of tanks you start with a loltraktor :D

Edited by P1RATE, 09 July 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#213 Todd Lee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Urbanmechs would be a fantastic April Fools joke.

#214 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostDamascas, on 09 July 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Or compare it to any light mech at a more reasonable range.

"Urbanmech will never reach the enemy so it can't be in the game!"

Due to the weapons ranges of the mechs, the Urbanmech could actually be capable of firing on an enemy at roughly the same time as the Hunchback, which is already in the game, on a 2km wide map, if given the same starting positions...

"No! Compare it to some other mech that's faster so the numbers make the urbanmech look worse! I command youuuu!"
Posted Image

#215 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostTodd Lee, on 09 July 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

Urbanmechs would be a fantastic April Fools joke.

truth, especially if the joke was, everyone logs in on april 1 and every mech in their hanger is an urbie...

#216 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 09 July 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Except wholly balls the Hunchback with shorter ranged weapons closed range and fired FASTER than the Urbanmech with a weapon twice the range of the Hunchbacks. If you have a time to engage that is longer than a mech you OUTRANGE by a factor of two because you are a waddling trashcan, theres a problem.

#217 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 09 July 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

"Urbanmech will never reach the enemy so it can't be in the game!"

Due to the weapons ranges of the mechs, the Urbanmech could actually be capable of firing on an enemy at roughly the same time as the Hunchback, which is already in the game, on a 2km wide map, if given the same starting positions...

"No! Compare it to some other mech that's faster so the numbers make the urbanmech look worse! I command youuuu!"
Posted Image

I asked you to compare it to a mech of the same class, what is wrong with that and why are you acting asinine?

#218 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Okay seriously just had this idea, A "Urban"mech, with gold teeth, gold chains and air jordans xD

Edited by Sidra, 09 July 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#219 Necrodemus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSouthwestern Virginia, USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

Q.) Why?
A.) Options...

Q.) Why Not?
A.) Haters & Whiners...

#220 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostNecrodemus, on 09 July 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

Q.) Why?
A.) Options...

Q.) Why Not?
A.) Haters & Whiners...

We can tell which side you chose. It is too slow to survive on the battlefields we have seen and us too much of a niche weapon.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users