Just a quick hello...

13 replies to this topic

#1 Pyotr Zinovieff

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Hi all,

I've been eagerly watching all the MechWarrior Online news from afar, and decided I'd waited long enough to jump on board. I'm a longtime fan of the MechWarrior series of video games--dating right back to the days of the Super Nintendo. And, like the rest of you I'm sure, I'm looking forward to its next incarnation. Let's hope it sticks around longer than some of the other attempts to revive it... although I'm sure it will.

In truth, I was disappointed when the free-to-play model was adopted, but thankfully it looks as though it will be implemented better than it's been utilised in the past. The rest of my inner circle of friends and fellow gamers, however, aren't so optimistic. It's nothing personal, but what they've seen of free-to-play games in the past has just made them understandably cautious. That's why I'm here: to give them all an inside look, and hopefully be part of improving the final product so that it entices them into investing. That way, we can revive the faction we all created as kids. That's the dream anyway.

Does anyone else remember the days when scoping out the latest players on MercNet's California server specifically (for whatever reason), resulted in finding absolute greenhorns that could be taken on three or four at a time, with nothing more than a Jenner packing a medium pulse laser, some jump jets, and as many heat sinks as you could carry? Well, I do. Good times.

Anyway, I just wanted to sound off and say hello to everyone. I'm a pretty private person--you won't find me on Facebook, Twitter, or through an IM client--but I'll likely be floating around here from time to time, and might even say a thing or two on occasion. When things start going live I'll be more visible I imagine, but in the mean time, consider me a happy member of this lively little community in absentia, if nothing else.

So, yeah, I guess that's it. Feel free to say hi back, especially those of you in and around Oceania. I'm sure there are a few Aussies and Kiwis floating around at the very least. You better start being nice to me now, because back in the day, I was quite a force to be reckoned with, so you'll want me on your side when the metal starts hitting the meat...

:) :lol: B)

Edited by Pyotr Zinovieff, 08 July 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#2 BenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSingapore, South East Asia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

Well, hello! Welcome!

If you're ever looking for a group to lend your strength in, check out the Ryuken-Ni, plenty of Aussies within this group :D

#3 Pyotr Zinovieff

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostBenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON, on 09 July 2012 - 04:47 AM, said:

Well, hello! Welcome!

If you're ever looking for a group to lend your strength in, check out the Ryuken-Ni, plenty of Aussies within this group ;)

Thanks for the offer. Based on the digging I've done, I might try the Lone Wolf route at first, since it seems setting down one path only to change your mind later might be costly. That's the way it should be, but I plan on getting an overview of how the bigger picture looks to start with. I hope you'll keep me in mind to fill an empty slot to even out the numbers in a skirmish though--on either side... :P

Incidentally, isn't the Ryukin-Ni in the canon? Nice to see some players re-imagining some of the niche factions that missed out on getting the full treatment from the development team.

I'm glad to know there are plenty of Aussie out there too. I'm not surprised though.

#4 TripleHex

• 1,636 posts
  • LocationOut of range of your weapons

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hello and welcome. If you ever find yourself looking for a home, the Dark Sabres have several Aussie members, and we're looking for a few more. If interested, PM me with some info about your experience in the BT/MW universe. In any case, welcome to he forums!

#5 Pyotr Zinovieff

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

View PostTripleHex, on 11 July 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

Hello and welcome. If you ever find yourself looking for a home, the Dark Sabres have several Aussie members, and we're looking for a few more. If interested, PM me with some info about your experience in the BT/MW universe. In any case, welcome to he forums!

What a coincidence--my home-brewed faction actually involves a sabre-toothed cat as well. It might not ever see the light of day here, but still, it's laying dormant in the shadows, ready to pounce. Kudos on your faction, it's very cool indeed. I'll keep your offer in mind, and keep an eye out for you on the battlefield...

#6 Erwiin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostPyotr Zinovieff, on 11 July 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

I'm glad to know there are plenty of Aussie out there too. I'm not surprised though.

Yep, we're everywhere!

#7 HybridTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 281 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

Welcome to the party! Nice to see another former Mechwarrior Elite join the ranks here. Been playing since Mechwarrior 2 myself and like you say, am very excited to see what this game offers. As far as your friends being cautious... I understand... but the negative stigma attached to the free-to-play platform needs to be beaten down by something... it might as well be MW:O. Also, the fact that it IS free, will allow all your friends to give it a try for themselves at absolutely no cost... and I think that alone will be enticing in of itself.

#8 Pyotr Zinovieff

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

View PostErwiin, on 11 July 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Yep, we're everywhere!

Great to know!

View PostHybridTheory, on 11 July 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Welcome to the party! Nice to see another former Mechwarrior Elite join the ranks here.

So you related to my MercNet anecdote? See, now I know you're the real deal. Playing MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries online was one of the highlights of my adolescence.

View PostHybridTheory, on 11 July 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Been playing since Mechwarrior 2 myself and like you say, am very excited to see what this game offers. As far as your friends being cautious... I understand... but the negative stigma attached to the free-to-play platform needs to be beaten down by something... it might as well be MW:O. Also, the fact that it IS free, will allow all your friends to give it a try for themselves at absolutely no cost... and I think that alone will be enticing in of itself.

I really hope MechWarrior Online cuts the mustard, and I really can see it bucking the trend and being worthwhile and fair to everybody. And while it's true that my friends would get to try it eventually, what we all thought was immensely important was one of us getting early access. That way, we all have a conduit into the developing process and can be a part of testing, as well as shaping any rough edges by providing feedback and such during the beta.

Anyway, good to know you're out there. The fact that so many MechWarriors of old are jumping onboard can only be a good thing...

#9 BenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON

• 1,217 posts
  • LocationSingapore, South East Asia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostPyotr Zinovieff, on 11 July 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

Incidentally, isn't the Ryukin-Ni in the canon? Nice to see some players re-imagining some of the niche factions that missed out on getting the full treatment from the development team.

Well, players aren't allowed to own canon units and canon names but slap on a little "backstory" and modify the tag a little and we should get away with it, so you're right about the re-imagining part here.

Anyway, since Community Warfare is pushed to post-launch there shouldn't be too much of a difference between lone-wolf and house members. But if you ever want to drop with a team, just drop in and say hi and we'll fit you in somewhere :D

#10 Sirous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 368 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

Welcome, and a word of advice, do not get sucked in as I have, Constantly following the regulars that post here to see the next crazy thing they will come up with. Take part if you must but be forewarned once you start it will never end, and you must, must I tell you check every waking hour at least to see if you got a beta key, or the next new meme that has arrived at the very least.

#11 Pyotr Zinovieff

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

View PostBenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON, on 12 July 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

Well, players aren't allowed to own canon units and canon names but slap on a little "backstory" and modify the tag a little and we should get away with it, so you're right about the re-imagining part here.

Sneaky. MechWarrior always seems to bring that out in players though--since the old days of the MechWarrior 2 trio and MechWarrior 3, players would rather revive a canon unit somehow rather than create something entirely new.

View PostBenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON, on 12 July 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

Anyway, since Community Warfare is pushed to post-launch there shouldn't be too much of a difference between lone-wolf and house members. But if you ever want to drop with a team, just drop in and say hi and we'll fit you in somewhere ;)

Oh? I didn't realise that was the case. It makes sense though. The on-field gameplay is what's paramount really, everything else can come and go as it pleases.

View PostSirous, on 12 July 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Welcome, and a word of advice, do not get sucked in as I have, Constantly following the regulars that post here to see the next crazy thing they will come up with. Take part if you must but be forewarned once you start it will never end, and you must, must I tell you check every waking hour at least to see if you got a beta key, or the next new meme that has arrived at the very least.

No chance. You're talking to a guy who shuns many popular facets of the Internet. I'm immune to memes, and am not fussed about when my beta status goes live, and the only thread I've really perused since signing up is mine--and I only do that to be nice to those who take the time to drop me a line. Thanks for the warning though. :(

#12 Lunchmeat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

Welcome to the party! Hope to see you on the battlefield one day, either at my side or in my sights! ;)

#13 Sir Aaron

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:06 AM

If you want to see a not abusive Free to play game model try Tribes. Especially since the last updates. Else yes you have a lot of pay to win within the free to play models.

#14 Pyotr Zinovieff

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:57 AM

View PostLunchmeat, on 14 July 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

Welcome to the party! Hope to see you on the battlefield one day, either at my side or in my sights! :)

That's what I like to hear, thanks for the warm welcome.

View PostSir Aaron, on 14 July 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

If you want to see a not abusive Free to play game model try Tribes. Especially since the last updates. Else yes you have a lot of pay to win within the free to play models.

Massively-Multiplayer Online games in general just aren't my thing. As far as I'm concerned, the best way to ruin a perfectly good game is to introduce a whole bunch of human players into it. Obviously, I'm making an exception for MechWarrior Online--and based on what I've seen of the community here, it will prove itself to be an exception in that regard. Just as important as the gameplay, content, and support, are the people that play it. And if they all have a vested interest in making the whole thing a success for everyone else, and a decent people by and large, then you're onto a winning formula.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users