Hard Work Nets Poor Return

42 replies to this topic

#1 D1SC0 LEM0NADE

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

Just for giggles I opened another account. Right out of the tutorial I was nearly maxed 4th tier. After my first match in a trial Mad Dog I got bumped 1/4 of the way through 3rd tier. My second match, in a trial Thunderbolt Champ, I get 3 kills, 9 assists, 6 component destroyed, a few scouting, 495 damage, and other misc. merits. What did I earn with all this hard work? 112,000 Cbill and 1500 xp. . .just sad. It's been a while since I haven't had premium time and Prime variants to net me extra cash. Now that I'm a better pilot, starting new without these things just shows how bad the grind is. Inexperienced players must be getting hosed badly in comparison.

#2 Turambar

• Pip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSt Paul

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

Yep... CBill earnings are absolutely abysmal right now. You killed nearly a third of th opposing team and you got a pittance for CBills. I've been saying this for a while... CBill earnings need to be bumped up.. maybe not a lot... but at this point you think a new player will want to play 60 matches before they can buy their own mechs... I think not.

#3 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

Yeaaah... even with heroes and premium time, it's still nothing special. Just a long boring grind until you can get something new.

#4 MadMaxMKII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

if i would be a new player, i would stop playing this game instantly...the earnings are just a bad joke.

#5 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

The whole in game economy needs an overhaul.

I dunno if its PGI trying to force peeps to buy premium time. But even with it on its only marginally better. (God forsake if your on a loosing streak)

#6 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

View PostAkulla1980, on 18 October 2015 - 02:23 PM, said:

The whole in game economy needs an overhaul.

I dunno if its PGI trying to force peeps to buy premium time. But even with it on its only marginally better. (God forsake if your on a loosing streak)

#doublepremiumtime2015
#heroizemechsformc

Edited by Burktross, 18 October 2015 - 02:25 PM.

#7 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

Don't forget that by doing well in that first match and getting bumped into Tier 3, now you have the chance of running into Tier 1 opponents.

On my alt account (thanks to the abysmal grind), I was knee deep in full meta nascar tryhard land before I could afford my first mech, and it's REALLY, REALLY HARD to compete against full elited Clan mechs when you have unbasic'd trial mechs.

I really few sorry for new players, I truly do.

#8 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

Not new but took up MWO again and beeing a bad player, yah I nearly quited again when I looked at my average income and calculated I would need about 106 matches to get to 7 million C-Bills.
Luckly there was the new tutorial thing and I had some cbills from before but currently the income is bad if you aren't very good.
As I said I am pretty bad, hardly survive a match and have just ~60.700cbills per match.

Don't know what you people make but the highest I had must have been around 120.000...and don't get me started about XP. Took forever to level my mech.average of 585XP per match.

#9 D1SC0 LEM0NADE

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

I think with all the cadet bonuses, the tutorial cash, and my earnings in the mean time, I'll be able to pick up a MadDog without to much trouble. The problem is going to be buying the other two! Lolz. . .its not really funny. It should only take something like 196 games to do it. . .if I can continue to perform like the above listed match. :/

#10 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostD1SC0 LEM0NADE, on 18 October 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Just for giggles I opened another account. Right out of the tutorial I was nearly maxed 4th tier. After my first match in a trial Mad Dog I got bumped 1/4 of the way through 3rd tier.

Haha, really? I'll have to try that out. When the PSR was implemented, I'm pretty sure this account was between 25% and 50% through 3rd tier. That basically means that after playing for almost 3 years, their system had me ranked at the same level as someone who has played... one match?

I probably had to play 200-300 matches to get out of Tier 3, with consistent high scores and a ~3.0 KDR. And it takes new players 1 good match to get into Tier 3?

I need to test this out tomorrow. Hilarious if true.

View PostD1SC0 LEM0NADE, on 18 October 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

My second match, in a trial Thunderbolt Champ, I get 3 kills, 9 assists, 6 component destroyed, a few scouting, 495 damage, and other misc. merits. What did I earn with all this hard work? 112,000 Cbill and 1500 xp. . .just sad. It's been a while since I haven't had premium time and Prime variants to net me extra cash. Now that I'm a better pilot, starting new without these things just shows how bad the grind is. Inexperienced players must be getting hosed badly in comparison.

It's absolutely ridiculous. I'm glad it doesn't affect me anymore, since I'm not in the business of buying more mechs. Now I just casually buy some more weapon modules here and there, when I've got a few million lying around. #endgame

But I feel for new players starting out in MWO. Sucks to be them.

#11 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

You'd have got a whopping ~30k using consumables.

You'd only have to play 1,700 games like that to get 3 direwolves to master XD

#12 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

"Cbill rewards need to be increased."

#13 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

There was a not so ninja nerf when they first tried to implement role warfare. I think they thought everyone would modify their gameplay to take advantage of things like spotting, sticking with your lancemates, etc. Of course it didn't work. Now we just get really bad pay.

#14 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

I am not sure about this subject to be honest. I do think free to play players are not expecting easy street though.

The biggest problem with the NPE at the moment from what I can tell is small groups or groups of 2 getting stuck in the group queue.

Credits earnings may or may not be to low. Its not supposed to be quick and easy to get a fully outfitted mech.

In fact, and this is important, if it is to quick and easy and they dont have a chance to get fairly good at the game before they do have a fully outfitted mech, then they have a fully outfitted mech and still getting beat up easily, they may not realize they need to improve... I hope that made sense.

Mechwarrior Online isnt a tough game to play, but it is a tough game to master or do well at in a match. 1:1 is well.

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 October 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#15 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:22 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 18 October 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

Haha, really? I'll have to try that out. When the PSR was implemented, I'm pretty sure this account was between 25% and 50% through 3rd tier. That basically means that after playing for almost 3 years, their system had me ranked at the same level as someone who has played... one match?

Yup, I can confirm. When PSR went public I made an account and kitted out an introtech firestarter with my tutorial cash.
I went from 75% T4 to ~20% T3--- My main rank at the time.

#16 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

Yeah.. i tried making a new account not long ago as Inner sphere only, and boy do i feel bad for the newbies that don't have a stable of mechs to fall back on like us vets.

#17 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:29 PM

View PostBelphegore, on 18 October 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

Yeah.. i tried making a new account not long ago as Inner sphere only, and boy do i feel bad for the newbies that don't have a stable of mechs to fall back on like us vets.

Are new players supposed to have mechs to fall back on like vets?

#18 Brollocks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 153 posts
  • LocationStomping Mechticles

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:58 PM

As a vet, starting a new account is going to be frustrating. From the viewpoint of a new player it isn't as bad as you think. I've only been playing about 3 months, so the learning curve and the initial grinding are still very fresh memories.

Bottom line is a new player has to find a 'mech they have fun in, because they will be stuck with it for a while (let's assume not all are going to buy any mech packs to get started - I didn't, just premium time after the first month of playing). My first account was not fun, I bought a 'mech I was not ready for and it was a frustrating experience. The Awesome was not awesome, and with me being new, it died before I knew what was going on. Made a new account and bought a 'mech I could learn in much easier and was more forgiving to movement and positional mistakes. I'm now at the point where I can cycle through a small stable of mastered 'mechs for varying gaming experiences, playing for fun, and that very quickly builds up the cbills for buying another set of 'mechs.

#19 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:02 PM

Gotta be honest most of the mechs I've obtained since the earnings nerf a long time ago I've bought with MC or as a pack and I still have money issues due to module and engine costs.

#20 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:02 PM

View PostZenFool, on 18 October 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

There was a not so ninja nerf when they first tried to implement role warfare. I think they thought everyone would modify their gameplay to take advantage of things like spotting, sticking with your lancemates, etc. Of course it didn't work. Now we just get really bad pay.

Well the same person is still in charge. The laser range changes just look like a continuation of the ones you mentioned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users