Subscription Model

20 replies to this topic

Poll: Subscription (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Pgi offer a subscription package?

1. Yes (29 votes [69.05%])

Percentage of vote: 69.05%

2. No (13 votes [30.95%])

Percentage of vote: 30.95%

How much would be a good subscription price?

1. $5 a month (8 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

2. $10 a month (12 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. $15 a month (10 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. Other (12 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

What should subscribers get?

1. Premium time (30 votes [31.91%])

Percentage of vote: 31.91%

2. Discounts on paint & camo (23 votes [24.47%])

Percentage of vote: 24.47%

3. Discounts on mech packs (22 votes [23.40%])

Percentage of vote: 23.40%

4. Other (plz share) (19 votes [20.21%])

Percentage of vote: 20.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:31 PM

This is another good idea that came out of http://mwomercs.com/...-to-mech-packs/

The idea is, you pay a monthly (etc) subscription for various goodies.

- Premium time for duration of subscription at a cheaper rate.
- Discounts on paint, camo, cockpit items, etc
- Discounts on mech packs

These are just basic ideas of what you'd get. Maybe you'd get more, maybe less.

The only thing I'd be worried about would be a subscribers vs nonsubscribers issues.

Do you like this idea? What should subscribers get? And how much would be a good subscription price be?

Please don't get confused. The game would still be F2P just some people would be paying a subscription fee for extra, NON P2WIN, goodies.

Edited by TheArisen, 19 October 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#2 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 15 October 2015 - 08:31 PM, said:

This is another good idea that came out of http://mwomercs.com/...-to-mech-packs/

The idea is, you pay a monthly (etc) subscription for various goodies.

- Premium time for duration of subscription at a cheaper rate.
- Discounts on paint, camo, cockpit items, etc
- Discounts on mech packs

These are just basic ideas of what you'd get. Maybe you'd get more, maybe less.

The only thing I'd be worried about would be a subscribers vs nonsubscribers issues.

Do you like this idea? What should subscribers get? And how much would be a good subscription price be?

Please don't get confused. The game would still be F2P just some people would be paying a subscription fee for extra, NON P2WIN, goodies.

Because of your marketing team's shenanigans they have devalued MC... nobody in their right mind will buy mc over mrch packs...

Only value in mc now is to stock only when there are sales and to use them only with content that you also purchase on sale...

You need to find new ways to use MC without needing to develop content for it... hint: CW to shore up world defenses... hire mercs..

Heck, i would even buy MC to spend on getting priority bug fixes to my pet peeve bugs... e.g. nvidia 3d surround hud...

#3 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostMycrus, on 17 October 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

Because of your marketing team's shenanigans they have devalued MC... nobody in their right mind will buy mc over mrch packs...

Only value in mc now is to stock only when there are sales and to use them only with content that you also purchase on sale...

You need to find new ways to use MC without needing to develop content for it... hint: CW to shore up world defenses... hire mercs..

Heck, i would even buy MC to spend on getting priority bug fixes to my pet peeve bugs... e.g. nvidia 3d surround hud...

My marketing team?

I agree there should be more uses for mc, so you're saying a subscription would devalue mc?

#4 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:57 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 17 October 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

My marketing team?

I agree there should be more uses for mc, so you're saying a subscription would devalue mc?

Aren't you part of pgi?

Mc is already devalued because of the current mech pack pricing model... primarily because are temporarily locked under a 2nd level of paywall...

So what value will a subscription bring if it just gives primarily mc?

Subscription will have to offer something more to the consumer without fundamentally altering the price to asset ratio of mech packs or the model will go off kilter...

#5 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostMycrus, on 17 October 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

Aren't you part of pgi?

looks to me like someone who likes the game, but would rather spend his money on something other then a new mech that can do the same thing as the others he already owns

View PostTheArisen, on 15 October 2015 - 08:31 PM, said:

What should subscribers get?

I think they boxed themselves into a corner a bit with how they changed how we buy mechs over the years

I already have plenty of paints, one shot camos aren't expensive and new paints come with mech packs as well

I don't know, I think the other ways of creating customizable things have more merit
though I guess you could slave a subscription (but then for free) with more customization options

#6 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

Currency injections on a weekly or monthly basis.

Longevity bonuses based on length of concurrent subscription time

Continued player appreciation annually with a segment for people who have subscribed during the year.

#7 boxbox

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

Once they get AI worked out maybe they could have monthly/weekly? single player (or multiple player with friends) missions to subscribers only...

#8 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:26 PM

Things to make subscription better: (Brainstorming here)

Helicopter warfare for PUG queues.

The ability to drop into two tanks.

The ability to aim and control dropship Lasers upon entry.

The ability to choose (Vote on and influence) which planets are attacked in Community warfare.

The ability to play the first 5 missions in each of the house PVE campaigns.

The ability to Trial all the mechs in the game even the Hero mechs. I mean really, if you want to pay a subscription you should have the ability to trial pretty much everything.

Temporary unlock: All colors and camo schemes.

The ability to spawn in Battle Armor after death during PUG drops. <- this would be hilarious

Eject anywhere all day everyday on command in any drop with animations of the pilot punching the eject button.

Edited by Timuroslav, 17 October 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#9 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 17 October 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

looks to me like someone who likes the game, but would rather spend his money on something other then a new mech that can do the same thing as the others he already owns

I think they boxed themselves into a corner a bit with how they changed how we buy mechs over the years

I already have plenty of paints, one shot camos aren't expensive and new paints come with mech packs as well

I don't know, I think the other ways of creating customizable things have more merit
though I guess you could slave a subscription (but then for free) with more customization options

Nope, he is part of pgi

http://mwomercs.com/...ch-hangers-hud/

Why he doesn't use his dev account to post on the forums escapes me...

#10 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:14 AM

View PostMycrus, on 17 October 2015 - 09:57 PM, said:

Nope, he is part of pgi

http://mwomercs.com/...ch-hangers-hud/

Why he doesn't use his dev account to post on the forums escapes me...

I'll try and be nice... When I said "Talking with Tina..." I meant messaging here on the forums. She responded because (I guess) I was polite & respectful. I live in California, USA. Pgi is up in Canada, okay? I'm just a fan of Battletech/Mechwarrior. Because of that I use some of my free time to try and improve the game, I'm a forum warrior, that's it.

The first time you talked about this I thought either you liked the idea or it was satire.

Now, let's stay on topic about subscriptions.

#11 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:19 AM

On topic, the reason I think Pgi offering a subscription is a good idea is because (ideally) it'd give them a more steady stream of income which would allow them to focus on maps, CW, balance, etc instead of mech packs.

Edited by TheArisen, 18 October 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#12 Doman Hugin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:58 AM

The best thing besides Premium Time etc. they could do with a subsciption would be to to get early access to new mechs.
Say, as soon as new mechs are in game subscribers can get them for MC, and C-Bills When new mechs are available for MC.

#13 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:15 AM

As long as its not Pay2Play or Pay2Win, a subscription would be fine with me. Paying a monthly cost of $ to get a set value of premium time days and MC, as well as first looks at new content, and discounts on new content.

That would be ok.. but ONLY if it never crosses their minds to make the game Pay2Play.. cose' that would instantly put the last nail in MWO's coffin.

#14 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:32 PM

Having the option to take up a subscription with a monthly payment is a good idea.
Not a compulsory option, in case some people are worried about that, just a option to subscribe if you wanted to.

I would suggest that the subscription simply provides you with c-bill and XP bonus the equivalent of premium time.
However, given that you can still purchase and win premium time, it should stack so if you happen to have both, then the earnings are better.

I would be quite happy if the option was available.

Perhaps some other 'rewards' could be added in later (ie. 1 year, 2 year things) but that doesn't matter at this stage.

#15 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:58 AM

View Post50 50, on 10 November 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Having the option to take up a subscription with a monthly payment is a good idea.
Not a compulsory option, in case some people are worried about that, just a option to subscribe if you wanted to.

I would suggest that the subscription simply provides you with c-bill and XP bonus the equivalent of premium time.
However, given that you can still purchase and win premium time, it should stack so if you happen to have both, then the earnings are better.

I would be quite happy if the option was available.

Perhaps some other 'rewards' could be added in later (ie. 1 year, 2 year things) but that doesn't matter at this stage.

You're most correct. This is a strictly extra goodies thing. This thread is NOT about making the game pay to play.

Interesting idea about "subscription time" combining with regular premium time, that'd be a 100% bonus, which could be combined with heroes or performance mechs.

I still think subscribers should get discounts on mech packs, etc.

BTW, check out this thread: http://mwomercs.com/...n-poll-updated/

#16 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostMycrus, on 17 October 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

... they have devalued MC ...

Completely agree. The same can be said about Mech Bays.

Whoever decided to devalue the base income business model for this game after seeing initial performance figures should really consider retaking business school. For instance, I have never seen a game model devalue in-game currency to the point of literally giving it away. CBills being given away makes complete sense. MC on the other hand is just questionable.

#17 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

View Postm, on 24 November 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

Completely agree. The same can be said about Mech Bays.

Whoever decided to devalue the base income business model for this game after seeing initial performance figures should really consider retaking business school. For instance, I have never seen a game model devalue in-game currency to the point of literally giving it away. CBills being given away makes complete sense. MC on the other hand is just questionable.

Companies sometimes do giveaways or have prizes. Maybe it could be trying to get ppl feeling like they need MC?

#18 Voodoomancer

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:28 AM

View PostMirkk Defwode, on 17 October 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Currency injections on a weekly or monthly basis.

Longevity bonuses based on length of concurrent subscription time

Continued player appreciation annually with a segment for people who have subscribed during the year.

Bumping this because I still think it's a good idea. I have wished for a subscription option for years now. (I only searched the forums about it today, so bad on me).

Having the subscription get more value the longer you're subscribed - YES! That makes maintaining the subscription worthwhile instead of only "subscribing" when you want to get, for example, the discounts.

I would propose:
  • all subscription levels come with premium time
  • lowest tier is just premium time; it's there so you never have to worry about running out of premium time and forgetting to get or activate more
  • higher tiers get monthly MC and C-bills
  • C-bills and MC get longevity bonuses - maybe 10% at 3 months and another 10% at 6 months, on top of automatically getting the bonuses from any sales during the month - so if there was a bonus-20%-MC sale during the month you would automatically get an extra 20% stacked on top of your longevity bonus.
  • Alternatively, maybe the subscription comes with MC and the boost is C-bills?
  • longevity boosts apply to gifting too - either you get the boost amount, or it gets added to the gift.
  • longevity "decays" at the same rate that it accrues - so if you have 24-month longevity, and you drop your subscription for 6 months, you would still have 18 months of longevity when you resubscribe. That would be a good way to recognize those who have been consistent but run into hardship or just need to take a break.
  • Lower tiers' longevity is subsumed by higher levels - stepping down to a lower tier maintains full longevity for the lower tier but the higher-tier longevity decays. For example, if I have 24 months of longevity at $30, and I step down to $15 for 6 months, at the end I have 30 months of $15 longevity but only 18 months at $30. If I then step back up to $30 again for 6 months, I build back up to 24 months of $30 and I still have 30 months at $15.
I would propose the using the various MC tiers as subscription levels - the $7 level could be just premium time, the $15 and $30 levels also come with the MC amounts and some longevity boosting. Maybe make the $50 and $100 levels "super premium" levels with more accumulation bonuses (like, for $100 you could boost longevity bonuses every 3 months until you reach 50% bonus)?

#19 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:08 PM

Chm, what about battlepass ? I mean Mechpass ?

#20 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:12 AM

Premium Time to buy for What ? Dead Faction play ?Nascar and the same Maps over and over and over? ?and how many Colorvariation you must have ? only new Bolt ons in the Style from the new stryker Pack interesting (the old Bolt ons Terrible)

Thats not CoD warzone (with a Big Team)who you becomes new Guns, Operators ,Skins, Visit Cards etc ...most here is very very unattractive for a Monthly Payment and pGI has not the Team for creating many good Content in a Monthly Cycle and nothing Programmer and Coder for Content in each other sense (like playable Tanks or Helicopters/FEET-Leg IK/Collision-Knockdown System)) with this Game in Cry3 Engine...PGI luckyly now Found a mapmaker after how many Years?! and its interesting to seeing what this Guy alone can make in which Time(and how many Projects here must make and helping nearby).

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 30 April 2021 - 08:22 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users