Why The Lasers Need To Focus Explanation Doesn't Make Sense, And Why It Should Be Scrapped For Another Method, If It All.

83 replies to this topic

#41 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:29 AM

It seems more like the goal was to reduce the prevalence of mass laser vomit by means of infotech.

Players complained that using your eyeballs was more effective than using sensors. This is PGIs solution to that particular complaint. Theyre doing this to make sensors matter more.

It seems more like the goal was to reduce the prevalence of mass laser vomit by means of infotech.

So they are going to argue that a Gauss rifle will do less damage without a target lock?

Eventually ALL weapons will do less damage without a target lock. Look at what PGI will accomplish by doing that:

1) it makes sensors matter A LOT more
2) it increases TTK significantly
3) it reels in the long-range meta

Im not saying I agree with it. Im just saying its whats coming down the pipeline...

By making infotech matter that much they might just be able to balance the Timberwolf and Orion by giving the Orion better infotech. We assumed infotech was going to be a joke. But its turns out its going to be a heavy handed gamesweeping change.

It remains to be seen if its for the better or worse :P

Edited by Khobai, 16 October 2015 - 09:37 AM.

#42 Decadre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

Perhaps, they should look into creating a "convergence zone". Perhaps even let it be adjusted manually by the pilot before the match, OR during the match.

https://en.wikipedia...n_harmonisation

#43 Alek Ituin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

View Postmark v92, on 16 October 2015 - 04:55 AM, said:

but they arent, and even if they did, will players understand it if you throw all that info at them? (we had months/years to learn it all)

things that we "all" learned atm but is new for newbies is:

-artimis
-ecm/bap
-ghost heat
-min/max ranges
-mech/pilot skills
-truedubs
-mechbuilding, we use an outside website

now they are introducing sensor ranges (which i like)

and on top of that they want this unlogical laser system.

I simply think its to much.
if you want to fix laser vomit just fix laser ranges and/or heat cap, dont throw another unlogical system in here

This is a "thinking man's shooter".

If you can't handle a couple minutes of reading to properly educate yourself on the mechanics of the game, you don't belong here in the first place.

#44 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:54 AM

I think 60% is a bit much, 40% or 30% might be better.

As it stands now laser in game are FAR FAR too good, they use no ammo, they hit the second the trigger is pulled, better ranges and not as heavy. There is almost no cons for a clan laserboat if you you have the room for heatsinks.

With the PTS laser nerf it might bring TTK back up because right now hawken and TF2 TTK is much higher then MWO's right now and the lock on thing might help make the teamwork better too with callouts.

#45 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 16 October 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

I think 60% is a bit much, 40% or 30% might be better.

As it stands now laser in game are FAR FAR too good, they use no ammo, they hit the second the trigger is pulled, better ranges and not as heavy. There is almost no cons for a clan laserboat if you you have the room for heatsinks.

With the PTS laser nerf it might bring TTK back up because right now hawken and TF2 TTK is much higher then MWO's right now and the lock on thing might help make the teamwork better too with callouts.

There was a time when lasers were considered bad weapons.

They need facetime, you hit a heat wall quickly in short range with pure energy builds, you have to work around ghost heat and can't take a few big weapons if you can't boat.

These very forums regularly proposed nerfs to ballistics.

Less ammo per ton they said, more frequent ammo explosions they said, OP they said - because they run cool and don't have to stop firing, OP they said - because they are pin point front loaded damage that can snapshot a hitbox before a laser user can finish their beam.

Welcome to General Discussion.

#46 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:14 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 16 October 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

There was a time when lasers were considered bad weapons.

They need facetime, you hit a heat wall quickly in short range with pure energy builds, you have to work around ghost heat and can't take a few big weapons if you can't boat.

These very forums regularly proposed nerfs to ballistics.

Less ammo per ton they said, more frequent ammo explosions they said, OP they said - because they run cool and don't have to stop firing, OP they said - because they are pin point front loaded damage that can snapshot a hitbox before a laser user can finish their beam.

Welcome to General Discussion.

AC5 HEAT IS TOO LOW ITS THE OUTLIER MAN MAKE IT BURST FIRE

#47 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:16 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 October 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

AC5 HEAT IS TOO LOW ITS THE OUTLIER MAN MAKE IT BURST FIRE

I wish that thread had never existed, all uncounted versions of it.

#48 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostKhobai, on 16 October 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

you realize that the laser changes are eventually going to effect ALL weapons right? Theyre just testing it on lasers now.

Yeah man, they are totally going to balance lasers by nerfing them and then apply that nerf to everything else that has already been nerfed.

Then, when they are done nerfing everything again - they can stand back and see if anything wiggles with any signs of life and break out the nerf nuke.

Nerf nuke testing at PGI's office.
Posted Image

Edited by Ultimatum X, 16 October 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#49 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:24 PM

View PostLordDante, on 15 October 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

lazors need focus ITS SIENCE !
Posted Image

imagine the ghost heat that thing would generate...

#50 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:24 PM

View Postl33tworks, on 16 October 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

You sir have just come up with a better idea than PGI.

This is not a difficult thing to do.

#51 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 16 October 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

Yeah man, they are totally going to balance lasers by nerfing them and then apply that nerf to everything else that has already been nerfed.

Then, when they are done nerfing everything again - they can stand back and see if anything wiggles with any signs of life and break out the nerf nuke.

Nerf nuke testing at PGI's office.
Posted Image

Mop up any survivors with Nerf assault rifles.

Posted Image

Leave no witnesses. So the Nerfinator has spoken, so it shall be done.

#52 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:31 PM

View PostKhobai, on 16 October 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

you realize that the laser changes are eventually going to effect ALL weapons right? Theyre just testing it on lasers now.

PGIs entire goal is to make infotech matter. In order to do that theyre going to require sensor locks for weapons to do full damage.

I dont think they will make this happen for all weapons. THis actually does make sense, and I agree also its a great way to make sensors matter.

The fact that lasers are hit scan makes this new mechanic make even more sense. This adds a delay of sorts to this instant pin point damage, but only under certain conditions. Again making alot of sense.

This is a 10/10 addtion to game play.

I am not so sure about the ECM changes but the fact everyone has wanted ECM to be more balanced and how ECM has behaved in TS makes me think the ECM changes are excellent to.

I can see how Some Omni pilots may not be happy with the range changes.

The rest of the changes are great and tough to argue with.

Even the Claser range changes didnt have much of an bad effect when I was piloting a stock Timberwolf on ts even. Was still easy mode.

I was even doing "OUT OF THE WAY, HERE COMES THE CHEESE!" in all caps for both teams to see and still got 3 kills that match and a win and survived. This is in a stock TImber Wolf which i have zero experience piloting. One match even rushed the other team solo. Really. Their entire team. Still won. I did back off after the initial attack, but the point was made. EASY MODE even after the changes.

I had one bad match in which a player on my team stood behind my mech without fighting and blocking me from behind. Maybe never played before? Or troll I dont know.

I still cannot believe there is a heavy mech in this game that goes 90, packs that much firepower and has that much durability.

Next time ts is busy Im taking a streak crow for a few matches......

Edited by Johnny Z, 16 October 2015 - 09:45 PM.

#53 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:57 PM

on the one hand we have Capzonen with laser barriers, so that people know whether they are still in the capzone, are now getting bigger maps have 3PV Drones

on the other hand, more and more elements are installed, completely overwhelm what new players and reduce the fighting on Solaris Arena Size

#54 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:02 PM

View PostAlek Ituin, on 16 October 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

This is a "thinking man's shooter".

If you can't handle a couple minutes of reading to properly educate yourself on the mechanics of the game, you don't belong here in the first place.

Who pays then in future salaries for PGI? the 100 elite thinking Players
most have to work thinking all day, and want to end of the workday is not to pass a study for MWO..and says Bye Bye MWO

Edited by CSJ Ranger, 16 October 2015 - 11:03 PM.

#55 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:14 AM

What if lasers did no damage beyond their optimal range like missiles?

#56 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:23 AM

Let's just clarify something. PGI didn't come up with the focusing technobabble. People speculating did - including me. And it was done because people were yelling OMG MY LOREZ DOES NOT COMPUTE(paraphrased). So yeah, I don't particularly care about the change either way, and I'll leave it to others to discuss that. But honestly, it's bloody funny how people are blaming PGI for something that part of the community was concerned about and another part of the community supplied.

#57 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:34 AM

And let's be clear, nothing in Battletech is remotely realistic. It began as a boardgame based on some Dougram illustrations. The 'Mechs look the way they do because Art, and their guns work the way they do for the same reason landing on Luxury Tax costs $75 in Monopoly.

Edited by Bleary, 17 October 2015 - 12:39 AM.

#58 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:38 AM

View PostBleary, on 17 October 2015 - 12:34 AM, said:

And let's be clear, nothing in Battletech is remotely realistic. It began as a boardgame based on some Dougram illustrations. The 'Mechs look the way they do because Art, and their guns work the way they do for the same reason landing on Luxury Tax costs $75 in Monopoly.

I always wondered why the mechs in the books could not hit anything half the time, now I know it is because of the TT.

#59 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:17 AM

i meant theyre going to make all weapons require a sensor lock to do full damage at optimum range

lasers also got a 40% max range nerf. so lasers will still be more nerfed than other weapons.

#60 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:40 AM

Every weapon should be hard to fire without propper lock on.
We should have to use a pipper for all ballistics /ppc
Weapons .
And the pipper only apears for the selected Weapon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users