25 replies to this topic

#1 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

Greetings,

I am playing this game for almost two weeks now and although I think large lasers work better I want to use PPCs more.

I have not yet developed a perfect feeling for range, so I am wondering: is the increased heat of the ER PPC worth the extra range?

I am using a Black Knight and I am not a sniper, although I make some shots at distance at the beginning of the match. But I usually end up close. Currently I mount two ER PPC and wonder if I could switch them for regular PPCs.

Thanks in advance!

#2 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

if it's close range, you're almost always better of with large pulse (unless quirks say otherwise).

#3 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

It really depends on how "up-close" you mean. To specify, ERPPCs have a longer range than PPCs, but they also have no minimum range. Regular PPCs deal no damage if you are within 90 meters of your target.

So basically, if you're going to switch to regular PPCs, you want to keep your target at medium-ish range in order to benefit from the reduced heat.

Right now, I would say that lasers are probably more powerful overall though they were a lot slower than they are now not even all that long ago. Hopefully in the next balance pass, PPCs can come back into the fold a bit more.

EDIT: Also, if you switch to regular PPCs, you need to provide your own backup weapons for within 90 meters or else you'll never kill anything.

Edited by Hornsby, 15 October 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#4 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

Ok, thanks, that helps!

I realize PPCs are not the best weapons, but to be honest my ERLL batteries are boring me already... hence my question.

Regarding the distance of my engagements: I try to keep a medium-ish distance, but I end up close (small laser range) almost always. (Largely due to my inexperience I guess). I do have medium lasers as backup, so I am not too worried about that.
But what about long distance battles? How common are engagements outside the PPC range? This probably depends on the map. On some I don't think closing the distance is a problem, but on maps like Canyon or Alpine Peaks...?

#5 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

IS lpls sound really bada$$.

#6 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

ER PPC's are too hot for my taste. There are a few mechs with quirks for them, but they will most likely be changing soon anyway. It's all about personal opinion though. As long as you have some back up weapons, or aren't boating PPC's exclusively, the minimum range isn't really an issue.

Large Pulse are excellent weapons, I prefer them to PPC's. Plus you can fire three at the same time, compared to PPC's two.

And yes, they sound awesome.

#7 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:21 PM

While the lasers are better, in general, PPC's do have some advantages. One thing that comes to mind first is that you can simply pop your arm around the corner, shoot the PPC, and then return to cover (because it is a Particle Projection Cannon) without having to engage the target for the same duration which you would with a laser. In some ways, it is a LPL with no beam duration.

Great for poking (but, as a general tip, peeking and poking should not be overused)

^^

#8 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

The main problem with them right now is the problematic hit detection, that is to say many times you might hit a target , even a stationary one and it might flash like it got hit but no damage will be applied or other times the bolt will just pass through a target dealing 0 damage and not even register a hit.

With most other weapons it still might happen but when you waste 10/15 heat on a "miss" not counting that not all the shots you make will hit, no one is that good :) , it is painful to relay on them at this point when other players will use the reliable lasers to fire back...

Also ERPPCs have a faster projectile speed so that helps hit targets. I found them somewhat usable when using only 1 ERPPC and some colder weapons like ac5 or 10.

#9 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

Also remember that PPCs act like ballistics in that you have to lead your target, and it is a relatively slow glob of particles. LPLs are hitscan so you just point and shoot. Dodging PPCs is almost as easy as dodging LRMs if you see the bolt coming.

ERPPCs particles move slightly faster. IS PPC particles move at 1100m/s while the ERPPCs go 1200m/s. Not much of a difference, but it is there. Whereas LPLs pretty much hit instantaneously.

The only redeeming factor of PPCs of any type, although not very redeeming, is they transfer heat to your target causing them to have to shoot their own weapons slower. The trade off is not worth it though as I have never seen anybody have to shut down because they got hit with a PPC.

#10 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostGolrar, on 15 October 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

The only redeeming factor of PPCs of any type, although not very redeeming, is they transfer heat to your target causing them to have to shoot their own weapons slower. The trade off is not worth it though as I have never seen anybody have to shut down because they got hit with a PPC.

Sorry but no they don't , they do shut down ecm for a time and clan ERPPC does 5 extra splash damage ( 2.5dmg to 2 next components ) but that's it.

Check for reference http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment .

Edited by Nik Reaper, 15 October 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#11 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

PPCs - do no damage between 0-90 meters so they are good for ranged shooting when you have enough backup weapons to protect your Mech at close range.

ERPPCs - good when you want ranged shooting and can tolerate higher heat, probably best for builds with little backup weapons.

LPLs - good for close to mid range punch.

#12 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:19 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 15 October 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

Sorry but no they don't , they do shut down ecm for a time and clan ERPPC does 5 extra splash damage ( 2.5dmg to 2 next components ) but that's it.

Check for reference http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment .

Which is probably why I never saw anybody have trouble. lol

I stand corrected, and thank you.

#13 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:46 PM

I personally prefer standard IS ppcs. Two thirds the heat, same damage, slight range fall off, can't face hug. For any energy mech, multiple ERppcs is just throwing away heat for inferior damage. Only reallygood for sniping builds, or limited Energy builds.

With normal ppcs, ten heat gets me ten damage within my usual engagement range. Okay, well, half my usual engagement range. I'm working on brawling from just a bit further away to stop blocking teammates shots.

~Leone

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:53 PM

ERPPCs are good for 'mechs which are quirked for them, or for Light 'mechs in a harassing role. They're simply too hot to be useful otherwise.

#15 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:32 PM

Unless your mech have quirks for ERPPC, you shouldn't take more than a pair of them.
I don't have a Black Knight, but I pilot Awesome with ER/PPC loadout.

ER(Extended Range) PPC does what the name say, hitting further.
Unless you are a good shot with one, ERPPC should not be your primary weaponry.
Start out with regular PPC to practice leading long range target.
Always bring backup weapons like 3 or 4 medium lasers, so that you will not overheat when the enemy surprise you in close range.

As for engagement range, I will start poking with PPC at around 600m~700m if I have a clear shot. Will shot at any big slow target within 400m~500m repeatably, but not going to waste PPC on fast light unless he is looking the other way.

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:37 PM

For engagement range,
in the early stages of the match there is frequently some exchange of fire past standard PPC optimum range, however that tends to be Mechs sticking there head up just long enough to fire an ERLL then getting back into cover, due to travel time the ERPPC is unlikely to do much good in those situations as the target will be moving.

In my opinion the no minimum range of the ERPPC is far more useful than the increased max range.

#17 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:43 PM

I use the ERPPC for their range instead, since my ERPPC loadout is for CW.
In CW, people tend to bring the biggest mech they can cramp into the drop deck, which also mean many big slow target to snipe at.

Up close I rather rely on my backup weapons instead of taking the heat from ER/PPC.

#18 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:56 AM

Good advice here, thanks.

I personally hope the PPC will regain its place as premium long range energy weapon. Perhaps when the lasers get a reduced range, the PPC will shine.

#19 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:17 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 15 October 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

Ok, thanks, that helps!

I realize PPCs are not the best weapons, but to be honest my ERLL batteries are boring me already... hence my question.

Regarding the distance of my engagements: I try to keep a medium-ish distance, but I end up close (small laser range) almost always. (Largely due to my inexperience I guess). I do have medium lasers as backup, so I am not too worried about that.
But what about long distance battles? How common are engagements outside the PPC range? This probably depends on the map. On some I don't think closing the distance is a problem, but on maps like Canyon or Alpine Peaks...?

PPCs are bad for extreme long range fighting because they don't have a lot of range in themselves unless you have a heavily quirked mech like an Awesome. They are mostly good for hitting slow moving targets or ones that don't know you are shooting at them otherwise they are very easy to dodge.

The difference between AC/5s or UAC/5s and PPCs is that the former weapon cycles faster. You can adjust after a second and shoot again. PPCs have a long cycle time so once you miss that's usually it and your target goes into hiding.

#20 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,717 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:21 AM

And you can check which weapon quirks works with each weapon by clicking on the weapon itself.

And mechs with PPC quirks work for both PPC and ERPPC as it is a general PPC quirk, but if there is an ERPPC quirk (specific) that one only works for ERPPC and not for PPCs.

Energy quirks work with both lasers and PPC/ERPPCs, but ballistic quirks do not work with PPC/ERPPC.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 October 2015 - 04:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users