BattleTech Primer From Catalyst Game Labs!

29 replies to this topic

#21 Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:25 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 20 October 2015 - 06:11 AM, said:

Okay, went to the link... What mech is this?? I want one in MWO! :D
Posted Image

Legacy, from the Word of Blake.

#22 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:33 AM

It's great that the focus is on the Succession Wars era and everything that led up to it. Even the creators of BattleTech said adding the Clans really screwed the game up. Adding the Clans to MWO created a ton of problems for the same reason and PGI has been trying to fix them ever since.

#23 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:53 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 20 October 2015 - 06:22 AM, said:

Agree with everything you say except for the above. I think that all of the artwork, even some of the older ones which may seem dated or poor, actually add to the document. It shows the evolution of Battletech over 30 years and shows the character of what Battletech is.

But overall, agree with your assessment.

To each their own. I've found that, in trying to get people into Battletech, the dated artwork and some of the old minis quickly turn people off. The older looks mostly have not stood the test of time all that well.

Now, granted, if it were something like a 30th anniversary book or something, then I'm all for adding old artwork and showing where things have come from and where they're going. However, this is supposed to be a primer for bringing new people to the game. Normally old and terribly outdated artwork is not the best route to go for that, especially when there's so much new and great artwork out there.

#24 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 20 October 2015 - 06:11 AM, said:

Okay, went to the link... What mech is this?? I want one in MWO! :D
Posted Image

It's LGC-01 Legacy.

80-ton thickly-armored Assault 'Mech armed with a pair of shoulder-mounted Ultracannon-10s, arm-mounted ER lasers and Streak SRM-4 for some critseeking. Jump Jets give it a good mobility.

However, it's from 3064 while MWO is in 3052.

#25 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostDemos, on 20 October 2015 - 06:25 AM, said:

Legacy, from the Word of Blake.

View Postmartian, on 20 October 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

It's LGC-01 Legacy.

80-ton thickly-armored Assault 'Mech armed with a pair of shoulder-mounted Ultracannon-10s, arm-mounted ER lasers and Streak SRM-4 for some critseeking. Jump Jets give it a good mobility.

However, it's from 3064 while MWO is in 3052.

Pretty badass... Thanks :3

#26 Desintegrator

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

Nice lecture....

#27 corpse256

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNebraska, USA

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

View PostRed Legs Greaves, on 19 October 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:

I don't read books because I don't want to live somebody else's life.

But seriously your gaming selection must be very small if you only play games with no story.

Its actually quite big, but I don't play games for a story experince, Its the gameplay that keeps players coming back not a story. Even though stories do explain reasons for doing tasks in a game, I just don't feel the need to have a rich story for a great gaming experince. Not that I'm hating on anyone that enjoys those types of games, its just that I have diffrent values in games than other people. I guess I'm an old school gamer.

Edited by corpse256, 20 October 2015 - 12:02 PM.

#28 scruffy416

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 19 October 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

I wish there were people in my area who played Battletech TT... I would love to get into that :3

You could try playing it over Tabletop Simulator - I took a quick look and there are BT boards and assets being created and posted on Steam Workshops. Not exactly the same as real tabletop, but better than a 60 mile drive...

I should have looked a bit more on the MWO forums!

http://mwomercs.com/...etop-simulator/

edit: added forum URL

Edited by scruffy416, 20 October 2015 - 08:42 PM.

#29 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:15 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 19 October 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

The card game came out when Magic The Gathering was insanely popular (and not online yet) and Pokemon was just coming out (and was insanely popular with little kids). I remember seeing the cards on the shelf, but I did not know anyone who played it and did not have enough money at the time to buy both BATTLETECH and Magic The Gathering Cards. I was still playing BATTLETECH table top though.

That sums up anything with real life and requires a thing for more then 1 player.

Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Magic the gathering
battletech
Warhammer 40k

anything, everything. something. No one EVER plays these when I was around and often I move before I can go play one of these or buy the cards/ pieces to play it with someone I Just met in the area who does it...

#30 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:35 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 20 October 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

That sums up anything with real life and requires a thing for more then 1 player.

Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Magic the gathering
battletech
Warhammer 40k

anything, everything. something. No one EVER plays these when I was around and often I move before I can go play one of these or buy the cards/ pieces to play it with someone I Just met in the area who does it...

Yeah, I had finally gotten a regular gaming group together my senior year of highschool, but then everyone graduated and got jobs, got married, joined the military..etc..

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users