#1 yenlow

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:05 AM

Hi all,

just wanted to say quite a fun game,

but as a new player i have found there's no point in using IS mech's.

Clan mechs for the win, why you ask , well simple, nearly all clan mechs have ECM fitted and make using some weapons redundant (LRM boats ), where as most except a few IS mechs are able or have the ability to equip the ECM module, massive advantage to the side with the most equipped ECM mech's.

I know the devs are working on this at the moment. but to me as a new player it seems to little to late .

At this stage of the time line should not all mechs be using clan weapons and parts etc, just seems that the IS are forced into staying with the same templates for mechs when after the clan invasion they was picking up and using IS mechs out fitted with clan tech and weapons but in this game where not able to.

Game::: quick battle is outstanding and sometimes funny and keeps you coming back for more, (BEST PART OF THE GAME)

CW ;;; now this is a let down, this should be the crowning glory of the game, with battles raging over the planets and systems but seems so static and no change, ie drop, kill , rinse repeat, this part of the game should be dynamic and ever changing.

Sorry for going on but i thought if i put my thoughts down here it might help me to continue to play this game that has so much going for it and loads of potential it could be come with a little bit of work and love.

thank you for reading
yenlow

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:40 AM

Hi yenlow

sorry but you are mistaken in some of your points, out of the 16 Clan Mechs currently available 5 can fit ECM,

out of 40 IS Mechs, all of which have at least 3 varients, many have 5 or more, 8 have a single variant capable of fitting an ECM

the vast majority of Mechs cannot fit ECM

while it is true ECM is very powerful ECM is not usualy, in my experience, the deciding factor in winning a match.

sorry but we are still a few years off mixed tech designs, if PGI decide to include them.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 23 October 2015 - 05:42 AM.

#3 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:20 PM

Give me IS mechs any day. That LPL...so good, and even better for as long as we have weapon quirks.

#4 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:39 PM

Though i can understand why OP may think Clans all have ECM, especially in CW.
The go to clan light has ECM, one of the most popular Clan heavies has ECM, Shadowcat has ECM.
IS mechs with ECM that are popular.....................none really.

And Clan mechs are so tough to kill due to the unkillable XL engine. Thats really tough to compete with for IS mechs.

Edited by Ace Selin, 23 October 2015 - 07:42 PM.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,683 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

And for the mechs w/ECM variants, those pods can be changed out, making it appear as if more mechs have ECM.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:14 PM

Reasons to pilot IS mechs:

The lights are FASTER (a LOT faster, actually, even with the Arctic Cheetah in game now).
They make better LRM boats (which will likely become relevant again with the next rebalance).
They have ridiculously good quirks.
They're cheaper.
No Clan hero mechs, and only one Clan champion mech, so far (for when you want to grind the crap out of some GXP or C-Bills).
MAD PROPS if you solo kill a Dire Wolf or Timber Wolf with a non-hero Locust.

So yeah. That's a few right off the top of my head. Try THIS on, though: The ONLY CW drops I've played so far have been in IS mechs, and of those several matches I think I've been in on more victories than losses. They were all versus Clan mechs, and I have NEVER played in a 12-man in CW. AND I suck at this game. Let that sink in...

#7 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:23 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 24 October 2015 - 06:14 PM, said:

Dire Whales are the primary source of C-bills in a Locust's diet.

#8 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 24 October 2015 - 06:14 PM, said:

Reasons to pilot IS mechs:

The lights are FASTER (a LOT faster, actually, even with the Arctic Cheetah in game now).
They make better LRM boats (which will likely become relevant again with the next rebalance).
They have ridiculously good quirks.
They're cheaper.
No Clan hero mechs, and only one Clan champion mech, so far (for when you want to grind the crap out of some GXP or C-Bills).

So yeah. That's a few right off the top of my head. Try THIS on, though: The ONLY CW drops I've played so far have been in IS mechs, and of those several matches I think I've been in on more victories than losses. They were all versus Clan mechs, and I have NEVER played in a 12-man in CW. AND I suck at this game. Let that sink in...

clan heroes exist as invasion variants if you just want c-bills :)

#9 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:30 AM

IS and Clan mechs are kind of balanced because of the following reasons:
The higher damage and range and the lower weight of the clan weapons come hand in hand with disadvantages as UAC shooting in salves and lasers with a higher burning time or splash damage of the C-ER PPCs.

Even though clan omnimechs should have more tons for weapons, they have many fixed (cant be removed) double heatsinks or/and jumpjets, which results in a max loadout of the (f.E.) warhawk) of around 33 tons, while a IS Battlemaster (same class, both 85 tons) got a max of 31 tons loadout with a normal engine.

So all in all they are kind of balanced.Price of the Clan omnimechs is around double compared to the is mechs. But therefore you dont need to buy Endosteel or Doubleheatsinks on your omnimechs and you can sell at least one variant of a mech and just keep the omnipods to still have the full variabilty of all existing weaponslots for a chassis.

So they are balanced!
Just the Laserquirks of the IS seem a bit unfair to me, but hopefully the rebalance will change that

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

Clan mechs dominate at range. It's a little better balanced up close.

#11 DR4GONFLYE

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:27 PM

I'm new and I do not like the way the clan mechs overheat easily. If you cannot manage heat, like most rookie pilots, stay out of the clan mechs until you learn to manage. ECM is great for counter lurm cover but it's not an insta-win. A red flag goes up and I usually put my Banshee's back to a wall when I see "low signal" in my cockpit. ECM lights get their shins kicked if they get too close lol.

#12 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:29 PM

View PostDR4GONFLYE, on 25 October 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

A red flag goes up and I usually put my Banshee's back to a wall when I see "low signal" in my cockpit.

Hey newbie pilots of ECM mechs! This works both ways! If you see a red X over your ECM indicator on the right side of the hud, someone is close enough to counter your ECM. Think about switching to counter mode so they don't detect you via DR4GONFLYE's tip. Just be aware that doing so will make your presence known to nearby ECM enemies in the same way my tip lets you know that someone has BAP or CECM on you, and that your defence against certain things (read: lock-on missiles and info warfare) will be weakened.

#13 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostDR4GONFLYE, on 25 October 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

I'A red flag goes up and I usually put my Banshee's back to a wall when I see "low signal" in my cockpit.

Good ECM lights, the sort i often see will turn their ECM to counter when they spot Assaults/Heavies from further away and are coming in for the kill, so there is no "low Signal" warning. But understand many average players do not entertain this notion.

#14 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:13 PM

If I don't see that any enemy has LoS to me, and I'm running up for a shot at that thin back armor, I do that. Once the secret's out, the ECM comes right back on, of course. I also like to be sure that they're moving before I close to within 250m, in order to avoid detection on Seismic Sensor. Sometimes, I'll also pop a UAV overhead directly behind them from >50m, in order that they don't hear the UAV deploy but my teammates can see what I'm up against.

ALL THE MORE REASON to not leave your assaults/heavies behind in a movement to contact. They're slow and easy to pick off from behind. That ACH, now that the -C RA omnipod is available for C-Bills, can throw a 36-point alpha into its target, and do it at least twice on non-hot maps without heat problems, at a sprint and with significant JJ use. And it has the speed to disappear quickly from any assault mech. Imagine a pack of 3 or 4 of those bad boys all doing the same thing (save for the UAV, as redundant deployments would be kinda pointless). Kiss 2-3 assaults goodbye in about 20-30 seconds. BTDT.

The advice to put the mech's back to the wall when light packs are suspected? It's the best chance an assault or slow heavy has. Heading out into open water in a DWF with an ACH obviously looking for you? Bad idea. Doubly so when your mech is already open and cherry red CT. Those cSPLs are phenomenal, even when vaulting OVER the top of another mech...

#15 Donatello Jones

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:23 PM

In PUGs its "every man for himself" most of the time. I have been on the receiving end of an 8 total damage game over recently because I went to help out a guy that strayed from the herd and got caught in a flanking maneuver. STAY WITH THE GROUP for the most part.

If you run a light mech and get shot at, run back to the herd then try to find a way to flank their herd but dont stand still (been there and done that...match over.) If you hit them from the flank move to another spot immediately to get a shot or to scout or to get your mech outta there. The big boys can alpha your face if you peek twice from the same spot...again...match over.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users