51 replies to this topic

#1 Warchild Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 478 posts
  • LocationGER

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

Okay the DevLog #15 had the devs mentioning a rework of the pilot model so I thought to expand on customization options for the pilot. Since a rework of some skill system would probably be way out of scope I wanted to focus on optical options visible on the pilot model ONLY.

I asked a few guys in my unit and we came up with the following list:
  • different base models for the pilot (male, female, different skin colours, thick, slender, musculous,...)
  • different variants of clothing like cooling vests or underwear (since the cockpit is hot and who would wear clothes in the sauna?)
  • tattoos
  • dog tags and bracelets
  • weapons (like the famous Sternsnacht gun)
  • spots in various colours (since so many Mechwarriors drive with coffee mugs who spill easily)
  • scars or artifical limbs
  • cooling vests or clothing with colouring options
  • rank insigniae related to the CW rank (great reward for events btw)
  • generally a sort of "pilot lab" where we can customize these options ourself as opposed to an idea where basically a 4th cockpit customization slot is added where you can choose from different pilots
  • changeable hair styles
  • different helmets and helmet decorations, visible when you press the "tab" key
  • "Hero"/special cooling vests like the one Grayson D. Carlyle wore (some sort of Star League outfit)
  • differentiation pilot name / callsign - the latter being visible on the Mech or on the clothing/helmet
Do you like these ideas? Hate em? Have your own? Please add some below - I really want to see if this is cool or not.

o7

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:30 PM

Customize pilot model, face + outfit (add helmet option in case people dislike the art style for the faces).
Have portrait appear when doing coms
Have portrait appear in forums

#3 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

The Sims, MWO Edition.

#4 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostElizander, on 25 October 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

Have portrait appear when doing coms

And then for those with webcams, we could have something like FaceRig animating the pilot's face!

#5 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostSagamore, on 25 October 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

And then for those with webcams, we could have something like FaceRig animating the pilot's face!

Uncanny Valley here we come!!!!!

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:35 PM

why?

wouldnt the modelers time be better spent on making map assets like vehicles?

we still need a gamemode with npc vehicles to help put into perspective how big our mechs really are

#7 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:56 PM

Elemental Armor!

#8 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

I know I haven't really played the game in awhile, but when do we ever see the pilot model for any of those changes to even mean anything? I only ever remember seeing the legs or arms...

#9 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

I want nothing but a cooling vest and underwear.
And the hairiest legs possible.

#10 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

I think it should be limited to build, outfit/uniform, colors/patters and maybe artificial limbs could be a special purchase item - let's not let this get out of hand. Before you know it we'll have options to look like Wookies or anime schoolgirls.

#11 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

I guess I don't spend enough time looking around my cockpit to even care about what the pilot looks like.

The fact that the customization prices are going to be incredibly ridiculous for something you basically never see is also a pretty big turn off and makes this seem like a pretty large waste of time.

#12 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

So theyre going to change the pilot model before fixing the pilot skill tree?

K.

#13 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

I'd like more cockpit options first but Facerig looks really cool.

-k

#14 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:00 PM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 25 October 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

The Sims, MWO Edition.

Is Fallout 4 the SIMS? Is Eve? This game isnt called Mech its called Mechwarrior. Its been missing the warrior/player part is one of its biggest weaknesses and it is even a kind of irony.

- Player character faction has been improved but needs more depth. The so called "CW phase 3" will help with this alot.
- Player character creation none existant.
- Player character interaction with the Battletech universe off the field, just hurtin. This includes story and lore etc.

Huge subject, but point made. Whats in game now is awsome and improving, alot needs to be added for a more feature complete game.

About the topic, this is yet another great comment on Mechwarrior Online development heard recenty.

Looking forward to the podcast and even more to Steam launch since, like i said many times before, im sure there is some or even alot of content stockpiled for steam launch and after.

Edited by Johnny Z, 25 October 2015 - 03:10 PM.

#15 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

Ok ... please don't take this the wrong way ... but with the extensive list of development items already on the table for PGI ... why would they waste development and artist time on such a completely non-essential an arguably useless addition to the game like character portraits and pilot models?

Does it have any effect on game play? No.
Does it have any impact on revenue? Not unless they can actually get someone to pay something for it.

Does it have an impact on costs? Yes since it requires artist and developer time to implement.
Does it impact the development of other more important tasks? Yes. They only have a limited number of artists and developers who could be working on essential code or map development or any number of more useful tasks than pilot appearance.

EVE online went through a very similar debacle with "Walking in Stations" when the developer thought it would be cool to provide 3D rendered images of the characters rather than core game play development. Eventually they listened to the player base when they disagreed, loudly, with the path the developer had chosen.

If PGI starts wasting development resources so that the pilots can walk around their mech, admire the view and see themselves reflected in the shiny armor ... then maybe it will be time to give up on PGI and MWO.

#16 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostMawai, on 25 October 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

Ok ... please don't take this the wrong way ... but with the extensive list of development items already on the table for PGI ... why would they waste development and artist time on such a completely non-essential an arguably useless addition to the game like character portraits and pilot models?

Does it have any effect on game play? No.
Does it have any impact on revenue? Not unless they can actually get someone to pay something for it.

Does it have an impact on costs? Yes since it requires artist and developer time to implement.
Does it impact the development of other more important tasks? Yes. They only have a limited number of artists and developers who could be working on essential code or map development or any number of more useful tasks than pilot appearance.

EVE online went through a very similar debacle with "Walking in Stations" when the developer thought it would be cool to provide 3D rendered images of the characters rather than core game play development. Eventually they listened to the player base when they disagreed, loudly, with the path the developer had chosen.

If PGI starts wasting development resources so that the pilots can walk around their mech, admire the view and see themselves reflected in the shiny armor ... then maybe it will be time to give up on PGI and MWO.

Quite possibly the weakest arguement ever made on the internets. You should get a trophy or something. :)

Its so weak I am trying to find a relevant response. Look at Star Citizen and their game play videos, 90% which features the player character and not in cockpit.

Eve only survives today because of its character creation addition.

You know how those games stack up to Mechwarrior Online game play? Or will? They dont or wont.

Edited by Johnny Z, 25 October 2015 - 03:26 PM.

#17 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:28 PM

I don't think PGI should spend too much time and money on the new pilot model. Nor do I think they will. It's almost certainly going to be a single model, without customization.

Custom cosmetic mech geometry before pilot model customization plx.

View PostJohnny Z, on 25 October 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

Quite possibly the weakest arguement ever made on the internets.
Its so weak I am trying to find a relevant response. Look at Star Citizen and their game play videos, 90% which features the player character and not in cockpit.

Uhm. How is that a strong counter argument? Star Citizen is an unbelievably multi-faceted game where you can (or will be able to) actually move around on foot, go shopping planetside, ride ground vehicles, engage in gunfights like a FPS, work as a space flight stewardess and go to the toilet.

MWO has absolutely zero ambitions for any of the above.

#18 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 25 October 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

I don't think PGI should spend too much time and money on the new pilot model. Nor do I think they will. It's almost certainly going to be a single model, without customization.

Custom cosmetic mech geometry before pilot model customization plx.

Uhm. How is that a strong counter argument? Star Citizen is an unbelievably multi-faceted game where you can (or will be able to) actually move around on foot, go shopping planetside, ride ground vehicles, engage in gunfights like a FPS, work as a space flight stewardess and go to the toilet.

MWO has absolutely zero ambitions for any of the above.

vv^^ My point made + troll. ^^vv)

Edited by Johnny Z, 25 October 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#19 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 25 October 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

^^ My point made + troll. ^^ :)

I blame public schools for my lack of reading comprehension.

#20 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

Doom Guy Volunteers. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users