8 replies to this topic

#1 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:36 AM

The situations I choose to use targeting computers are where I don't have any space or hard points for anything else, when I use an ECM mech where a Probe is a bit of a waste and when I don't have a need for that extra heat sink.

I was wondering if many people use any of the Clan targeting computers above mark 1 or 2.
Now I personally don't as I don't see the big targeting computers being any real benefit over extra weapons or heat sinks, but maybe some in the community do find a use for them.

#2 Skarlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 328 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

View PostBespoke Cheese Cake, on 27 October 2015 - 03:36 AM, said:

The situations I choose to use targeting computers are where I don't have any space or hard points for anything else, when I use an ECM mech where a Probe is a bit of a waste and when I don't have a need for that extra heat sink.

I was wondering if many people use any of the Clan targeting computers above mark 1 or 2.
Now I personally don't as I don't see the big targeting computers being any real benefit over extra weapons or heat sinks, but maybe some in the community do find a use for them.

Loading out a mech is a series of complex value judgments if you are trying to optimize it for max performance. Long story short, if you look at the bonuses the TC gives, you see why it scales so poorly above a TC1.

For TC1, the biggest effect is faster target info gathering. So basically for 1 ton and 1 crit slots, you get almost the same effect as an entire mech module! The other bonuses are somewhat insignificant. Crit chance is nice but it only works on exposed components. It is however the only way to increase the actual damage of your lasers and projectile weapons, so it does help somewhat in finishing off weakened mechs for only a single ton.

For six more tons and six more crit slots, your bonuses only significantly increase for target info gathering and crit chance. It's not worth it to spend 6 more tons and 6 more crit slots for almost instant targeting info and a little more than 10% extra crit chance on exposed components. You're basically trading a large pulse laser, ERPPC, or 6 heat sinks for those bonuses. It's just not worth it. I have seen a few people try a big targeting computer on a Warhawk with UAC/10s to up the balllistic velocity, but I wouldn't recommend it after having tried it myself.

#3 DarthHias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:21 AM

I like the TC1 for Lasers/PPCs/ACs. I only use a bigger one on my Warhawk Prime for the PPC projectile speed, I think i got a MK4 in there.

#4 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:38 AM

It doesn't scale very well past TC1. This is a fact. TC1 is a decent bonus for 1s/1t. The bonuses don't get that much better as you go up. Lots of clan players standardize around the TC1. If you don't have it on a build, it should probably be on the build unless you need that extra ton for something else more important (armor).

Having said that, I think I have a joke pulse laser gargoyle that uses a TC3, and I know I have my joke Shadowcat 6 MG build that has something bigger than TC1 (I think its a TC3 but it could be a TC2 or TC4). I don't think any non-joke builds use anything bigger than TC1.

#5 InsaneRotta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInside a cheap barely functioning dropship.

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:43 AM

View PostSkarlock, on 27 October 2015 - 04:15 AM, said:

I have seen a few people try a big targeting computer on a Warhawk with UAC/10s to up the balllistic velocity, but I wouldn't recommend it after having tried it myself.

Aw shoot! I had hoped to try this in the future. I would've made a dual dakka Warhawk, so not sure if you had only one.

#6 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:06 AM

When I don't use a TC:
- when I do not have the space.
- when I have a decent loadout of Missiles. TCs give bonuses to the other 2 but nothing to Missiles so what's the point?

When I do use it:
- when I have a loadout of mainly Energy and Ballisitic. Increased Beam ranges, projectile speed and crit chance for both matters.
- when I want a larger sensor range.
- Info Gathering boost combined with TIG modules I use allows fast info on where my target is weakest to place shots.

Speaking of, I have yet to see someone use the IS CC. It gives better Zoom and Sensor bonuses and occupies less critical spots that the TC3 but worse Info Gathering and can only be Head mounted.

Overall, I think with the PTS changes going on, there needs to be changes to TCs and the CC.
TCs should have extended beam ranges removed.
CC needs more of a reason to consider using it.
Both should possibly get Missile range extensions starting at the 3 ton versions and going up from there.
While the IS had only the CC from canon, we could consider a SC (Scout Console).
Lightweight consoles should really be more about improving Scouting functions than combat.

#7 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:58 AM

Nice ideas.

#8 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:27 AM

Basically use a TC1 on most mechs. The saved weight/space is usually better spent on DHS/ammo

But, if you Warhawk, keep 1 of each TC because Warhawks have wonky space limitations and sometimes there is nothing better than a Big TC for range/velocity.

I use big TC on my ERPPC/ERLL Warhawks.
ERLL Warhawk + range module can get you out to @800m+ optimal...if you can clear terrain to make those shots.

#9 Marcel Bekker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:14 AM

Meh, there is no real reason to use the larger TCs. In Tabletop, a TC has the same effect regardless of size/mass. However, the size/mass of the TC depends on the mass of the linked weapons, for every 5 tons of weapons the TC size increases by 1 ton and 1 crit. That is why the Warhawk has a 5 ton TC standard, because its ERPPCs weigh a combined 24 tons.

I don't understand why PGI couldn't just implement it this way... lazyness?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users